Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving buttons so catastrophe doesn't strike

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I think some button realignment is in order, to avoid having the terrible thing I just did happen to others.

I use the "quick links" button and then then the "subscribed threads" button to quickly check if there are new posts in the threads I'm most interested in. Just now, inadvertently, instead of clicking on "Quick Links" I must have clicked on "What's New" which is just above it. The result of that is that any thread with posts I haven't yet read is shown. That would be useful. The problem is that since I was clicking quickly, I then attempted to click again, without realizing that I had actually clicked above Quick Links." The result is that I wound up clicking on what shows up in the same place as "Quick Links" once you have switched to the "What's New" menu. And that, catastrophically is, "Mark Forums As Read."

So now I have marked every forum and every thread I have not read and possibly wanted to read as read. Something I most definitely did not want to do, and something I consider pretty catastrophic. As an aside, if anyone has any great idea of how I could fix this via cookie management, short of deleting all my TMC cookies, which would have other negative effects I don't want, please feel free to let me know. But to save others from experiencing this, I'd suggest either a different placement of the buttons, or possible an "Are you sure" pop-up before forums are marked as read.

I am very upset right now, and have no idea how I'll figure out what I've read and what I haven't on this site going forward.

I did that this morning without intending to as well; although it was probably more muscle memory to me since I use that button pretty frequently.

After nearly 3,500 posts here, and 3 years of reading here (2 1/2 as a registered user :) ), I suggest not to sweat it. Start reading at a point in time, since everything changes over time, and search when you need a particular piece of information. I think it'll save you a lot of time, myself.

I did that this morning without intending to as well; although it was probably more muscle memory to me since I use that button pretty frequently.

After nearly 3,500 posts here, and 3 years of reading here (2 1/2 as a registered user :) ), I suggest not to sweat it. Start reading at a point in time, since everything changes over time, and search when you need a particular piece of information. I think it'll save you a lot of time, myself.

Thanks.

It may save me time, or it may cost me time as I spend even more time trying to figure out what I've read and what I haven't.

It's not as if I made an effort to read everything here. That would be more insane than the insane mode in my P85D. In the forums that I like to read it was easy for me to distinguish the threads I had no interest in and had never read from the ones I was interested in that had new posts. Now I'm probably going to wind up spending a bunch of time today checking the most recent 25 or 30 threads in several forums trying to figure out what I've read and what I haven't, to make sure I don't miss something important, since I marked everything as read without intending to, and I know there's lots of new stuff there that I don't want to miss. It's quite frustrating the amount of damage one tiny slip of the finger can do.