Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Texas store locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Has anyone watched the Tesla IPO presentation?
http://www.retailroadshow.com/roadshows.asp

Not a lot of new news but very interesting. They do show a map briefly halfway through the presentation with future sites. It's a world map so Texas is very small on the screen but it looks like the locations are Houston and Dallas if I have that right. Can anyone verify that? Too bad it's not San Antonio or Austin but anywhere in Texas would be nice. Think the closest place now is 1000 miles.

Dave

Here is a grab:

attachment.php?attachmentid=714&d=1277563706.png

Attachments

• Distribution.png
    Distribution.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 841
Oft-overlooked factoid. . . Houston is the 4th largest city in the USA. Why is it taking so long, I wonder?

I also wonder how Tesla is going to work around the obnoxious dealership laws in Texas. Last I heard, it was illegal for car makers to sell directly to the public in Texas.

I also wonder how Tesla is going to work around the obnoxious dealership laws in Texas. Last I heard, it was illegal for car makers to sell directly to the public in Texas.

It's my understanding that those laws are exactly why Tesla doesn't have any stores there. Georgia, and another state I've forgotten have these same types of laws.

Aren't there lots of Texas politicians always going on and on about the free market? It don't sound so free down there to me...

I've written to my state senator twice about this. It appears to be some law put in place to protect dealerships from competition. A bill to fix this was introduced last session (they only meet every 2 years here) but didn't make it out of committee. Texas is obviously an oil state and is really missing out on wind, solar and other green efforts from what I've gathered in the last year living here.

Dave

I've written to my state senator twice about this. It appears to be some law put in place to protect dealerships from competition. A bill to fix this was introduced last session (they only meet every 2 years here) but didn't make it out of committee. Texas is obviously an oil state and is really missing out on wind, solar and other green efforts from what I've gathered in the last year living here.

Dave

Actually, Texas produces more electricity from wind power than any other state in the USA.

Texas, with 9,410 MW of capacity, has the most installed wind power capacity of any U.S. state, followed by Iowa with 3,053 MW.[2] The Roscoe Wind Farm (780 MW) in Texas is the world's largest wind farm.[8]

Source: Wikipedia

This was my biggest reservation before finally leasing one (I'm in Houston). They send someone to your home for service, but charge $1 per round trip mile. The status last I checked is that they have someone in Oklahoma just over the border. So the round trip fee will be just around $1000 per service until they put a store in Houston. Even if they do Dallas first, it'll still be around $500 per service for me.

So do I understand it correctly that in Texas you pay the 6.25% sales tax on the entire purchase price even if you only have the lease 2 years (of the 3 year lease)? That seems odd. Congrats on getting the Roadster.

good question. not sure. I'll review my paperwork and get back to you.

UPDATE: When I reviewed my paperwork, I noticed that I was being charged "sales tax" and the paperwork was on "California Pre-lease" form. So I got concerned that I was paying California taxes, and that I'd have to pay Texas taxes when I attempt to register. I asked my salesman (Ross) about it, and he knew of this thread and had all my answers ready...
1) I'm not paying taxes in California, only Texas.
2) I am paying taxes on the whole vehicle price. Apparently Texas is one of 2 states that does this, even though the lease is for 3 years and the vehicle is not completely depreciated. I was advised to ask an accountant about it. My accountants are very busy with other issues with me, so I will ask them this low priority question later.

Last edited: