Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery failure due to Main battery failure.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wednesday my wife drove to work and everything was normal with our model S. After work she was greated with 3 different error messages to do with the 12v battery. The car would not "start" and allow her to drive. We live in the Omaha, NE metro and the closest service center is in Kansas City. They towed our car up to Minnesota because the Kansas City service center is not finished. We we told that it was actually not the 12v battery based on what yhe saw on their end but actually the main battery pack. They just towed our car today and based on the app it just made it to the service center. Will update when we know more. Bummed out though because we were going to take a trip to California and up to Seattle starting tonight.

Latest update

Minnesota Service Center is running tests and is rather stumped. They have gotten a hold of engineers in California as the car is having no issues now. The guy jokingly said it was like the car got happy on the tow ride to Minnesota. He said they are trying to recreate the problem to find the exact cause. He said the 12v was fine but it gave the errors because the 12v was not being supported by the Main Battery.
These are the error messages it gave my wife:
10931670_10206124940106725_5464308535624221872_o.jpg

Technician will call at 2000 local time. Depending on what he says will determine if we go or not.

This happened to me when my contactors failed in my original battery. After a few minutes, the contactors must've come loose again or the car forgot about the error and it powered up again. A few blocks down the road it failed once again.

This happened to me when my contactors failed in my original battery. After a few minutes, the contactors must've come loose again or the car forgot about the error and it powered up again. A few blocks down the road it failed once again.

Had the exact same warnings and symptoms last week with our S85. After a flatbed came out and took her to the service center, we were told that the contactors were stuck open and needed to be replaced. There is a whole thread on people who are being contacted by Tesla proactively to replace and update the contactors. We now have a loaner battery back while our original battery pack is in Fremont being repaired. We were told it would be a few weeks before we received our main pack back from Fremont.

I talked to the technician last night and they were able to recreate the problem. He called me at 2000 last night and they had just got the problem to resurface about that time. Since they just got the problem to resurface they were not exactly sure of the cause yet. Will update when I know more. Aunt died so our California trip would have been cancelled anyhow. They told me that I may have a loaner pack for a while until they could get mine fixed but not sure how promising that is. I'm not going to drive the 6 or so hour drive to Minnesota to swap it out. If the service center in Kansas City was opened up I would go there as we already go by there at least 1 every other month. Just looking forward to getting our car back. On a side note we were hoping to be able to have a backup charger installed but they would not discount it because they said they wouldn't be working in that area. I thought the charger was near the battery.

Just got our car back just a hour ago. They spent day investigating the problem and thought they found the solution in a High Voltage switch not working fast enough but that was not the case. They narrowed it down to the main battery pack. They could not find the issue in the battery which is the first time they have had that case (Minnesota Location). They sent my battery pack to California for testing and repair by engineers. Through this whole process they were very much helpful any way they could. I never felt like I was bothering them even though I did call them about every day. They offfered to pay for a rental car for us or to even bring a loaner to us. Mind you we live 6 hours away from them. The only thing that left a small sour taste in my mouth is the fact that when they get our battery back they will have to tow it back up to Minnesota (they can leave a loaner here for us they said). The only reason that's not too appealing to us is because we go to Missouri so often it would be no problem for us to drive there and have them switch out the battery and then have us on our way. We would rather do that but this is a small gripe I suppose. I've never had this service with any other company. Tesla goes so far out of their way to make sure we are happy it is incredible. It's nice having our car back. Hopefully this past week is the last time we have to pay for gas....at least for our cars (Too bad there aren't any electric mowers lol)