Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

June 2010: Musk shows future models at Wall Street "Road Show"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked around and didn't see this yet so excuse me if this is a repost.

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/tesla-shows-future-models/

tesla_future_models_5.jpg

Tesla Motors’ initial public offering could occur as early as next week. But before the stock goes on sale, the Road Show will have to take place.

This event, which is one of the last steps, is marked by Tesla’s executives going before the Wall Street mavens to talk to them about the value of the company. CEO Elon Musk made a presentation, giving a peek of what could come after the Model S, which includes a cabriolet, van and crossover. These versions will be built on a common platform with the Model S. The battery pack will be mounted under the floor in a manner similar to the Nissan Leaf. In particular, the cabriolet is stunning and should prove to be a real competitor to the Fisker Karma Sunset. Musk also disclosed that there will be liquid-cooled power electronics and motor starting with the Model S. While this adds to the cost and complexity of the powertrain, the overall efficiency is improved. In addition, some of the limiting factors that were discovered late in the development of the Roadster will also be resolved.

I'm really liking the looks of the cabriolet

I figure no one has said much about it here since Tesla has been talking about this skateboard design with "many hats" for a while now. But ABG picked it up and I even heard it mentioned on NPR yesterday, so I guess it is news.

We had this slide from that Adobe design presentation:

attachment.php?attachmentid=441&stc=1&d=1256195799.jpg

I think this IPO presentation is the first time we've seen any renderings that are semi photo-realistic from Tesla, but I'm not sure how representative we should take them. The cabriolet looks like a photoshopped Evora. The Crossover/SUV looks like the Lotus APX and the van just a photoshop of that.

tesla-future-products-1277147719.jpg

That they are planning a van and a convertible is interesting, though. There is a market for light duty vans, particularly for fleets. The cabriolet may be a Roadster replacement.

Last edited:
The only one that comes to mind is the air cooled motor and pem.

Confirmed. In recent test of german car mags, they always complain power reduction due to motor or PEM overheating. Watercooling those components will not only help to increase efficency but also make it able to deplete my battery going full throttle all day long, if I wish.

Confirmed. In recent test of german car mags, they always complain power reduction due to motor or PEM overheating. Watercooling those components will not only help to increase efficency but also make it able to deplete my battery going full throttle all day long, if I wish.

If you go full throttle, you won't be driving all day long. Cooling the PEM and motor may yield an incremental improvement in efficiency, but it isn't going to increase the capacity of the battery pack or get rid of air friction.

Yes, Zap-X was intended to be based on APX

Thanks TEG.

How likely is it that we could change a chassis in the same manner as battery packs? I could see switching from a Cabriolet one day to a Van or Crossover another day. A user-enabled operation would be nice. Having multiple chassis's hanging in a garage and the ability to remove the skateboard and moved to another chassis would be monumental.

If you go full throttle, you won't be driving all day long. Cooling the PEM and motor may yield an incremental improvement in efficiency, but it isn't going to increase the capacity of the battery pack or get rid of air friction.

You can't go full throttle until your battery is empty with the roadster. Because the PEM and Motor will overheat. With the Model S this will change I suspect, because both components will be watercooled. Not sure why you take "all day long" out of context and try to take it literally. And I haven't said anything about increasing battery pack capacity.

And I'm also not sure what air friction has to do with it. High speed isn't the only way to max. out power. Going up a long steep hill will do it too. Especially with the S since it will be much heavier and carry more passengers and package.

You can't go full throttle until your battery is empty with the roadster. Because the PEM and Motor will overheat. With the Model S this will change I suspect, because both components will be watercooled. Not sure why you take "all day long" out of context and try to take it literally. And I haven't said anything about increasing battery pack capacity.

And I'm also not sure what air friction has to do with it. High speed isn't the only way to max. out power. Going up a long steep hill will do it too. Especially with the S since it will be much heavier and carry more passengers and package.

Because the way you wrote it you can infer driving at full throttle all day, so the way tomsax replied can make sense.

-Shark2k

This is a great example of why threads without a post for 6 months ( can argue the time) should be closed. No further posts allowed. It doesn't limit ability to post, would just have to start a new one. Could even reference old thread but it would make it clear what is old or not
totally agree. I didn't look at the date when this thread came up with new posts. Reading the article I got excited about seeing plans for new models but the part about about IPO roadshow dashed my hopes. Close old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.