Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App for the Apple Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Apple Watch app integration....

During Apple's Keynote today they announced Apple Watch. One of the 3rd party apps they showed was one for the BMW i3 in which charge status was displayed.

It occurred to me that a really cool feature would be to combine the Apple Watch with the new feature of the Tesla App that allows one to drive the car without the key. How cool would it be to be able to hop in and drive the car with only the watch/phone combo? Perhaps updated hardware could include an NFC sensor that would allow one to unlock the car with a wave of the watch.

Certainly there are security considerations that would have to be addressed but this seems really cool to me.

Can't imagine it would take much to at least port the Tesla phone app to the Apple Watch. Likely better integrated than the BMW app they showed.

bmw-i-apple-watch-750x500.jpg
hgz5nvq9sm9s2wkwjkna.jpg

If that is so, what is Starwood Hotels using to enable the Apple Watch to open locked hotel room doors?

Hotels are moving the NFC-equipped locks and away from mag stripe readers in doors. Apple said during the presentation that all W hotel locations world wide will be able to use the Apple watch app by this spring.

I'm sure it will work with the iPhone 6 and some android phones with NFC and Starwood's app.

this will enable some cool things -- like check in to your hotel while in the taxi from the airport, never visit the front desk and and go straight to your room. Then check out from the app too...

I hope this integration happens! It'd be handy to check charge amount from the watch.

I wonder why do we need the Tesla key fob at all? Is it bluetooth-based? It would be great to have it tethered to the Watch so that one can just drive away wearing the watch. No fob required. The watch has buttons & UI so unlocking/locking could be done from there (for non-tech package owners).

During Apple's Keynote today they announced Apple Watch. One of the 3rd party apps they showed was one for the BMW i3 in which charge status was displayed.

It occurred to me that a really cool feature would be to combine the Apple Watch with the new feature of the Tesla App that allows one to drive the car without the key. How cool would it be to be able to hop in and drive the car with only the watch/phone combo?

I don't understand what the Apple Watch would be needed for since the iPhone will be all you need to get in the car and drive with V6, right?

I was amused that the Apple presenter failed to say the name of the BMW EV, "i3", I'm sure BMW was disappointed.

What if we crowdsourced developing a storyboard for what the Tesla Apple Watch app would look like here? Anyone here able to take a crack at developing it if the UX were designed by the owners here?
Once Xcode is updated, development will be trivial, presuming we have access to the Tesla API. IMO, the challenge will be getting it into the App Store, which I doubt will happen without Tesla's blessing.

I think they may have achieved this by making 100% = 85%(actual).

Sorry to hijack the thread but if BMW does this, then it doesn't make any sense, especially since it has so little range in the first place. We charge our Leaf to 80% daily but when we need extra range we charge it to 100%. If you drive right away after charging to 100%, then it doesn't really hurt the battery, especially if you don't do it constantly. I find it hard to believe they would lock out the top 15% in a BMW.

The Apple Watch will be a programmable platform. As with the original iPhone, it was a technology in search of applications. Once the Apple Watch is out for a while, and developers/programmers get their hands on it, I predict an explosion in apps. With NFC and integration with iPhone, TM or another 3rd party will likely have enhanced tools to work with our vehicles. Patience.....