Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shut up with the stupid pointless race videos and the general anti Tesla campaign.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently noticed a few race videos showing [usually] the P85D getting beaten in one race or another.

Can I just say, when a none stock, none production sports car beats a standard production P85D, all I think of is how amazing the Tesla is.

And if it is a stock production car, then it's a sports car, not a luxury family car.

If there is [and I haven't seen it] a current production 4-5 door car that has similar spec to the P85D that car beat it, show me. At which point I will tell you it still runs on gas,

Staying on a similar theme, let me also add if I may, another thought, the oil companies are going to fight hard to stop the EV revolution, they don't need people to aid them; by promoting their old world gas guzzlers or dissing Tesla. Don't sell out your morals for personal gain. Not everything is perfect; but why promote anti Tesla feeling when YOU know it's the future, and Tesla are doing a good job trying to get us into an EV world.

Just come to terms with it, ICE is dead. Most MS drivers know this already, we are just slightly ahead of the rest of the world. We don't need gas guzzlers any more, EVs and the Tesla MS is here.

Last edited:
I'm curious, too. The AMG came very close and the Hellcat with an excellent driver and perfect conditions "should" win, but lots of reviewers are having issues getting manufacturer's spec out of the Hellcat. The only video I've seen of a P85D losing was to a custom built *electric* drag car, of which there are many and have been for decades. There should be about a dozen actual production cars that can do the job out there, but not many that you find at a drag strip.

Well, that's one of them. The E63s lost on both runs. I'd also point out that the C7 is some kind of custom. A stock 'vette doesn't drop an 11.67 quarter and with a better start, we've seen other P85Ds do 11.6, so even the C7 video is a bit of an anomaly.

I think there was another exotic that spanked the P85D in one of the early ones from a street race.

now hold on a minute, america has a lot of race problems, it is important we talk about them and the violence from white priviledge against black males and....

oh. wrong thread.

(to be serious for a moment, understand that the OP's emotional and reactionary complaint is very much like the complaints from ICE fans, except pro-tesla. if you go to other fourms or r/cars, you will find a lot of ICE dudes saying things like

"im sick of these threads posting vids of an EV beating an ICE for 0-60. Perf is much more than just initial accelaration"

"i'd like to see the S finish a proper track, this vid is so misleading"

"of course the EVs have better torque from zero, why dont ppl post vids of S on a proper autobahn?"

etc

this OP's is reaction is no better than theirs.

shame you can't enjoy the vids for what they are, OP. I myself like all these vids. Goes to show how far tesla has come, yet how far they have yet to go, if they really want to compete.

You know Rluner....I don't think we need to worry. the Oilcompanies might actually be pretty happy with the flood of different EVs coming to market. It means cheaper gas. And it's just a question of time when we don't even have educate people how to start using electric cars. When the 200-mile per charge Bolt or Gen III is released it will TOTALLY change the image of the industry, once and for all. For now it's just a matter of a little wait :)

Honestly, this is the part about owning a Tesla that I don't like at all. This whole "them against us"' "we are the future" "ICE is dead" inflammatory comments that create unnecessary contempt between two perspectives.

The P85D is fast...I have one. Its awesome and fast and a tech marvel as far as I'm concerned, but its not without its own shortcomings or flaws...like every other car out there!! Im glad I purchased it and intend to get many miles out of it - some of which I will be taking full use of its incredible power and smiling all the way. But I'm not under the illusion that 'ICE is dead". I also have a (faster) 911 TT 991; the two are not comparable. Sure I could make a video for amusement where the 911 with everything its got only manages to scrape by it with a 1/2 second to spare by the time they reach 60 mph...and leave the P85D well behind by the time the 1/4 arrives in the mid 10s (probably knocking at the door of 11 sec).

The videos are pure entertainment and maybe for a little bragging rights on behalf of the S...which will stir those looking to best it themselves. Who cares? Lets all take a step back from the whole elitist mentality around EV's and their owners being the smartest people in the room. Not all of us think that way....

You know Rluner....I don't think we need to worry. the Oilcompanies might actually be pretty happy with the flood of different EVs coming to market. It means cheaper gas. And it's just a question of time when we don't even have educate people how to start using electric cars. When the 200-mile per charge Bolt or Gen III is released it will TOTALLY change the image of the industry, once and for all. For now it's just a matter of a little wait :)
I don't think the oil companies are happy with low gas/oil prices

Well, that's one of them. The E63s lost on both runs. I'd also point out that the C7 is some kind of custom. A stock 'vette doesn't drop an 11.67 quarter and with a better start, we've seen other P85Ds do 11.6, so even the C7 video is a bit of an anomaly.

I think there was another exotic that spanked the P85D in one of the early ones from a street race.

The MB won the last one... Barely... Funny how it took three attempts for them to finally squeek out enough performance to beat the Tesla which again goes back to ease of driving the Tesla. You don't have to be a "pro" to get the full perf of the car. I don't care how many cars can beat the P85D or even my quite slow S85. I have had far more fun in this thing than any manual performance car I have had the pleasure of driving!

Honestly, this is the part about owning a Tesla that I don't like at all. This whole "them against us"' "we are the future" "ICE is dead" inflammatory comments that create unnecessary contempt between two perspectives.

The P85D is fast...I have one. Its awesome and fast and a tech marvel as far as I'm concerned, but its not without its own shortcomings or flaws...like every other car out there!! Im glad I purchased it and intend to get many miles out of it - some of which I will be taking full use of its incredible power and smiling all the way. But I'm not under the illusion that 'ICE is dead". I also have a (faster) 911 TT 991; the two are not comparable. Sure I could make a video for amusement where the 911 with everything its got only manages to scrape by it with a 1/2 second to spare by the time they reach 60 mph...and leave the P85D well behind by the time the 1/4 arrives in the mid 10s (probably knocking at the door of 11 sec).

The videos are pure entertainment and maybe for a little bragging rights on behalf of the S...which will stir those looking to best it themselves. Who cares? Lets all take a step back from the whole elitist mentality around EV's and their owners being the smartest people in the room. Not all of us think that way....

agree completely.

if only more ppl would see it like that!

The MB won the last one... Barely... Funny how it took three attempts for them to finally squeek out enough performance to beat the Tesla which again goes back to ease of driving the Tesla. You don't have to be a "pro" to get the full perf of the car. I don't care how many cars can beat the P85D or even my quite slow S85. I have had far more fun in this thing than any manual performance car I have had the pleasure of driving!

I wonder which event you are talking about? Can't really be this one as the races were virtually ties. With their electronic launch mode cars like the AMG don't require "pros" at the wheel, either. I'm rather surprised that the Tesla wasn't able to outclass the Mercedes in Tesla's core discipline, given its substantial advantage in torque and hp. We don't have to discuss what the Mercedes would have done to the Tesla on something like the Nürburgring, after all?
I'm not sure I'm happy about anyone with the access to these kinds of cars being able to achieve that performance anyway. These cars seem to be in urgent need of a valet/ teenage son/daughter limited performance software mode.

I wonder which event you are talking about? Can't really be this one as the races were virtually ties. With their electronic launch mode cars like the AMG don't require "pros" at the wheel, either. I'm rather surprised that the Tesla wasn't able to outclass the Mercedes in Tesla's core discipline, given its substantial advantage in torque and hp.
The Tesla did outclass the Benz; it won both races and posted the best 1/4 of both races. The Benz was not able to post in the 11.6's in either of its runs. In the 2nd race the Benz got a faster 1/4 time than the Tesla on that run but still lost the race because the Tesla driver had a better reaction time at the start.

We obviously have a different understanding of the meaning of "outclass". Given its power advantage and the fact that this is the discipline where EVs do best I would have expected a much clearer win for the Tesla.

From the dyno results we have seen recently it shows (based in my novice interpretation) that power is currently limited and did not exceed 415 hp even though the torque was well above spec. Tesla will be releasing an update soon and I'm sure it will make better use of the available power advantage.

http://www.dragtimes.com/blog/tesla-model-s-p85d-shocks-the-dyno-with-864-ft-lbs-of-torque

I just switched from a 911 TT and unless you are talking about the relatively rare S variant, the P85D is going to be well ahead at 60 and is going to edge either a GT2 or a regular TT at the quarter mile. Even the S version is going to require a near perfect launch and shifts, so it may end up losing in real world conditions too. It isn't going to be a half second faster to 60 and it isn't going to clock a mid 10 either.