Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owner robbed at gunpoint and Model S stolen while supercharging in Barstow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Police searching for men suspected of robbing man at gunpoint, stealing Tesla - News - DesertDispatch.com - Barstow, CA

BARSTOW — Authorities are searching for an Apple Valley man and a Victorville man in connection to an armed robbery that occurred last week near the Chili's Bar and Grill on Lenwood Road.

Authorities said officers from the Barstow Police Department arrived at the electric vehicle charging station behind the restaurant around 11:54 p.m. Jan. 21 after a 911 call from the victim, who reported that he was robbed at gunpoint by two men at the charging station.

The victim reported that the suspects approached him while he was charging his vehicle and that one of the suspects pointed a handgun at him and forced him out of his car. The victim reported that the suspects robbed him of his personal jewelry, credit cards and other property. The suspects also stole the victim’s 2014 Tesla — a high-end electric car — and drove off in it. The victim ran from the area to a local business and called 911.

The victim positively identified Lott Jr. and Lemus as the two robbery suspects from photographic line-ups. Barstow Police officers and detectives are actively searching for Lott Jr. and Lemus.
Anyone with information regarding the whereabouts of the suspects is urged to call the Barstow Police Department at 760-256-2211.
AR-150129936.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla, hey! Can we please get an anti-carjacking feature?

I leave it up to your creativity as to how it would work.

Let the hoodlums take the car and drive off... but then.. something interesting happens. Car is limited to 60 MPH. Car operates until it is about 2 miles from theft point, then cuts power. Notifies Tesla hot line, who patch in police. ... whatever.

Reactions: OPRCE
Tesla, hey! Can we please get an anti-carjacking feature?

I leave it up to your creativity as to how it would work.

Let the hoodlums take the car and drive off... but then.. something interesting happens. Car is limited to 60 MPH. Car operates until it is about 2 miles from theft point, then cuts power. Notifies Tesla hot line, who patch in police. ... whatever.

This is a fantastic feature! Lock the perps inside the car until the police arrive!

Reactions: X Girl
Jokes aside... very sorry to hear about this and well wishes to the victim, who still had their other stuff stolen, not just the car.

One could argue that Superchargers fit the profile that thieves might look for. I very much hope that Supercharger locations don't become targets for thieves. A lot of them are in remote, hidden locations and can get pretty spooky at 3am. Could really hurt Tesla in the long run if they do.

Most no-collar thieves are pretty dumb quite frankly... police will tell you... we're not talking about people above the median score of practically anything.

Heck Tesla isn't giving us valet mode, and there's no password protection feature on the GPS locator shut-off control....

So I don't expect anti car jacking features soon.

Last edited:
Tesla should add an auto eject charging cable button that can be pressed from the center counsel so you can get the heck out of there when you see some shady characters walking up to the car. Having to get out and unplug the car could become very dangerous in situations like this. You are pretty much a sitting duck. then again Elon's automatic charging cable would also resolve the issue.

I am an anxious MS owner to-be. Long time lurker, this is my first post. I would honestly use the Barstow station a lot...I think bright lights should be installed (since they're relatively out of sight, shouldn't impact general public or residents) and security cameras very obvious installed around the station.