Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Streetcar tracks cause false lane departure warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
This morning I was driving on the portion of Kingston Rd that has streetcar tracks. At least twice I got the steering wheel vibration for a lane departure warning. I am 99% sure that I was still in the middle of my lane - I think it was incorrectly interpreting the streetcar tracks as lane markings.

Has anyone else seen this?

I guess this would only be an issue in Toronto and SF, as these are the only cities in North America with streetcars.

You're right. I was under the impression that Toronto and San Fran were the only cities in NA with streetcars but Philly and Boston appear to have them as well.

Guys. Really?

I think the following cities in Canada and the U.S. have "heritage streetcars" or light rail running in street:
Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Buffalo, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Memphis, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Portland, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa.
Toronto (I don't think Calgary or Edmonton have street-running sections which are shared with cars)

There may be more, there are certainly more light rail systems, but I'm not sure which have street-running sections.

There are also plenty of places with abandoned rail still in-street, and at least one place with a main-line railway running right down the street: Oakland, CA.

I was driving through a construction zone last summer and thought about autonomous cars. In construction zones, you have to rigorously follow the cones and ignore the multiple lines that have been painted as the lanes change during the construction process. This will be a challenge for self-driving cars, much like the rail lines.

I was driving through a construction zone last summer and thought about autonomous cars. In construction zones, you have to rigorously follow the cones and ignore the multiple lines that have been painted as the lanes change during the construction process. This will be a challenge for self-driving cars, much like the rail lines.

Exactly. I'm doubtful that such things can ever be completely automated safely. Heck, how is a car supposed to keep in a lane when the lanes aren't visible, due to snow or salt? I've seen roads in mid-winter in some places where the road surface is basically white, and it's very, very difficult to see painted white dashed lines. And what about when half the lane is occupied by a snowbank?

Airplanes are capable of auto land when all the required equipment is in place. But it still requires specialized training and the ability of the pilots to take over at any point. And it's rarely used - generally only when a landing would not otherwise be possible (due to low cloud). And that, to me, is a far simpler problem than navigating all possible road conditions everywhere.

I used to work in software. Call me a skeptic. :)

I seriously doubt fully autonomous cars will be able to deal with winter weather any time soon. You often can barely detect lane markings, cameras and radars get gummed up, and dealing with slippery road conditions is a whole different problem. Detecting black ice? Getting the car unstuck? Good luck.

A surprising number of young 'uns have told me, "I don't think I need to get a driver's license... by the time I need one the cars will all be self-driving." I think they're deluded. Maybe for people in California that will be the case, but around here the cars will be useless for a good chunk of the year.