Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing 2012 Signature S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're thinking of selling our Signature Series model S.

We chose the sunroof and paint protection as the only extra options. All Signature cars came with the tech package, air suspension, high end audio.

The original list price was $98,000. With about 38,000 miles it seems a fair price would be around $70k. We're hoping to sell it to a friend and are just trying to figure out what a reasonable price should be.

Cheers,
Adam

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-01-29 13.36.41.png
    Screenshot 2015-01-29 13.36.41.png
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,049
We're thinking of selling our Signature Series model S.

We chose the sunroof and paint protection as the only extra options. All Signature cars came with the tech package, air suspension, high end audio.

The original list price was $98,000. With about 38,000 miles it seems a fair price would be around $70k. We're hoping to sell it to a friend and are just trying to figure out what a reasonable price should be.

Cheers,
Adam

I would talk with Tesla see what they would give you and work from there. Normally they shoot a bit low on there pricing so maybe add 5k to there number.

Tesla's estimate is not a private party sale estimate. It is a dealer trade-in estimate which will be significantly lower. Tesla has to make a profit on resale and whoever trades their car in is paying for this profit. Taking Tesla's estimate and adding $5k is probably leaving money on the table, in my opinion, because you are starting at a much lower "dealer trade-in value".

KBB private party value for your car is $85,193.

That seems hopelessly optimistic. We see P85s with MSRPs of $10k more, a year newer, and with fewer than half the miles going for more than $5k less than that. Unfortunately that $70k is far closer to market rate than $85k.
I don't know where KBB is getting their Model S pricing data, but it doesn't seem to be based on any real-world sales.

It's always good to ask around and get opinions but I don't think there's an exact answer. There's just too few of those cars having sold with similar options and mileage to get proper sales data. If you and your friend are both comfortable with $70k that's a nice round number and first estimates are usually pretty correct. In my opinion, that number sounds fair to me, for whatever that's worth. Probably about the same as what you paid me for it.

Price your car out as new with the options that you have on your Sig. If you were to buy that car now with all the options, it would cost a lot more. We had lots of extras included that are now priced out separately. Plus, you have an over-engineered car.

I think that you could get a good price for your car, especially if it is Sig Red with the Sig White interior. Lots of dealers out there are trying to pass off production cars as Signatures. The VIN tells all.

I have done the same analysis and entertained offers. I believe I could get between $70-75k for my Sig P85 (sig red) with 45k miles, Nov 2012 delivery, with everything except factory paint armor. I'd expect $60-65k for the car in question.

Price your car out as new with the options that you have on your Sig. If you were to buy that car now with all the options, it would cost a lot more. We had lots of extras included that are now priced out separately. Plus, you have an over-engineered car.

I think that you could get a good price for your car, especially if it is Sig Red with the Sig White interior. Lots of dealers out there are trying to pass off production cars as Signatures. The VIN tells all.
EXACTLY! I am surprised to see so many adds that say "SIGNATURE" or "PERFORMANCE" model that are not a Sig or a P. lol