Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Take That BMW VW: 1000 new Quick Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article, I gather that Nissan's stations will have both CHAdeMO and J1772 plugs. With all that power available, I'd hope the J1772 is at 80A!

We have to balance the commendable breadth of Nissan's plans against the fact that its plug-in car, the Leaf, has a short range. It seems likely that Nissan will focus its new stations in metropolitan areas, supporting the Leaf's role as a commuter/errand car. I doubt that we'll see anyone driving the Leaf coast-to-coast on Nissan's expanded CHAdeMO network anytime soon.

I would rather pay to charge at a 50kW Chademo charger than wait for a 120kW supercharger that was ICEd.
The devil is in the details.

Assuming these CHAdeMOs continue the trend of having only a single stall per site, something tells me that the likelihood of the CHAdeMO being ICE'd is much higher than all the stalls at a Supercharger are ICE'd. I've now Supercharged about 50 times, and have never been ICE'd...

But I don't get the animosity... This is good news -- more DC chargers coming, and ones that are at least usable with Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. I see it as more options for destination charging and possibly opens up some non-Supercharger routes. I don't currently plan to get the CHAdeMO adapter, but placement of these chargers might sway my mind...

From the article, I gather that Nissan's stations will have both CHAdeMO and J1772 plugs. With all that power available, I'd hope the J1772 is at 80A!...

I doubt we would see high current AC J1772. More likely they have SAE-Combo DC, along with the CHAdeMO, and maybe 30A J1772.

Their "Freedom stations" came with AC J1772, but plans for SAE Combo DC too:
http://www.nrgevgo.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NRG-eVgo-Freedom-Station-Infographic.pdf
nrg.png

I see them say things like "up to 24 miles per hour charging" which I think indicates 30A max on the J1772.

Last edited:
Not necessarily, would you rather sit at a 50kW Chademo that you have to pay for to charge your car or a free 120kW supercharger?
I get your point, but "help offset the need for" != "eliminate the need for". Clearly 120kW free is better than 50kW paid, but any additional charging opportunities in cities is good, and will help drive EV adoption (and, by extension, Tesla adoption) by city residents.

I know plenty of city dwellers without off-street parking. An EV is a tough sell for that potential buyer.

So, now that this appears to be happening, time to repeat previously asked but not really answered questions 1) will Tesla make a CCS adaptor? 2)will CCS or Chademo offer a quicker charging, in real world guise?

Here's another question: Since the patents are open, will a manufacturer offer a Tesla plug on a DCQC unit? In Europe, there are triple-standard ABB units offering CHAdeMO, CCS Combo and 43 kW AC. In North America it would make sense to replace the 43 kW AC by Tesla.

Here's another question: Since the patents are open, will a manufacturer offer a Tesla plug on a DCQC unit? In Europe, there are triple-standard ABB units offering CHAdeMO, CCS Combo and 43 kW AC. In North America it would make sense to replace the 43 kW AC by Tesla.

It is unlikely that anyone will make a Tesla charging station other than Tesla itself. Why bother? The J1772 works for everyone and Teslas come with an adapter. There is no advantage of having a Tesla plug over J1772 from a charging station point of view.