Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2.5 The new Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ryanjm

Tesla Podcast Host
Oct 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Roadster 3.0 coming this summer

Hey all,

Just got back from a test drive at Menlo Park in a brand-new Roadster Sport with 59 miles on it (it was a make-good from when they canceled on me during last week's San Jose Santana Row event), and in discussing the car after the drive I was told that the 3.0 revision is coming "in a couple months" (exact quote) and will have a redesigned front end, different rear air diffusers to increase aerodynamics, and a backup camera.

The new front end "makes it look meaner" (exact quote), but when I asked if this redesign would conveniently double as a way to eliminate the moisture-trapped-in-headlights problem, the Tesla rep didn't know. But hopefully it means better headlights -- and ones that won't fog up.

God I love this car. :tongue: Wish I could afford it. I could really get used to the acceleration -- not to mention never stopping for gas again. Got a few thumbs-ups and "Nice car!"s even in my short 30-minute drive.

Uhm, no, it's not obsolete until all the gas-burners are gone ;-).

There are always going to be a continuous stream of improvements, tweaks, etc. I'm just glad that Tesla has been looking into letting us get some of the upgrades piecemeal. I wouldn't trade the 2.5 years I waited and the year I've had the car for the fancy newness - it's been so worth it. And I know that in a few years, when I'm ready to trade up to v7somethingmumble, that those improvements together will add up to an even more amazing experience.

I want Tesla to survive and thrive - and I know that means rapid introductions of those improvements, and that will definitely include things that can't be retrofitted. That's the technology cycle - ship and iterate, constant incremental improvement. And if Tesla is on that pace, great, because that will blow Detroit away.

Just got back from a test drive at Menlo Park in a brand-new Roadster Sport (it was a make-good from when they canceled on me during last week's San Jose Santana Row event)... Got a few thumbs-ups and "Nice car!"s even in my short 30-minute drive.

I think the drives in San Jose were rather brief and the roads around Santana row were busy and congested, so you probably did well to get a better/longer test drive through Menlo Park.

The Tesla sales rep I talked to said that having a moveable steering column would require getting it crash tested again so I imagine something like that wouldn't be out until the Roadster gets totally redesigned.

thank goodness. The lotus look just wasn't doing it for me, and having their cars follow a similar design language will be extremely beneficial to the branding.

Hope those pics make it to autoblog or something. If it's sexy, I want! Is it supposed to be a model coming out before or after the S?