Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Energies Jacks up Wisconsin Rates 51% for EV Owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting January 1st, the time of use rates, have gone up. Our night time cost has just increased 51% to just over 8 cents/kWh from our previous 5.1c/kWh. I am in the extremely Pissed off, Reason 1, As I pay online, and don't get paper bill in the mail, I never got the notification. #2, When We Energies petitioned the state to allow a rate increase, they stated it would be a 5% increase.... Maybe on the Flat Rate Customers, but on TOU! This is Insane! Next, instead of $3 for a complete "Fill Up", now it's going to be $4.50. Not "That" big of a difference, but when you suck down a few megawatts/month and then some, it adds up! This is the highest electric bill I've had in 12 years!

WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP! ARGGGGG!!!! (VENTING!)

Solar panels

Time to put some Solar Panels on the roof!

Nope. That won,t work here either. WE energies has just gotten an onerous charge on solar power generation approved by the PSC effectively ruining the advantage of solar over their mostly (62%) coal produced electricity.
the Koch brothers have spent big money here convincing the consumer that solar panel and EV owners are free riders on the average hard working Joe. Most of our own employees believe it too.
They have asked me questions like: "Shouldn't Tesla owners have to pay a tax for not using gas?" " And won't the electric company have to charge me more because your business isn't. paying its fair share for electricity?"
Its lost on them that they make part of their living working on Teslas.

Last edited:
Nope. That won,t work here either. WE energies has just gotten an onerous charge on solar power generation approved by the PSC effectively ruining the advantage of solar over their mostly (62%) coal produced electricity.
the Koch brothers have spent big money here convincing the consumer that solar panel and EV owners are free riders on the average hard working Joe. Most of our own employees believe it too.
They have asked me questions like: "Shouldn't Tesla owners have to pay a tax for not using gas?" " And won't the electric company have to charge me more because your business isn't. paying its fair share for electricity?"
Its lost on them that they make part of their living working on Teslas.

You can still bring your cost to charge down to zero with solar/small scale wind, and even zero your electric bill. It's the right way to go!

You can still bring your cost to charge down to zero with solar/small scale wind, and even zero your electric bill. It's the right way to go!

I have a 72.4kW solar array and two Teslas. That's what my post was about. Sorry, forgot to mention.
MAB-roof.jpg

Starting January 1st, the time of use rates, have gone up. Our night time cost has just increased 51% to just over 8 cents/kWh from our previous 5.1c/kWh. I am in the extremely Pissed off, Reason 1, As I pay online, and don't get paper bill in the mail, I never got the notification. #2, When We Energies petitioned the state to allow a rate increase, they stated it would be a 5% increase.... Maybe on the Flat Rate Customers, but on TOU! This is Insane! Next, instead of $3 for a complete "Fill Up", now it's going to be $4.50. Not "That" big of a difference, but when you suck down a few megawatts/month and then some, it adds up! This is the highest electric bill I've had in 12 years!

WHAT A CROCK OF CRAP! ARGGGGG!!!! (VENTING!)
Wow! that blows. Another reason I'm glad I moved across the border to IL a couple years back. Fully variable TOU rates with Comed, some times (not very often) they pay me to take the excess electrons off their hands for them.

So, how do you think we should call to raise a stink? Called the Urinal Sentinel, not interested, called Channel 4, No response back. Fox6 took my info and listed to what I had to say, and told me they would call back if they would run the story.

Careful, I wouldn't mention that you own a Tesla. They'll run your story, but the story will be how the power company is finally putting the screws to the rich Tesla owner who was stealing from the average utility customer.

I truly do sympathize with my Wisconsin EV comrades.

But here in Northern California we pay $0.11/kWh off peak on a TOU rate schedule.

But you went into getting a EV knowing that was the rate. Our rate was 5cents, and WeEnergies requested a 5% rate increase, not, $.08964/kWh. which is a 51.3212% difference. They DID lower our day time rate from $0.27/kWh to ~19cents/kWh, however, I use maybe 20kWh during daytime usage/month. Thats for the fridge, tv, furnace fan etc... and about 2 Megawatt Hours/month at night, Thats car, cloths dryer, AC in summer, my deep freezer that is on a timer etc....

This is freakin bull crap!

But you went into getting a EV knowing that was the rate. Our rate was 5cents, and WeEnergies requested a 5% rate increase, not, $.08964/kWh. which is a 51.3212% difference. They DID lower our day time rate from $0.27/kWh to ~19cents/kWh, however, I use maybe 20kWh during daytime usage/month. Thats for the fridge, tv, furnace fan etc... and about 2 Megawatt Hours/month at night, Thats car, cloths dryer, AC in summer, my deep freezer that is on a timer etc....

This is freakin bull crap!

Yep, raising the night time rates, dropping the daytime rates, and increasing flat rate connection fees.... purely to try to punish solar and make it as un-competitive as possible. Approved by the public service commission who's members are appointed by the governor. Thanks governor. (Who by the way is paid for by the Koch bros.)

Edit: So I took a look at my power bill. I am not on TOU. My "facilities" rate went from $.30per day to $.52602 per day. However, my energy rate went from $.13945/kWh to $.13111/kWh. Went down!? Perhaps it's best just to ditch TOU.

Islandbayy... So now you have a new use for your 60 pack when you upgrade... energy storage for your solar panels...

Last edited:
I have been in China most of 2015 and haven't driven much so I looked at my December bill, which is about 80% off peak and 20% peak. $108 on 2014 TOU rates. Would have been $144 on new $0.131 rate and $123 on new TOU rate.

The TOU still saves but not like in 2014. And for someone like Islandbayy who probably pushes 90% off peak it's a big increase.

Sure don't like the way they snuck this increase through and didn't bother notifying customers. It's not the right way to do business.

Islandbayy, build some off-grid solar and connect it to a battery array. I have a friend in rural Minnesota who wants to go off-grid for electricity. The grid isn't giving us the love it once did. Any power company who is trying to stick it to EV owners is writing their own epitaph.