Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't heated steering wheel setting persistent like heated seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
At this time of year I always turn on the heater for the steering wheel. But it seems to reset to Off every time the car is shut off. Why isn't this setting the same as heated seats that stay on until turned off manually? At least this is better than my Lexus where the steering wheel heater would turn off after 30 minutes.

IMHO the logic for the default setting should be like this:
Code:
IF tires = winter_tires then {
    heated_seats=on
    heated_steering_wheel=on
    }

At this time of year I always turn on the heater for the steering wheel. But it seems to reset to Off every time the car is shut off. Why isn't this setting the same as heated seats that stay on until turned off manually? At least this is better than my Lexus where the steering wheel heater would turn off after 30 minutes.

IMHO the logic for the default setting should be like this:
Code:
IF tires = winter_tires then {
    heated_seats=on
    heated_steering_wheel=on
    }

Oh POOR you, you have to turn on your heated steering wheel each time you get in the car. [No, I'm not bitter at all about not receiving the heated steering wheel] :)

• Funny
Reactions: Pollux and calisnow
That's why I waited a few weeks before sending this - but hey, I live in Canada and need it a lot more than someone in NoVa.

Perhaps. It still gets cold down here. And we paid the same amount for our matching red/tan P85Ds. </rant off>

I'm also surprised Tesla hasn't added the ability to turn on/off the heated seats and wheel from the mobile app.

Perhaps. It still gets cold down here. And we paid the same amount for our matching red/tan P85Ds. </rant off>

I'm also surprised Tesla hasn't added the ability to turn on/off the heated seats and wheel from the mobile app.
I know, you guys deserve them as well. I was lucky to be one of the first to actually get them. I would think that turning on climate should turn on the other heating elements in your vehicle as well.

wayner-- totally agree. One thing we LOVE about our 2012 Nissan Leaf is that it remembers if the Heated Steering Wheel was on last time. It is persistent, which is REALLY nice. And then it has manual rockers for the heated seats, so those are always going to stay the same way.. so even better. But yeah, Tesla needs to get with the program. And pre-heating the car the heated items (seats/steering) really NEED to be added to the app, too. Pre-cooling a car is one thing, but pre-heating is even better usefulness... please Tesla if you read this, add heated item control to app!

I actually would prefer things the other way, and would prefer it if the heated seats reset to off every time the car was turned off. If I had a passenger in the back seat who I had turned on the heated seat for on my last trip, I may not even realize that seat is still being heated on my current trip, since there is no indication of that on my main 17 inch display unless I bring up the cold weather screen.

That being said, I do have an easy solution, that would make everyone happy: Tesla should just give us the option to make these things--the heated seat settings, and heated steering wheel setting--persistent or not persistent. I would choose not persistent, for all options. The OP would choose persistent for all options. Everyone is happy.

Last edited:
Good post.
I live in Cleveland. Have a few week old P85D. Love love love it. I have cold weather package.
1. I think only my front heated seats stay persistent. I would prefer just my driver stay, but its not terrible if my passengers stays persistent, easy to turn off.
2. As for heated steering wheel, I do find it an annoyance to have to turn it on in colder weather. I would prefer if it went on at a preset outside temperature, like below 40°F or some setting.
3. I would also like my heated steering wheel to stay persistently on, if my option of temperature setting was not available.
4. Not to digress, but does anyone out there wish that we monitor /charge/pre-condition our Tesla via a web portal, instead of an app?
5. Not to digress further, but does anyone wish that we could set the preconditioning via a calendar on Tesla's site/portal instead of relying on a complicated smart conditioning set up?

4. Not to digress, but does anyone out there wish that we monitor /charge/pre-condition our Tesla via a web portal, instead of an app?

Not me, but I could see why some might like it.
5. Not to digress further, but does anyone wish that we could set the preconditioning via a calendar on Tesla's site/portal instead of relying on a complicated smart conditioning set up?

Yes, but again I'd prefer via the app or the center screen.

I thought the back seats turned off when car turned off and it was only the front seats that remain on, which bothers me. I'd prefer to have them all turn off when the car is off.

1. I think only my front heated seats stay persistent.

It is entirely possible that I've been worrying needlessly about the backseat heaters, and that the hypothetical example I used in my post actually isn't possible. If that's the case, I apologize. I guess I've just been careful enough not to make the mistake I feared making, and I feared making it because I knew the passenger seat heater setting was persistent.

You might try the Tesla Chrome extension. I haven't tried it myself (don't have the car yet!) and it's unofficial, but it supposedly works. I believe this is the link:

Tesla Model S Control - Chrome Web Store
How do you actually log in to this? I have installed it and it brings up a window for email and password - but there is no login button. I have entered my info and pushed enter and nothing happens. It is not even clear to me that it is trying to log in and I don't get any login failure notice - but perhaps that is because I am a new user and can't authenticate on VT or anything else for that matter. Or it could be because I am at work and our security infrastructure is blocking it.

How do you actually log in to this? I have installed it and it brings up a window for email and password - but there is no login button. I have entered my info and pushed enter and nothing happens. It is not even clear to me that it is trying to log in and I don't get any login failure notice - but perhaps that is because I am a new user and can't authenticate on VT or anything else for that matter. Or it could be because I am at work and our security infrastructure is blocking it.

It's possible you are being blocked at work, wayner, but I'm sure that wouldn't matter as you'll have the same issue you have now with VT. We're on the wrong server to be able to use the extension. (I've tried, and get a login error.)

My understanding is that 6-9 months ago Tesla changed their API servers and introduced throttling among other things which made it difficult for apps such as this and VisibleTesla to communicate. The most recent review for the Chrome add on basically says it doesn't work anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm very much in favour of some level of persistence for the heated steering wheel. I just received my 70D and someone pushed me to find one thing wrong with the car. I was embarrassed to say that it was the persistence of the steering wheel heater, which got me no level of sympathy :)