Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Felt like a hard enough hit that my car was totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The moment you dread... Having to come to a stop on the freeway and seeing the car behind coming up too fast. I can see on the rear camera as a 100 foot separation behind me drops to zero quickly. As we get the hit, it feels like my seat wraps around me.

Felt like a hard hit and i told my wife, the car had just been totaled. Seems like we're both ok, though people say the next day is when you really find out...

So I call 911, she goes to check on the driver behind us. His air bag deployed, but seems to be ok. Highway patrol tells me later that since the airbag deployed, he was going at least 30 mph.

I dont get put since i have 60 mph traffic going by my door.. I asked my wife, how bad is the damage to the rear? She only sees a minor scrape. No glass, etc on the ground. No Tesla alarms either. Cars seems completely drivable. The CHP guy is amazed. His first accident scene with a tesla.

We'll take it in to the shop to check it out tomorrow. What a safe car.

Guy

Very glad you, your wife, and the other driver are OK, and I hope your car makes it through the ordeal as well.

Would love to see pictures! This is the kind of thing that amazes me.

If it turns out that your car IS totalled for reasons not visible on first inspection, this is your chance to get a D (if you don't already have one!)

Again, glad everyone seems to be ok.

Glad that you are OK. Our daughter-in-law just had an accident today in her Mini. Everyone was driving along OK on the interstate when someone in the RIGHT lane saw their friend pulled over on the LEFT shoulder with a tow truck, and they decided to try to turn across 2 lanes of traffic to get to the left shoulder. STUPID!!! The daughter-in-law said it was crazy and everyone was swerving and hitting each other everywhere. She had no where to go as she was in the left lane where everyone came into. But, she is OK thank goodness.

Again, glad you and your precious cargo (wife) are fine.

Glad to hear you're all ok. Exact same thing happened to me over the Summer. I wouldn't call it a scratch, but the damage didn't seem that bad at first. 60 days and $28k she has a whole new backside and you can't really tell. Here's some pics for reference.

IMG_20140603_090501284.jpg
IMG_20140603_090457630_HDR.jpg

There was a guy around these parts last year who got smashed into the rear by a 17 wheeler semi. The guy was able to drive the Tesla home. The 17 wheeler was disabled and had to get towed. No joke. There's pics on these forums of it. To say the car can take a hit from the rear is an understatement. It definitely speaks to the level of safely engineering put into the car by the genius' over at Tesla.

So glad that you are OK! And very glad that we are all driving the equivalent of a Sherman Tank. No other car offers such great protection. I got rear ended in my 95 Volvo 850 Turbo, my special girl and paid for. Such a safe car. Hit at about 30 or so by a Chevy full sized pick up and totalled. I was fine, but what a bummer. Have you seen the frontal impact crash tests? It's amazing at how intact the Model S is.

Glad you're ok.

It's great that S owners are happy with their cars, but there's really nothing surprising here. I was rear ended in my Bimmer (2008 5-series) two years ago and the result was pretty much the same as shown here: the Corolla crashing into me (~40mph) was completely demolished. I was pushed into the car in front of me which again hit the car in front. I could drive back home with seemingly minor damage to bumpers. However, with crazy Norwegian salaries the repair cost was still $13000, as the structure absorbing the energy in the trunk region had to be replaced.

The truck incident mentioned is really not that interesting. The truck's bumber completely missed the Tesla bumber and therefore hit the Tesla with the radiator. A leak stopped the truck from continuing. If the truck had more speed and there was for instance another truck up front the truck bumper could have entered the trunk abobe the bumper, completely missing the crash structure built to absorb.

Early S deliveries are far from 5-star NCAP, however when a heavy and a normal car crashes, the smaller car takes up most of the absorption.

Early S deliveries are far from 5-star NCAP, however when a heavy and a normal car crashes, the smaller car takes up most of the absorption.

Uhh there's no difference between an early tesla delivery and a recent tesla delivery. The crash structures are the same. Granted some have the reinforced rear bumper for the jump seats and others don't but as far as early vs late I don't see why one would get 5-star NCAP and the other wouldn't... Do you mind explaining??

Uhh there's no difference between an early tesla delivery and a recent tesla delivery. The crash structures are the same. Granted some have the reinforced rear bumper for the jump seats and others don't but as far as early vs late I don't see why one would get 5-star NCAP and the other wouldn't... Do you mind explaining??

Crash structure is probably the same, but speed assistance and lane departure warning are missing on older cars, the rear seat head rests give better rear impact results etc. I have not summed up the points, but my point is that according to NCAP (even though tests get stricter every year and 5 stars now is better than last year) many other large cars offer the same protection.

there was a guy around these parts last year who got smashed into the rear by a 17 wheeler semi. The guy was able to drive the tesla home. The 17 wheeler was disabled and had to get towed. No joke. There's pics on these forums of it. To say the car can take a hit from the rear is an understatement. It definitely speaks to the level of safely engineering put into the car by the genius' over at tesla.

i would love to see those pics