Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA - Certified Used Car Sales Program?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think that TESLA should have a Tesla Certified Used Car sales program?
Such a program would bolster the brand name and also open the secondary market to a new strata of potential owners.
Thoughts?

Tesla has already been accumulating inventory for this purpose. Just waiting to see when it will be launched and what will be the flow of the cars around the country. Will they all go home to California first for reconditioning?

The economics of a Tesla CPO program are very interesting IMO. This is a corporate (as opposed to dealer) program. That means that the sales price of the used Tesla goes to the Revenue line and the trade-in price + any repairs/upgrades goes to the Cost of Goods Sold line. Tesla has guided the analysts to 25+% gross margins. Question: How do you make that kind of margin on used cars? Answer: Buy low and sell high. Buy low explains the lowball trade-ins that everyone has seen recently. Sell high means they will need to make the used cars attractive through extended warranty, national inventory database to match the buyers desired configuration, etc.

Tesla bought my car back last October. It was a loaded P85. My guess it will be for sale around $99500.00

It was shipped back to California to be sold once the program starts.

Tesla 001.JPG
Tesla 002.JPG
Tesla 009.JPG

Same Tesla bought my 2 month old S85 with 2635 miles on it in November and shipped it back to Fremont. I'm assuming it's going into the CPO program.

Whoever buys the car is getting a pretty good deal with an extra 2 years of warranty since they're only losing maybe 6 months. The car was tinted, had paint protection film and opticoat on it. So even if they pay close to what a new one costs they're probably still getting a pretty good deal. However, there's no way Tesla is going to clear a 25% margin on my vehicle. They paid way too much for that. But I don't think they paid me a normal value considering what I got out of them.