Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential NW Model 3 Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wilhelmspencer

Model 3 Reserved 3/31/16 In Store 10:20 PST
Jan 30, 2015
Lynnwood, WA
Hi Everyone,

I am in the Greater Seattle area and wanted to start a thread for discussions about the Model 3.

I am an EV enthusiast and have been keeping up with Tesla news since they first built the Roadster. But like many people, I don't have the financial ability to purchase either the Roadster, S, or X at this point in my life.

With the potential for the Model 3 to be in the sub $30K range after tax incentives, I am very excited to finally be able to purchase one.

Let this be a discussion of anything Model 3 and hopefully it will help network some like minds.

Thanks!

Don't hold your breath waiting. Tesla is notoriously late in getting products to market. Look how long the Model X has been delayed.

I'm sure the Model 3 will be released eventually, but some people may buy and sell another car in the meantime!

I am excited about the Model 3 too (the S is bigger and more expensive than I like; the 3 sounds more my style - not that we really have many details about it), but I try to temper it because

1. It's a long ways away even by Tesla's reckoning, and as gglockner notes it may be farther away than that (Tesla does have more reason to hurry with the M3 than they do with the MX; but it is a harder job)
2. The state sales tax waiver is set to expire this June. Though there are hearings next week about extending it, so we'll see
3. Depending on how many S and X Tesla sells, the Federal tax credit could possibly be gone by the time the 3 is available as well.

There are other Model 3 threads...if this is for PNW-specific stuff, maybe we should try to focus on local-related things like #2 in this thread.

Buy now, Drive now

Hi Everyone,

I am in the Greater Seattle area and wanted to start a thread for discussions about the Model 3.

I am an EV enthusiast and have been keeping up with Tesla news since they first built the Roadster. But like many people, I don't have the financial ability to purchase either the Roadster, S, or X at this point in my life.

With the potential for the Model 3 to be in the sub $30K range after tax incentives, I am very excited to finally be able to purchase one.

Let this be a discussion of anything Model 3 and hopefully it will help network some like minds.

Thanks!

The NW has inexpensive and relatively clean electricity. The western portion of Washington has the density of population to make smaller EVs very practical. My point being; why wait for a Model 3? There are several smaller EVs available now in Washington. Nissan, Ford, BMW, Smart, Chevrolet all have current urban EVs (nominal miles of range ~80) available in Washington. Why not buy one and start the learning process. Fiat is now selling the very cool 500e in Oregon so perhaps a cross boarder purchase would work. It is my opinion that EVs will become more accepted by the general population as enthusiastic drivers are encountered in every day situations; shopping center parking lots, bank drive up windows, school and social events and the like. "Range" for weekend hiking, biking, camping could be overcome by forming relationships among several EV owners to retain one capable ICE that would be shared. However, Duthie Park is only 19 miles from downtown Seattle!

I can understand why someone would decide to wait for the Model 3 instead of buying one of the currently available EVs which are limited range, limited cargo capacity, and visually unappealing in the opinion of many. They are not suitable for use as a primary vehicle for most people. In addition, some people simply prefer to support Tesla and its vision of the future of transportation.

'limited' range is very subjective same as 'most' people comments.

Of course it is but a car with a 60 mile range is limited for 'most' people as a primary family car. Sure, if you live in the city and never leave it you'll be more than fine but if you're in Texas for example, you couldn't even get to the next big city let alone back without charging multiple times.

Of course it is but a car with a 60 mile range is limited for 'most' people as a primary family car. Sure, if you live in the city and never leave it you'll be more than fine but if you're in Texas for example, you couldn't even get to the next big city let alone back without charging multiple times.

I realize this entire line of posting is off topic; but, next time you meet a Volt driver ask what percentage of their total miles driven are all electric. A Chevrolet Volt is rated at about 40 miles electric yet most Volt drivers have managed to make about one half of their trips within this confine. My point being, this statement; "...with a 60 mile range is limited for 'most' people as a primary car." may need more scrutiny.

Surveys show Volt owners average about 66% of miles on electric; often because they take more advantage of public charging than BEV owners do. (Which is great; the Volt is a great solution for single-car families, or people without reliable access to charging. I'm just confused by the Volt owners that do 99% of their miles on electric - why didn't they buy a cheaper BEV that has more range if they never use the engine?).

Bringing it back to WA topics, the Volt has proportionately lower sales here than BEVs do because the sales tax waiver only applies to BEVs. (This is complicated by the fact that the i3 REX counts as a BEV). Although this may be moot come July 1 when the sales tax waiver expires (see post 5 above). It will be interesting to see how sales rates change if that happens.

By the time the Model III is available, we might not only be missing the state sales tax waiver, but Tesla may no longer be eligible for the federal tax credit either. But if Tesla really hits their targets with the Model III, I don't think it's an issue - by then people will be so familiar with Tesla, and the Supercharger network should be nicely built out, that I think they will be able to sell all they can build regardless of credits. (Though they may sell more of them in states that still offer credits, improving that state's economy and environment rather than ours).

There are enough Tesla in WA already that I think the market will be pretty well seeded for Model III sales. We've got lots of engineers, pilots and doctors here (who seem to be early adopters for this type of technology). We've got good salaries so people can afford new cars. And we've got little polluting industry so most air and carbon pollution comes from gas vehicles; at the same time we've got one of the cleanest grids so EVs can do more to reduce pollution here than in most other states. Our higher-than-average gas prices and lower-than-average electricity prices help too. Due to its unique geography, the biggest issue for Puget Sound water quality is oil and gas runoff, so switching to EVs is important for that too.

Another geographical advantage is that the main traffic corridor is I-5 (sandwiched between water and mountains), with a few smaller ones going East - that makes it relatively easy to cover the main traffic corridors with DC chargers.

I think WA's long-term EV adoption will be good, and the Model III will do very well here. And personally, I'm very eager to see an EV that is smaller than the Model S, more practical than the Roadster, and cheaper than both. Too bad we have to wait until next year to get any details on the Model III.

Before I bought my roadster, I considered getting one of the other BEV's. (Not hybrid because I don't like ICE engines and exhaust fumes). The problem was, they were all ugly. I had a cheap ICE car that was reliable and sufficient for my everyday needs.

So why would I buy a more expensive car that has less range and takes longer to "fill up"? Because it's awesome. And none of the non-Tesla BEVs are even remotely close to awesome. They are hideous and I'd be embarrassed to drive one.

The Roadster and MS, on the other hand, are clearly awesome! They're fast and look better than most other cars. This outweighs some of the impracticalities.

Hopefully the M3 will be awesome too, otherwise I predict people won't buy it.