Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New member, advice please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I never planned on ordering an all electric car(I am all about hearing the motor) but the more I see the Model S around the more I gravitate towards it. Now that they have introduced dual motor with the P85D, I really am really close to pulling the trigger.

I was wondering if there were any members out there that have the new P85D and what their unbiased opinions on the car were. I have an eclectic arrange of cars, from Fords to Chevys to Mercedes to Rolls to Ferraris. I was wondering what car it closely resembles when driving. I am contemplating the Model S for a daily.

Finally, does Tesla offer discounts at their retail locations? I usually buy my cars but I was looking at the lease payments and they sound pretty reasonable(minus the down payment.) So at this point pretty torn on what direction to take. I definitely want to test drive the new P85D so I plan to go in to my local Tesla dealer to see if I can do that.

Cheers! Thanks in advance for any insight I receive.

Hi everyone,

I never planned on ordering an all electric car(I am all about hearing the motor) but the more I see the Model S around the more I gravitate towards it. Now that they have introduced dual motor with the P85D, I really am really close to pulling the trigger.

I was wondering if there were any members out there that have the new P85D and what their unbiased opinions on the car were. I have an eclectic arrange of cars, from Fords to Chevys to Mercedes to Rolls to Ferraris. I was wondering what car it closely resembles when driving. I am contemplating the Model S for a daily.

Just explore the forum and you'll see plenty of owner reports regarding the P85D. You might want to schedule a test drive & decide what it most closely resembles for yourself. (I suspect you'll find it doesn't *resemble* anything you've driven before...)

Finally, does Tesla offer discounts at their retail locations? I usually buy my cars but I was looking at the lease payments and they sound pretty reasonable(minus the down payment.) So at this point pretty torn on what direction to take. I definitely want to test drive the new P85D so I plan to go in to my local Tesla dealer to see if I can do that.

Tesla does not offer any discounts on their new cars. Whether you order online or while at a store, price will be exactly the same.

Tesla does not offer any discounts on their new cars. Whether you order online or while at a store, price will be exactly the same.

Tesla does offer a slight discount on lightly used demo, showroom or service loaner inventory units that may come available. They are sold as new with full warranty and eligible for fed tax credits, typically discounted using a formula of $1.00 per mile + $1000/per month in service.

1. I too enjoy hearing and trying to control my 14:1 8.9 litre ICE (no traction control, no stability control, no computers)
2. The instantaneous, nearly 100% torque (at every rpm), quiet, relentless, velvet power delivery is addictive in an S
3. It just doesn't resemble any other car when driving
4. And hundreds of more reasons to add a P85D to your collection!

(best of luck not purchasing one after your test :love: drive)

Last edited:
I definitely want to test drive the new P85D so I plan to go in to my local Tesla dealer to see if I can do that.

First insight is there are no Tesla dealers. It's a Tesla store, just like an Apple store (in many ways). Buying the car directly from Tesla rather than going through the auto dealer cartel is one of the best things about Tesla.

I have always loved the sound of my ICE cars, almost always modifying them for more performance and sound. But after getting my P85+, when I drive my ICE, all I can think of is how loud and crude it is. Though I still love the car. Not to mention the incredible improvement in performance. You have to drive it to understand it. And the P85D is even better. Instant torque from zero all the way through. No ICE can match it.

When I took my first test drive and hit the go pedal, I yelled "holy f-ing sh-t" and the sales guy said it was the best response he had ever gotten. I couldn't believe it. And I'm only at 3.8, where the D is 3.2. It is truly breathtaking. And...I love scaring my friends when I launch!