Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to more episodes...he does a great job and we really need more journalists that "get it" when it comes to EVs and hybrids.
In many ways that is the sad part. He is not a journalist per se, he is an actor. AFAIK noone is paying him for doing this and thus being a journalist.

Don't get me wrong he still makes an excellent show...

Cobos

Episode 2 of Robert Llewellyn's Fully Charged.

Now taking a ride in the Honda FCX Clarity: Very informative and very clear on why hydrogen powered cars aren't there yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYYR_wG-x_E
Watched it too, enjoyable episode. My evaluation is that he came to the right conclusion, but for the wrong reasons...or at least for only one of the reasons. He seemed to dismiss the energy cost of FCVs a bit lightly with only a small comment then discussing other sources of hydrogen as by-products. IMO large scale FCVs will be impractical for a very long time b/c of the tremendous amount of energy it takes to produce the hydrogen. And yea, that $2 Million dollar/car thing could be a tiny deterent for working families.

He should have said how long it took to fill up. Also notice that he finishes fill prematurely.

I presume the last part of the tank takes longer and longer to fill (i.e. tails off asymptotically) as the pressure increases?

I thought the same thing! He talked about fill-up time and then never gave it to us.

Robert. If you are reading, I love your stuff. Best out there. Each time you do a project it's better than the last. Partly because you listen to whingers like me and adjust.

This is ancient (well, 18 months old). If you read the comments he's kind of backpedaling.

well, your are right, but the last comments are just a few days old (young)........

TM say the Battery will last 5-7 years or 100.000 miles (or km ...? not sure ), because
of charge-monitoring a.s.o.

But do we have some "real" experiences / datas ?

any roadster close to the 100.000 miles "limit" ?

But do we have some "real" experiences / datas ?

any roadster close to the 100.000 miles "limit" ?
No actual owner (not counting Tesla's internal VPs/EPs) is anywhere near 100k miles. May be 30k by now. Also keep in mind the battery degradation is GRADUAL and not a sudden "limit". At 100k miles you still have a decent battery, just less range. How much range ? That depends on how you have treated the battery (and Tesla has taken as much as possible out of that "babying your battery" hassle as possible with their "Standard Mode" settings and behaviour). So when we talk about "life" we need to also specify the parameter by which "death" is measured. To some EV drivers the range (which is HUGE from the start) could continue to decline well into 200k miles on the odometer before they consider the battery unusable ("dead"), and needing replacement.

I think I heard that VP11 might have ~80K miles now.
Apparently Tesla has a "MAP" (miles accumulation program) where some cars are driven as much as possible to see how they do with heavy use.