Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see a mid-compact fastback with mild Model S resemblance. 200 mile EPA range for the base battery and 300+ mile optional battery.

Standard:
  • LED headlights (high and low beam)
  • Power Locks
  • Power Windows
  • Power Mirrors
  • 17" touch screen
  • Instrument cluster straight out of the Model S
  • Manual Driver Seat
  • Cloth Interior
  • Heated front seats
  • Frunk
  • Rear Wheel Drive - 221 HP
  • Manual Key Fob (to lock/unlock doors)
  • Non-motorized door handles (still flush and aerodynamic chrome though)
  • Keyless start (like Model S)
  • Non-tinted windows
  • 5 seats
  • Supercharging (pay per charge)
  • Side mirrors

Options:
  • LED DRL
  • Power front seats (with memory)
  • Keyless entry (like Model S)
  • Auto presenting door handles
  • Leather Interior
  • Heated Rear Seats/cold weather package
  • Pano Roof
  • All Wheel Drive
  • Power rear hatch
  • Auto dimming Mirrors
  • Tinted Windows
  • Navigation
  • Interior material choices
  • Free Supercharging for life
  • Sideview Cameras
  • Autopilot with "onramp to offramp" driving

Like ratsbew's list.

I would be happy with 4 seats, don't even need 5. But the back 2 seats should work for full size adults.

I like Nissan's "around view" system with cameras on all 4 sides so you can see the front/back/sides when parking.

f50cebed15de98.jpg

Last edited:
Besides assumed basic standard things, here's what I want as options (all of which I would order):

-autopilot
-panoramic roof (unless it has two large falcon-wing doors -- which I'd actually prefer -- in lieu of four standard doors)
-AWD + performance option right out of the gate
-air suspension
-the Model S's retractable door handles
-some kind of performance/awesome front seats
-300-mile real-world-range pack (the 3 is supposed to get 200 "real-world range" standard, and I figure the S will have a 400-mile pack by the time the 3 hits)
-19" sport/performance wheels (I'm guessing 17" standard wheels)

- While a pano roof would be a great option a sun roof would be popular and less expensive.
- I would think heated front seats would be optional. Why include that cost in the base cost for people in warm weather climates?

It's looking like heated front seats are going to be standard on most EV's in the future, for range reasons. Heating the seats takes less energy than heating the air, for a given level of passenger comfort. I believe the BMW i3 now has standard heated front seats as of 2015.

I expect the Model 3 to have a smaller central touch screen because the car has to be 4-6 inches narrower than the S. 15" with the same number of pixels should be doable and allow the same basic software interface.

I'm actually hoping that the Model 3 has conventional mechanical door handles and latches for cost and reliability reasons. The fancy door handles on the S are a great conversation piece but seem expensive and a bit trouble prone. Tesla may want to keep those as a distinguishing feature of the higher-end S and X product lines.

I also expect the battery options to follow the same basic pattern as the S. Small battery with Supercharging as added cost option, large battery with better performance and standard Supercharging.

Other than those, I'm pretty satisfied with ratsbew's list.

all i ask

- bigger, better batt (over 250mi EPA, which to me means 200mi real world)
- 12v batt or its contactors that doesnt crap out
- compact hatch (think Golf dimensions)
- rearview cam
- rear wipers
- defrost
- frunk!
- SpC access

oh and awd. my dream car, right there.

edit: and things i'd opt out of, if possible

- touchscreen
- side cams in place of mirrors
- nav
- tech pkg
- autopilot
- auto door handles

The most important thing is that it hits the $35k starting price with minimum 200 mile EPA range. Starting with ratsbew's list with a few mods.

Standard:
  • LED headlights (high and low beam)
  • Power Locks
  • Power Windows
  • Power Mirrors
  • 17" touch screen
  • Instrument cluster straight out of the Model S
  • Manual Driver Seat
  • Cloth Interior
  • No heated seats
  • Frunk
  • Rear Wheel Drive - 221 HP
  • Smartkey access with pushbuttons or sensors on door handles
  • Non-motorized door handles (still flush and aerodynamic though) (easy on the chrome:biggrin:)
  • Keyless start (like Model S)
  • Non-tinted windows
  • 5 seats
  • No supercharging (but still available as an upgrade after purchase)
  • Side mirrors

I like the liftback style like the Model S - practical and stylish. It's okay if it looks like other cars.

Bottom line: Hit the price target, meet the schedule, and don't get distracted with flights of fancy.

It's looking like heated front seats are going to be standard on most EV's in the future, for range reasons. Heating the seats takes less energy than heating the air, for a given level of passenger comfort. I believe the BMW i3 now has standard heated front seats as of 2015.

You could be right but the I3 also lists at $42k not Tesla's goal of $35k. I want heated front seats but it certainly is one way to keep the cost down.

The only thing they've ever been consistent on talking about the Model 3 is that it's going to be a BMW 3 series sized car. Therefore the Model 3 is not the car you want.

I think it'll probably be in-between the size of a Golf and 3 Series. The "20 percent smaller" than a Model S figure has been quoted repeatedly by Musk. To do the literal math on that compared to a Model S would yield:

Length: 157.7
Width: 61.8

Mk7 VW Golf
Length: 167.5
Width: 70.8

F30 BMW 3 Series
Length: 182.5
Width: 71.3

I don't believe the 20 percent figure is literal, but just a general conceptualization of dimensions and footprint. I think overall length will probably be around 180 inches, give or take, and width of between 70-72 inches. Will probably be slightly taller than the Model S for packaging reasons.

I think it'll probably be in-between the size of a Golf and 3 Series. The "20 percent smaller" than a Model S figure has been quoted repeatedly by Musk. To do the literal math on that compared to a Model S would yield:

Length: 157.7
Width: 61.8

Mk7 VW Golf
Length: 167.5
Width: 70.8

F30 BMW 3 Series
Length: 182.5
Width: 71.3

I don't believe the 20 percent figure is literal, but just a general conceptualization of dimensions and footprint. I think overall length will probably be around 180 inches, give or take, and width of between 70-72 inches. Will probably be slightly taller than the Model S for packaging reasons.

20% smaller can be interpreted in a number of ways. Length, skateboard area, internal volume? Given the repeated references to the 3 series, I highly doubt it will be anything like 158 inches. I agree around 180 inches is likely, perhaps slightly shorter (the new Audi A3 sedan is 175.4 inches, I would expect it to be larger than that).

I think the standard or optional content of the Model 3 will depend largely on how commoditized the specific components are/become. All-LED lighting inside & out is not a stretch. I expect that to be standard. I'm thinking the center touchscreen will be a little smaller, maybe 12 inches diagonally. Motorized door handles will probably only be on the higher-trim cars, if at all. I would expect the "base" model to be reasonably well-equipped, but far from lavish. I'm expecting to fork over about $45k when all is said and done. I'm hoping for that amount, I'll get a decent amount of content, and solid (0-60 in less than 6 seconds) performance.