Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door issues: ajar by itself and then stuck shut w/handle extended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my first issue with the P85D (latest firmware). Last night, before opening the driver door, I noticed I was hearing music playing... I quickly noticed the rear window was down (typical amount when opening door), and that the door was ajar. It was not ajar when I parked. I think it popped ajar as the handles presented, but unsure, perhaps it went ajar while the car was parked.

Strangely (or not, having read about the door mechanism), the door was 'locked' shut, as in I could not open it or push it (with reasonable force) closed. Using the keyfob, I locked the doors, then unlocked them, and finally I could open and fully close the door in question. Having read about odd door issues I was prepared to leave it as an anomaly (thankfully it wasn't raining... having the window down could have been a real issue).

However, this morning, my next time with the car, I noticed a light in my otherwise pitch dark garage. It was that same rear driver door, with its handle extended (no other handles extended). No matter the repetitions of locking/unlocking, that door was stuck, I could not get it to open (from the outside, but it opened without issue from the inside, but the problem would remain once shut). The extended handle was actually extra extended (more so than normal)

Tesla is looking at the logs. Upon their suggestion, I did push (quite hard) on the handle, and given enough force, it did retract, and is currently working normally, but given 2 different issues in 2 days, I'm concerned the issue will come back.

When your door handles are extended, is the rear front surface (not the part you grab, but the part behind it) flush with the body or is it in 2-3 mm? If it's flush you have the old style handle which can do that. If it's not then your handle is defective.

The latch mechanism is tricky. It's not really the door that's at fault, but, the latch itself. On my volt, sometimes when I open the door, I accidentally put my hands in the hole where the latch is and push down on the latch into the closed position. Then, when I close the door, the door seems closed, but, it's not. It won't close as indicated on the dashboard. The only time I could close the door again is to push the latch back up into the open position.

I almost called a tow truck that day since I thought it was defective and have the dealer investigate. I said to myself, why the hell did they design a door like that.

I don't own a MOdel S yet, but, because I have similar problems with the Volt, I'm not so sure it's just a Tesla problem. It's most likely the latch mechanism. However, that's a theory and nothing more.

When your door handles are extended, is the rear front surface (not the part you grab, but the part behind it) flush with the body or is it in 2-3 mm? If it's flush you have the old style handle which can do that. If it's not then your handle is defective.

It is in 2-3 mm. Attached are pictures of the bad handle (sticking out by 2-3 mm) and the good handle (in 2-3 mm).
bad-stuck-handle.jpg
normal-handle.jpg

Have not yet heard back from Tesla.

Just a small update... issue hasn't happened since. Tesla Ranger paid a visit to check on this and some TSB type issues. They didn't find anything wrong, nor did the logs show an issue (the logs did indeed show the one handle presenting/being stuck by itself... it is always interesting how much data Tesla has on the car).

His best guess is that it was a firmware issue... a couple weeks after the occurrence, .139 was installed, and he thinks/is guessing there may have been a fix in that firmware. I'm just happy it has not reoccurred.

I noticed your post about the door handle. I am having the same issue. My rear left door handle will not retract back into the car and stays open with led light lit. I called Tesla and they will have service center call tomorrow when they are open. I tried forcing it back inside and could feel some give but no luck. Any other ideas? P85+ Purchase date: August 2012. The only other issue with our car has been tires!!! These tires are not made for Texas roads!

I noticed your post about the door handle. I am having the same issue. My rear left door handle will not retract back into the car and stays open with led light lit. I called Tesla and they will have service center call tomorrow when they are open. I tried forcing it back inside and could feel some give but no luck. Any other ideas? P85+ Purchase date: August 2012. The only other issue with our car has been tires!!! These tires are not made for Texas roads!

Well, in my case it was a pretty hard push to get it to go in. Then again, some time later it 'broke' the other way (would not extend), which went away on its own. Tesla did change the door handle at that point.

Ok....let me report my door handle saga.
My left rear door handle failed to retract. Opened from inside...closed again, no help. I rebooted everything twice...no help.
I went to the forums and the web...they suggested pulling some fuses and reseating them. I found that my 2015 85D manual has no information on fuses what so ever. No diagram...in the user manual. I called Tesla and was told that I need the service center to change or reset fuses! It was not for customers to do. That is very weird as the earlier cars all had diagrams.
After about 2 hrs of research, I found a good movie showing how to access the fuse boxes and several diagrams of the fuse boxes and charts with the assignments of the fuses. There was no diagram that I could find for 2015 car, but the 2014 diagram looked just like mine so.....I removed fuse 40, waited 5 minutes and reseated it. Hip Hip Hip.....the problem has disappeared. I wonder why Tesla does not want customer to change fuses...I guess that it is like changing tires in the case of a flat. Only the technicians can do that, not customers. There are no spare fuses and not spare tire. Anyhow.....it is not very hard to change Center in Austin, TX. Besides it was a Sunday.
Grant
P.S. I REALLY LOVE MY CAR!!!