Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6.1 better energy efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Papafox

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Hawaii
Referral Code
I have experienced about an 8% improvement lately on my energy efficiency with my Model S. I drive the same route to work and back, traffic hasn't changed, weather, tire inflation and other obvious influences haven't changed either, but instead of using my very predictable 279-280 wh/mi. of energy, for the past week or so, I've been using more like 257 wh/mi. on the same routing.

The only change I can think of is that I upgraded to software version 6.1 (2.2.92) about that time. I'm going to keep recording my energy efficiency for another week or so before installing version 6.1 115 because I want to collect more data points before possibly changing the equation. I also notice more miles remaining when I reach work each day (a 40 mile commute), but I start the trip with a fresh charge and with the usual number of miles.

The only other variable I can think of is perhaps I am using less air-conditioning, but the weather hasn't been especially cool this past week.

Has anyone else recently experienced an unexplained efficiency improvement?

Last edited:
I have experienced about an 8% improvement lately on my energy efficiency with my Model S. I drive the same route to work and back, traffic hasn't changed, weather, tire inflation and other obvious influences haven't changed either, but instead of using my very predictable 279-280 wh/mi. of energy, for the past week or so, I've been using more like 257 wh/mi. on the same routing.

The only change I can think of is that I upgraded to software version 6.1 (2.2.92) about that time. I'm going to keep recording my energy efficiency for another week or so before installing version 6.1 115 because I want to collect more data points before possibly changing the equation. I also notice more miles remaining when I reach work each day (a 40 mile commute).

Has anyone else recently experienced an unexplained efficiency improvement?

I have been seeing a similar drop in energy consumption, but still not sure if it is real. I am still try to gauge if it is just weather related or some other factors. It does seem like the heat has got slightly colder. I had to turn my heat setting up to 70 instead of 69 and it still seems colder than before.

It hasn't changed on mine. Is it getting warmer where you live?

Temperatures are pretty moderate right now. Difference between winter and summer is no more than 15 degrees F, so the temperature shifts aren't extreme. The funny thing is that I have owned this car for over a year and really haven't seen much variation between summer and winter driving. I averaged 280wh/mile since I bought the car 30,000 miles ago and my most recent 20,000 miles has averaged 279wh/mile. You can understand with such predictable patterns why the 257wh/mile averages of the past few days have been catching my attention.

It hasn't changed on mine. Is it getting warmer where you live?

Same here. What I can say is that temperature makes a HUGE difference. I have a very predictable 90 mile round trip commute. In the summer I average just a bit over 300 Wh/mi and can even bring it under 300 if I try. In the winter, even with best efforts, I'm luck to break 400 and usually see around 450 Wh/mi for the round trip. If there's a snowfall, it's even worse.

The other day, temps got to about 30 F and I was at 340 Wh/mi when I arrived home.

I too have seen this drop. I drive the same route and temperatures are the same. I was in between 300-310 Wh/mi and now I'm 270-280 Wh/mi. My first thought was something was different that day....like I had driven slower, etc. A few days in now and I'm still getting lower numbers though. Works for me.

I too have seen this drop. I drive the same route and temperatures are the same. I was in between 300-310 Wh/mi and now I'm 270-280 Wh/mi. My first thought was something was different that day....like I had driven slower, etc. A few days in now and I'm still getting lower numbers though. Works for me.

phat78boy, what version of 6.1 software are you experiencing these improvements with? Mine are with 2.2.92. I will keep taking readings for another week or so before I upgrade to the latest version of 6.1. I want a solid history of 20wh/mile reduction before I change the software, so that I can see if I lose the advantage when I install 2.2.115.

I have noticed this. Just a theory, but I think it is related to a bug with the Range Mode setting.

When NOT in Range Mode, I noticed that the car just wouldn't heat up enough, and energy for my commute had dropped from around 410 to around 370. Seems to take forever for the regen limit to disappear. I used to drive around in Range Mode all the time but switched it OFF for the winter, so recognise the symptoms.

Today, I switched Range Mode back ON during my commute, and within a few minutes the heating had kicked in nicely, with a corresponding increase in energy consumption.

phat78boy, what version of 6.1 software are you experiencing these improvements with? Mine are with 2.2.92. I will keep taking readings for another week or so before I upgrade to the latest version of 6.1. I want a solid history of 20wh/mile reduction before I change the software, so that I can see if I lose the advantage when I install 2.2.115.

I was 2.2.92 for about 2 weeks. I just got 2.2.115 last night, so I'll see if there is any difference.

I have noticed this. Just a theory, but I think it is related to a bug with the Range Mode setting.

When NOT in Range Mode, I noticed that the car just wouldn't heat up enough, and energy for my commute had dropped from around 410 to around 370. Seems to take forever for the regen limit to disappear. I used to drive around in Range Mode all the time but switched it OFF for the winter, so recognise the symptoms.

Today, I switched Range Mode back ON during my commute, and within a few minutes the heating had kicked in nicely, with a corresponding increase in energy consumption.

That sounds as if it's working backwards. First try a reboot, then report a bug if the reboot doesn't change the behaviour back to normal.

After driving more than 400 miles and still averaging about 20wh/mile better efficiency than normal, I went ahead and upgraded from 2.2.92 to 2.2.115. Did the efficiency gain go away, No, in fact it got bigger! Now I'm really scratching my head because on the exact same route with very little weather change (5 degree temp change) and no perceivable change in traffic I am now doing better than ever.

mileage.JPG

Again, any suggestions appreciated to shed light on such a noticeable improvement in efficiency. I have driven 30,000 miles with very consistent mileage of about 280wh/mi. and these 260wh/mi. drives are tweaking my curiosity.