Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference between the 2.0/2.5 and 1.5 transaxle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks:
I've been out of sight in the forum for a few months waiting for a new motor for my 1.5. My motor became extremely noisy - some bearing issue. Tesla finally custom-built a new one and replaced it for me under warranty. The difference in noise is like night and day (is there a better comparison for sound)? :smile:
In the process, they also found noise from the transaxle and retrofitted it with a 2.5 transaxle. Does anyone know the difference between the two?
The car drives pretty much the same - maybe a bit faster off the gates.

I don't see any difference or why there was a need for a different trans-axle. The 1.5 uses the same Borg-Warner direct drive transaxle transmission as the 2.x:

Face-off: 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 Vs 2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder

2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5: The 2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 runs on a clean, green air-cooled 375 volt (215kW/400Nm) AC induction electric motor with variable frequency that comes mated to a fixed-gear, single-speed Borg-Warner direct-drive transaxle transmission.

Many times something else out of balance eats up the bearings in the AC motor, an unbalanced part in the transaxle could do this. Most likely they gave you one they had laying around, in this case which was from a 2.5 Roadster. There should be no retrofitting. I'm sure it was the same Borg Warner internally and externally.

Last edited: