Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN 76 crushed by a distracted driver this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Curt

Roadster Signature #55
May 13, 2013
Rockville, MD
On I-270 South in Rockville, MD.

A distracted driver in a Ford Expedition plowed into me from behind and pushed me under an Acura (MDX?) SUV. I'm still shaking a bit. Feeling sick about this, and haven't heard from the Insurance Adjuster yet.

IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG

Say its not so. I can't tell you how much I hate SUVs and drivers in SUVs. I try to stay as far away from these people, especially the full size ones. They always seem they have no care in the world from my observations. Looking at the pics it appears the majority of the drivers have their sun-visors down and snow on their cars. I'm sure the bright sun and reflective glare off the snow didn't help with visibility.

Sorry man, very sad. We feel for you and your Roadster.

It looks repairable. But the rear trunk hinge shows signs it over extended, slicing through the rear wing of the body's hull. That's where the largest cost of repair will be. For sure inquire about buying it back after you do a full inspection and analysis.

Last edited:
It looks like the SUV that hit you has some trash piled up on the dashboard in front of the driver.
I wonder if they put that there after the crash, or they had visible distractions piled up that would make it even harder for them to see a small car in front of them...

It is truly time for the world to get serious about distracted driving. I can go out to a nearby road and count drivers on phone while driving: talking is about 40%, texting is about 20%. When I drive on freeway, I'm constantly looking at neighboring cars for texters. When I detect them, I honk like hell to get them to look up, and try to get out of their vicinity. Problem is there are so many it is impossible. I'm surprised there are not thousands more accidents. This horribly dangerous practice is not illegal in most areas... and where it is, the law is completely unenforced. AAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!! Sorry to hear about your roadster.

PS, my prior car (Jag XF) was t-boned at an intersection. I had no stop, the offending driver had a stop. They stopped perfunctorily, and - without looking - proceeded to turn left across traffic. Why? On the phone. My evasion measures were not enough. Sure, their insurance paid... but I had impaired value that was unrecoverable when I went to sell the car. And, someone could have been injured or worse... AARRRGGHHH again!

When I drive on freeway, I'm constantly looking at neighboring cars for texters. When I detect them, I honk like hell to get them to look up, and try to get out of their vicinity!

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the difference between someone looking at their phone and you looking at them while they are looking at their phone. Maybe I should be on the lookout for people that are looking for people who are looking at their phones.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the difference between someone looking at their phone and you looking at them while they are looking at their phone. Maybe I should be on the lookout for people that are looking for people who are looking at their phones.

I see the difference. The person talking on their phone has NO consideration for others, where the person looking at the person talking on their phone does and is looking out for others making the unaware person that (at least where I live) talking or texting is illegal to do for that it causes accidents. Why is it that when I see people swerving, making radical decisions such as a 4 lane merge across traffic at the last minute since they failed to recognize it was their exit in time. I've not seen "people looking at others that are talking on the phones while driving" cause any accidents nor have I seen them swerve or be inconsiderate of others.

I too honk at people who talk on cell phones. At least I make the person who is unaware that I'm aware of them and they are (now) aware of me. Problem is the people on the phone don't give an "F" about others and feel they're doing nothing wrong.

I see the difference. The person talking on their phone has NO consideration for others, where the person looking at the person talking on their phone does and is looking out for others making the unaware person that (at least where I live) talking or texting is illegal to do for that it causes accidents. Why is it that when I see people swerving, making radical decisions such as a 4 lane merge across traffic at the last minute since they failed to recognize it was their exit in time. I've not seen "people looking at others that are talking on the phones while driving" cause any accidents nor have I seen them swerve or be inconsiderate of others.

I too honk at people who talk on cell phones. At least I make the person who is unaware that I'm aware of them and they are (now) aware of me. Problem is the people on the phone don't give an "F" about others and feel they're doing nothing wrong.

Gotta agree- there is a huge difference. I also ride motorcycles, and was to to constantly scan for possible dangers (distracted drivers at the top of the list).

Gotta agree- there is a huge difference. I also ride motorcycles, and was to to constantly scan for possible dangers (distracted drivers at the top of the list).

There's a big difference between noticing a distracted driver and actively seeking out for them. The latter of which takes your wandering eyes off what's important thus making you a part of the distracted driving problem that you hate so much.

There's a big difference between noticing a distracted driver and actively seeking out for them. The latter of which takes your wandering eyes off what's important thus making you a part of the distracted driving problem that you hate so much.

I think you're reading far more into their words than was meant. I didn't get 'actively seeking out to the point of becoming distracted' in anyone's words in this thread.

Peace.