Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Doing the math on the mileage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my model s, my wife and I bought it when we found out we would be working across the street from each other, so it has become our everyday car. In the 4 months we have owned the car, we have driven 11,000 miles, which is great, but now I'm doing the math, and starting to freak out. We average 85 miles a day in this car, which is 31,000 miles a year or by the time the loan is paid off, 160,000 miles+. ugh my poor Tom Morrow is getting used!

i know I should calm down and just take care of him and use him, it's a car not a collectors item, but I still worry.

Tell me im crazy and I should just enjoy this amazing car, that only gets better with time. I can change the battery in a few years, hopefully with the giga-factory that will be more affordable, and the motor should last and last. Am I crazy, or is it fine.

We we have a 60kwh so no unlimited mile warranty unfortunately.

Why are you freaking out? The more miles you drive in this car, the cheaper the total cost of ownership. The battery pack will last longer than you think, too.

Just realize that the more miles you put on the car, the closer it gets to the total cost of ownership of a Toyota Corolla :).

In justifying the S purchase, I plan on having the car at least 10 years. Next month we are coming up on 2 years with just under 1000 miles/month average, and love it. Energy costs (electricity used vs gasoline used for the same mileage on our prior car) is 15 - 20% of what Gasoline was costing us.

As others have said-- a car this expensive is meant to be driven and enjoyed. You'll actually lower the cost of ownership anyhow, because in 8-10 years the resale value on high end cars sucks. In which case the more you drive this and not a gasser the more $ you save. So drive it, use it, enjoy it, but take good care of it. Just because a car has been driven and enjoyed doesn't mean it isn't worth owning. And your battery will prob last much longer than you seem to think-- don't lose any sleep! :)

Why are you freaking out? The more miles you drive in this car, the cheaper the total cost of ownership. The battery pack will last longer than you think, too.

Just realize that the more miles you put on the car, the closer it gets to the total cost of ownership of a Toyota Corolla :).

This. Batteries do degrade with miles, but mainly they degrade with age. The 85kWh's unlimited miles warranty doesn't warrant against battery degradation.

The question is what _else_ will go. I think the OP should remember that Tesla's business model recognizes the high up-front cost of BEVs, so they aim to sell direct and minimize costs (including repair) in order to maximize competitiveness. Lots of reliability complaints from 60kWh owners in a few years would be bad for business, so I think that by the time the warranty expires the car will be reliable.

Last edited:
I got an EV energy plan though PGE here in CA and after changing the way I use energy for the home appliances, my bill dropped 100/mth compared to before I had the car. So not only am I saving on gas (now zero), I am actually making 100/mth in savings. I am shocked and so happy. I am now working locally, which helps. But before that, I was spending 650/mth in gas that dropped immediately to 105. So the savings alone make it a great buy. Re: battery life, if you charge properly and take good care of your battery (85% charge for most use, not regular full charge), you should get very good life. Nobody really knows how long right now, because this is all so new. But I bet, as you mentioned, that a battery swap will be easy and cost effective. Remember that the Model S has practically no maintenance at all. A huge savings over the life of the car.

Drive, drive, drive and enjoy!