Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma: Buy EV now or wait for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging stations are starting to pop up everywhere around me and where I work, reducing my anxiety about being stranded. The only thing that was holding me back at one point was one 100-mile round-trip drive a week to our L.A. office. But they recently installed a couple of fast-charging stations right across the street, and they've had some charging stations at my Orange County office for a while now.

I'm seriously tempted to get a Spark EV, either on a 3-year lease or a purchase, then get a Model 3 later when it comes out. But my current car is paid off, and if I can hold out for a few more years, I can get a Model 3. Anyone else feel conflicted about taking the plunge now or holding out?

If I weren't going to hold out, I'd go for the Leaf over the Spark, because the Leaf is a real car and I'd prefer to buy a real car instead of a compliance car. You might also wait for the Volt 2 and see what highway range really is. Volt 2 is at least a real car.

Charging stations are starting to pop up everywhere around me and where I work, reducing my anxiety about being stranded. The only thing that was holding me back at one point was one 100-mile round-trip drive a week to our L.A. office. But they recently installed a couple of fast-charging stations right across the street, and they've had some charging stations at my Orange County office for a while now.

I'm seriously tempted to get a Spark EV, either on a 3-year lease or a purchase, then get a Model 3 later when it comes out. But my current car is paid off, and if I can hold out for a few more years, I can get a Model 3. Anyone else feel conflicted about taking the plunge now or holding out?
Not that it means to much but Consumer Reports just named the top 5 cars not to buy and the Spark was one of them.

Not that it means to much but Consumer Reports just named the top 5 cars not to buy and the Spark was one of them.

I agree that the ICE Spark is a total POS, but the EV model has gotten rave reviews. Leaf is a little too sedate for me. I almost bought a first-gen Volt before I bought my Sonata. Possibility. I'm thinking by this time next year, we'll probably get a sneak peek at a rendering or a prototype of the Model 3. That might encourage me to hold out. :smile:

I agree that the ICE Spark is a total POS, but the EV model has gotten rave reviews. Leaf is a little too sedate for me. I almost bought a first-gen Volt before I bought my Sonata. Possibility. I'm thinking by this time next year, we'll probably get a sneak peek at a rendering or a prototype of the Model 3. That might encourage me to hold out. :smile:

Do remember that the Spark EV only has 3.3kW charging when you don't have CCS access. (Again that's because it's not real.)

I had that same internal discussion last year and took the plunge and got a Leaf. Now over 10K miles on it and am loving electric driving.
Will never go back to ICE and will soon be an electric only family.
Do yourself a favor and go for it.

I've never heard an owner say they'd wished they waited for a later EV. But I have heard many say they wish they had gotten one sooner.

The only reason I'd possibly hold off is if the short-range BEV you are thinking of buying will be your only car?

The biggest rub is that no one can be sure exactly when or at what price the Model 3 will arrive. You could end up finishing a 3-year lease and find you still have time to cover before it arrives...Of course the same logic applies to keeping your current car. You might end up having to nurse it along longer than you really want to. In your shoes, I'd make the decision without worrying very much about the M3. If you like the Spark, go get it.

I test drove it and really liked it. With that size battery, 3.3kW charging is adequate. That's what I had in the LEAF. Sure I'd rather have had 6kW, but it was OK. I couldn't make such a small car work for me, so passed the Spark up. Ended up with my Tesla Jr. (Rav4EV) and couldn't be happier.

The biggest rub is that no one can be sure exactly when or at what price the Model 3 will arrive. You could end up finishing a 3-year lease and find you still have time to cover before it arrives...Of course the same logic applies to keeping your current car. You might end up having to nurse it along longer than you really want to. In your shoes, I'd make the decision without worrying very much about the M3. If you like the Spark, go get it.

In a similar vein: not only do we not know when the Model 3 will be introduced, it does matter when your car may actually be manufactured and ready for delivery or pickup.
Because the first batches of cars will surely be slow to be delivered.

Just look at the slow deployment of the P85D.
And no one has yet to take delivery of S85D.
Or has any seen a real Model X yet?
The timing on the initial completion Gigafactory and its influence on the price of the Model 3 is another factor to add to the equation.
Designing and building new car Model is a complicated endeavor, and it involves a myriad of factors.

The point being, you might have the 3 year lease for a new EV worked out, and then you might still be renting a car for an extended period of time because of a number of exterior factors.
Buying, leasing and using a new car is expensive, mostly due to depreciation ===>>>
<<<<<<<*********Hold on to your current car AND save your money in a EV car fund for the Model 3.**********>>>>>>>>

IF you are completely overwhelmed by needing to enter the EV experience, the Volt 2 sounds to be very interesting, or VW e-Golf would be my two top picks.
Heck, you might even be able to locate a current model Volt coming off of a Lease and lease or buy that.

I'm under the same dilemma. Unless there is no financial consideration, I would say holding out is best (assuming your current car will last that long). Spend the money you saved on more options on the Model 3 when it comes out.

Will it, based on the latest rumor at the Alameda track the Model 3 test mule may already be running around.

That is the $64,000 question.

Spy shots of a test mule is not the same thing as a production model that is ready for ordering/delivery.
No production units of Model X have yet been introduced to the public.
And Tesla has not yet shown a prototype of the Model 3.

In my heart, I still think Model 3 has a shot at 2017 introduction.
But the Gigafactory needs to have some medium amount of production to make the Model 3 affordable for Tesla to manufacture in quantities.

Tesla most certainly has design and engineering teams hard at work on the Model 3: it just won't be as much of (design and production) leap into the future as the Model X.

The same old question. Should I wait for the new technology that is coming 'soon' or should I buy what is out now. Phones, computers, cars, ...

Stop wasting gas now, lease an EV new and switch to the Model 3 when it comes out. I bet you $1000 it won't be out on time and other car companies will have very good alternatives by then.