Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I took delivery of my model S at the beginning of this year. I plan to use it as an everyday workhorse provided I can get sufficient charge. I live within 15 miles of a supercharger at Reading, Berkshire so my starting point is good but I have been struggling with getting to some places due to lack of charger locations.

I was away in Spain for 1 week so have 3 weeks experience with the car and have done 2,300 miles so far. I go to the Geneva motor show every year and normally fly but last year drove over in my Range Rover. My plan is to take the Tesla this time but have one part of the journey that might be tight between Maidstone and the charger just outside Paris as it looks like a run of about 210 miles and I seem to be getting 220-240 miles maximum with my poor driving style :)

Electric is unusual for me at the moment as am a bit of a petrol head with 5 cars and 5 motorbikes but given that in any of my other cars I would have used 100 gallons of petrol to do the miles I've done so far the savings are looking quite impressive at around £600/$1,000

Ian

Hi, have you used the Reading SC much? I get my 85D in late summer - long wait. My work commute 2-3 days per week is about 210 miles along the M4 from Bristol going past Reading. Hopefully even with 90% charges I will be able to do the return trip without charging (there is destination charging, but very slow and often ICE'd). However, I cannot see myself doing 65mph the whole way, except the usual traffic problems from Reading onwards enforcing slow motorway speeds, so a quick stop off at Reading SC will be needed sometimes. Even if the SC is not busy I would hate to get stuck in rush hour traffic around the Green Park business park.

At home I will have the Cribbs SC just 4 miles away and the Filton East one 8 miles away if I ever need emergency charges, but it would be great if Tesla and Ecotricity sort out their differences and even just one of the Motorway services along the M4 gets a SC. Perhaps with the Sainsbury's roll-out the Theale junction supermarket will get one at some point.

With your miles it looks like you will not be getting the full 4 year warranty :smile:.

Hi, I took delivery of my model S at the beginning of this year. I plan to use it as an everyday workhorse provided I can get sufficient charge. I live within 15 miles of a supercharger at Reading, Berkshire so my starting point is good but I have been struggling with getting to some places due to lack of charger locations.

I was away in Spain for 1 week so have 3 weeks experience with the car and have done 2,300 miles so far. I go to the Geneva motor show every year and normally fly but last year drove over in my Range Rover. My plan is to take the Tesla this time but have one part of the journey that might be tight between Maidstone and the charger just outside Paris as it looks like a run of about 210 miles and I seem to be getting 220-240 miles maximum with my poor driving style :)

Electric is unusual for me at the moment as am a bit of a petrol head with 5 cars and 5 motorbikes but given that in any of my other cars I would have used 100 gallons of petrol to do the miles I've done so far the savings are looking quite impressive at around £600/$1,000

Ian
Welcome Shooter. How are you liking the EV experience so far?

I use the Reading supercharger almost every day, there are 4 points and only one other has ever been in use while I'm there.

I think a real world range of 180-220 is realistic based on my driving. I'm up to 3,300 miles now. The roll out of supercharged and Chademo adapters is very slow for anyone wanting to use the car like a petrol car. The EV network of chargers in the while is rubbish, when you find them working they only charge at between 10 and 30 miles per hour. Today at East Grinstead all 8EV bays in the station car park were in use by petrol/diesel cars, having said that, all but 2 points were out of order.

I still can't visit family on the west coast at the moment and the East Coast is pretty bleak too.

Plus the idiotic parking company at the Heathrow site doling out parking tickets via APRN even when their registration system in the hotel fails and on the whole a pretty frustrating experience. I await my day in court on that one as they failed to even read my appeal when I explained their system wasn't working. They just came out with a rather lame."no record of my car in the system". Bozo's, my appea told them that their system had failed on the day in question.

However, would I change? NO. But I would train the Tesla sales people on what items a person should but based on their likely driving to ensure they have the best options for them
and to have the Chademo adapters available as a stock item rather than a 2-3 month wait.