Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Teslas crash :-(. Not bad but need parts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... Picked up the wife's 2015 P85 tonight, I was behind her in a 2014 P85+ w/AutoPilot and my son behind me in a 2013 P85. She stopped after being cut off. I was locked on her car via TACC but was overriding the accelerator to close the gap so when I got off the go pedal the car appropriately stopped hard. Then BANG as my son, who doesn't have the reflexes of a computer smacked right into my rear end.

I was stunned to see the only damage was the nosecone of car 3 and bumper cover of car 2. Happily suprised given how it felt. LOVE these cars. Every day they prove themselves. Now the question, I know the nosecone is available but is the bumper cover? Anyone have ideas on actual cost? I'd like to bring it to a professional tesla approved shop but want to see what I should be paying.

The trap you all fell into was "follow me".

I NEVER tell anyone to follow me, and I don't say I'll follow you...

Get the destination figured out first, if it's not immediately obvious to all.

Then say instead, I'll MEET YOU at < the destination >, good bye. Let cars take off at different rates. Never try to "catch up".

I actually try to shake apart a follow-me train if ever that seems to be happening, by taking an inappropriate turn, timing a red light to let one car through, but second car get's caught having to stop, letting someone pass, slowing and opening a gap ahead that some driver can't resist slipping into... anything to make distance and objects get between the chain of drivers.

Some people can't handle not following each other closely. In these cases, when I know they'll be chasing my tail if I were to lead, I say "I'll follow you" and start off that way but very soon will get myself "stuck" a few cars back or whatever it takes to break the mental link of constantly staring at each other.. and I'll do a reverse shake-off. Disappear into traffic somewhere behind them so they give up waiting for me.

People fall into nose down drivers staring at bumper of car ahead when following. Brake lights are too late notice for the guy behind. He should be watching through *your* windshield as to what is going on and react to that.

Especially when computers will be controlling the brakes nowadays... it's the only chance a human has.

Now the question, I know the nosecone is available but is the bumper cover? Anyone have ideas on actual cost? I'd like to bring it to a professional tesla approved shop but want to see what I should be paying.
They are both available... Ebay has them .. $150 for nosecone, $500 for bumper cover. Take them to a body shop and have them painted/installed for a few hundred.. You can probably get it all back to normal for $1000 bucks. Good luck! Glad noone is hurt!!

Then say instead, I'll MEET YOU at < the destination >, good bye. Let cars take off at different rates. Never try to "catch up".

I actually try to shake apart a follow-me train if ever that seems to be happening, by taking an inappropriate turn, timing a red light to let one car through, but second car get's caught having to stop, letting someone pass, slowing and opening a gap ahead that some driver can't resist slipping into... anything to make distance and objects get between the chain of drivers.

Some people can't handle not following each other closely. In these cases, when I know they'll be chasing my tail if I were to lead, I say "I'll follow you" and start off that way but very soon will get myself "stuck" a few cars back or whatever it takes to break the mental link of constantly staring at each other.. and I'll do a reverse shake-off. Disappear into traffic somewhere behind them so they give up waiting for me.

People fall into nose down drivers staring at bumper of car ahead when following. Brake lights are too late notice for the guy behind. He should be watching through *your* windshield as to what is going on and react to that.

Especially when computers will be controlling the brakes nowadays... it's the only chance a human has.

I believe this holds particularly true if the cars are under the same insurance policy. I think you are responsible for the repairs. Maybe that varies by policy/insurer/region, though.

They are both available... Ebay has them .. $150 for nosecone, $500 for bumper cover. Take them to a body shop and have them painted/installed for a few hundred.. You can probably get it all back to normal for $1000 bucks. Good luck! Glad noone is hurt!!

I've been told the bumper cover is repairable but decided to just fix it right by replacing it. eBay doesn't have the 2014 autopilot sensors so I decided to go all new. Nose cone 400, bumper cover 950, paint/install 500. So 1500.00 not too bad. Could have been so much worse. Being how minor the damage is I doubt there's much risk of depreciation due to the accident. I'll keep the records just in case.

The only time I've ever had to do the "follow me" thing, I was in rural Germany with no GPS, following my sister to her husband's relatives' house after her wedding. Following her car was the only feasible way for us to all end up there. It did get a bit hairy in spots however, definitely not fun. Sometimes it's the only option though.

Glad you're all ok, OP! I'm always comforted by how well these cars seem to do in crashes, big or small.

The only time I've ever had to do the "follow me" thing, I was in rural Germany with no GPS, following my sister to her husband's relatives' house after her wedding. Following her car was the only feasible way for us to all end up there. It did get a bit hairy in spots however, definitely not fun. Sometimes it's the only option though.

Glad you're all ok, OP! I'm always comforted by how well these cars seem to do in crashes, big or small.

We weren't caught in a follow me scenario... we were going from Tesla to the house... just chose to caravan it.

Now the final bad news: Total cost of repair $2600.00. That was some expensive screwing around.