Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rotating tires on P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know that rotating the tires on a P85+ is not usually possible due to the combination of directional tires and staggered wheels.

However, my rear tires (265/35R21 Michelins) are done and I plan on replacing them in the spring with Pilot Supersports (245/35R21). This would effectively return my car to a squared setup, which would normally allow front/back rotation.

Even though the tires would now be the same size, the wheels would not be. (8.5" front vs. 9.0" rear). Would this difference still prevent tire rotation even though the tires are now the same size?

If you are considering going to a square setup, I would change the rims so all are the same size. We have the 21's in the square setup with the Michelins, and currently have 22K miles on them. They have been rotated every 5K miles by Tesla, and the alignment performed at the services.

I know that rotating the tires on a P85+ is not usually possible due to the combination of directional tires and staggered wheels.

However, my rear tires (265/35R21 Michelins) are done and I plan on replacing them in the spring with Pilot Supersports (245/35R21). This would effectively return my car to a squared setup, which would normally allow front/back rotation.

Even though the tires would now be the same size, the wheels would not be. (8.5" front vs. 9.0" rear). Would this difference still prevent tire rotation even though the tires are now the same size?

Maybe we should trade....My 2 8.5 for your 2 9.0 rims?

Maybe we should trade....My 2 8.5 for your 2 9.0 rims?

Heh, that would have worked well since I'm planning on driving out to the east coast this summer. Could have met you in the middle.

Only problem is I need the rims before I set out so I can put new tires on them (my current rears are down to the wear bars so I wouldn't trust them on a long trip). Fancy a trip to Saskatchewan? :wink:

I suppose we could ship them but I shudder to think of the freight charges.