Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Lift Kit for the Model S Parcel Shelf - SOLD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WeazL

Moderator - Hawaii
Aug 18, 2013
Oahu, Hawaii
Auto-Lift Kit for the Model S Parcel Shelf

Tired of forgetting to flip back down the parcel shelf lip and driving around with it taunting you in the mirror? Or, are you annoyed with always having to flip up the parcel shelf flap because you frequently carry lots of cargo? I am a MS owner and share in your frustration?this kit is the solution.

Sleek in design to complement the modern Model S character, this discrete kit uses ultra-durable materials that are professionally manufactured to withstand thousands of open-close sequences. Once installed, this device will raise the lip portion of the Model S parcel shelf with the rear hatch as it opens, allowing for easy access to more of the trunk. Upon closing, it lowers the lip back down to its resting position. This kit is designed specifically to fit the Tesla Model S factory parcel shelf.

Need to take the shelf out for a large load??No problem! Designed to allow for quick and easy removal, it takes about 2 seconds to disconnect. Reconnecting is equally quick and easy.

Installation is straight forward and takes less than 2 minutes. No drilling of any kind is required?in fact installation can be completed without any tools. Upon removal (at anytime), your vehicle will be in its original condition. Anyone can install this kit and detailed installation instructions with pictures are included.

*Note that this kit is designed for hatches that open to 100%. If you have set a custom height at which your hatch opens to, this device may not work as intended in your vehicle and you should contact me prior to purchasing to arrange for a custom kit.

Members of our local Hawaii club tested this kit and through their feedback and my own experience (I too have a MS), it has been refined several times over since I first developed it in May of 2014. Now, after multiple revisions and refinements, I am confident that this kit is ready.

I have a little more than half a dozen available from the final test batch of the new and professionally manufactured element. More are on the way and should arrive any day.

Shipping is $2.50 to anywhere in the USA and $6 to international destinations.

***I will be on a trip from 2/1/15 - 2/10/15, so orders/requests made during that time may be delayed in shipping until I return.***

Aloha,

WeazL

List Date: 1/28/2015

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Auto-Lift Kit for the Model S Parcel Shelf
--------------------------------------
SOLD

browseformore.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

rDH3bG01KDe6.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4633.jpg
    IMG_4633.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 615
Last edited:
The kit is composed of three primary components and one subcomponent. The primary components are 1) an anchor to the hatch that is removable, won't harm the vehicle, is aesthetically pleasing, yet allows for quick disconnect and reconnecting, 2) a super strong filament that has been coated to protect the vehicle, and 3) an anchor that attaches the assembly to the parcel shelf. They are all high quality components designed and selected to as not to harm any part of the vehicle, however after going through 7 months figuring out what works and what doesn't (it wasn't rocket science, but it was frustrating and time consuming), meeting with the beta testers in our club to change out components, talking with them to get feedback, then working out things again based on that feedback and repeating the process, to post closeup photos would pretty much let others imitate it. I am confident that anyone who purchases the product will love it and I stand by that with a 100% money back guarantee. I like things simple. If you're happy with it, great! If you want to return it for any reason for a refund, no problem, but I am confident that you'll be happy with it. :wink:

The beauty of the system is that it's removable anytime and that it can be quickly disconnected and reconnected as needed to remove the shelf for large loads. The folks who beta tested them in the club loved them and those who have bought them from me privately do too based on their feedback. I've not had a single user express disappointment. I originally had it priced lower during the beta phase, however it was actually users of the kit who suggested I raise the price for the time and effort that's been put in (they know) and the value and benefit this kit provides. For $18 + $2 shipping, which is very reasonable I believe, you'll love the convenience this kit provides...or your money back! Thank you very much to those of you who have purchased kits since I posted this yesterday! Your trust is sincerely appreciated and I know you will love the product, it's simplicity, quality, design and reliability.

Aloha,

WeazL

Well, I am ruined. I've been miserably spoiled now. I've had this Auto-Lift Kit on my MS for more than six months now. I'd even forgotten it was on there. It took me about three weeks to get so accustomed to it lifting my parcel shelf, that I even forgot it was there. In the first year+ of having a MS, at least 50% of the time, I forgot to lower the shelf. And that meant pouring my big old butt out of my front seat an extra time just to open the trunk, lower the lid and close the trunk. Now, it doesn't even cross my mind its there. I haven't given a thought to the auto lift kit being on my MS until I saw the post about this item.

All I can add is THANKS Weazl. Its so simple and yet so indispensable to me now.

So, if one does open the parcel shelf all the way to it's normal flopped open position, this kit will or won't be able to close it automatically? Or does it just lift up and down the parcel shelf panel 60 or so degrees with the rear hatch? Because I could still see a situation where one needs to open the parcel shelf flap "all the way" and still forgetting to close it.

Also, as soon as you sell the first one, the "design" cat is out of the bag, so to speak, and someone will post photos of it close up. I'm sure you're offering a good product for a reasonable price.. it just seems strange not to post photos of the actual device for fear that someone will copy your work. That's just the free market at work. Like I said above, the same thing can be achieved with a thumb tack, a piece of tape, and some twine. I probably would spend $20 for the device, but not really without seeing what it actually is.

Hi HankLloydRight,

To answer your question, indeed the kit to will only open and close the shelf itself to about 60 degrees or so as you've described. It cannot close the parcel shelf if it is manually lifted all the way until its resting in the open position. And, yes, you are right, I cannot control what others post. I do believe it to be a good, reliable product as you've suggested. I hope that the 100% money-back assurance will alleviate any concerns over lack of detailed photos at this time, however, perhaps I'll post some additional photos anyway. :rolleyes: After all, anyone could do this themselves, but for $18, this sure makes it a lot more convenient than having to source everything yourself and go through trial and error of design and materials.

I made my own for zero cost using a very thin chain that I had. I plastic coated it so that it is silent when driving and it is removable at any time in case I want to remove the cover. Took about 30 min. The nice thing about the chain is that I was able to induce a small amount of twist in order to avoid it folding into the weather stripping when closing. It folds down toward the center of the body. Works like a charm, looks good and causes no problems. Could not have been easier.

Thanks. Can you post one with the trunk closed? i.e. where does the string bunch up, how visible is it from outside the car, etc.

Fully closed, the trunk looks unremarkable. The kit is not visible from the outside at all. I've attached a photo showing the trunk close to closing. The filament may lay on the weather strip, or may not. Even if it lays on Tesla's beefy weatherstrip, the hatch closes without issue and is air/water tight. I've intentionally driven it with it on the weatherstrip and passengers in the rear to listen--no air sound/leak whatsoever as the filament is very thin. Also, washing the vehicle with it crossing the weatherstrip introduced zero water past the weatherstrip. The weatherstrip remains fully functional whether or not the filament is on it.

360.jpg