Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Figuring out PG&E and Rate Schedules

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jsa

Aug 7, 2008
I'm a little at wit's end, so I figure I would reach out to all of you guys for some clarity.

I moved back to California about a year ago, and I've been renting a house where I applied for and received the E9 rate from PG&E.

I really can't gauge with absolute certainty if it was the right thing to do or not...I've been charging only at night, and in general it seems my power bills dropped pretty significantly.

Now I'm moving to a permanent home. The house already has solar PV panels on it with a net-metered system. It *was* on the E7 schedule, but PG&E now tells me that this schedule is no longer available to solar panel owners, and that the only available schedule is E1.

I explained I current have E9. I asked if I could move it to the new house, and that just was way too complicated for them. I've left countless voicemails, no luck, no one knows how to do this.

With solar panels, and a Roadster, what do you all recommend I do for a rate schedule? Should I bother applying for E9 all over again, or should I stick with E1? We'll probably be using power during the day as well as night (although much less), as we have children home during the day. I also noticed within each schedule are "sub rate" options, I'm not sure how to choose these.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Check this thread:
PG&E E-9 vs E-6 vs E-1 tariff

Didn't they offer you E6 as well? I am surprised that they only said E1.
Yes, E7 was one of the best options for solar but it was only available during certain periods of time.

The final answer really depends on how much solar you generate, and your energy usage patterns. (Not just the car charging, but your regular daily usage too.)

By the way it is too bad the Eberhard site is gone as I recall it had spreadsheets and such to calculate the best rate structure.

**AND** I was just able to unearth the SoCalEd version. :smile: (Should this go in a separate thread? I'll leave that to the mods.) Again, no guarantees, but hope it helps someone.

Attachments

• socaledrates1-1.xls
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
Last edited: