Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Sun Mountain Lodge Winthrop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nevek

Overt Member
Apr 30, 2014
Seattle
I thought I'd pass on what was emailed to me by the Sun Mountain Lodge maintenance manager when I asked about EV charging. I imagine it's for guests only but didn't enquire. Highway 20 is such a great summer drive with the lodge at the end of it that I wanted to make sure it would be a practical destination in the future.

"Sun Mountain currently has a 240 outlet available via a spider box with a female 1450 NEMA plug end. This allows a 30 amp. 240 volt charge.
Sun Mountain is looking at options to install a standard charging station and if all goes well possibly this spring-summer one will be installed."

David P. Rudholm
Maintenance Manager
Sun Mountain Lodge, Inc.
PO Box 1000
604 Patterson Lake Road
Winthrop, WA 98862

I have met with David and the management team at Sun Mountain three times over the last year. Plug-In North Central Washington uses an objective criteria for selecting host sites. Sun Mountain does not meet our criteria because it is too far off Highway 20 and does not want to allow public access. That said, we have proposed several EV charging options for them and I do think they are committed to providing their guests charging opportunities in the near future. In the town of Winthrop at the Pine Near RV Park there is a free to use haL2 70A charger. Plug-In NCW has placed these same type units at Mazama, Twisp, Pateros and Omak to encourage EV tourism. The North Cascades Highway is EV territory. Jack

The North Cascades, indeed, are super EV friendly. I've stayed at both Sun Mountain and Mazama Country. They both have their advantages. SM is more of an upscale resort than MC. MC is more rustic and definitely has the advantage with the HAL2 charger (plus 2 additional 14-50s that go to 40A).