Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up: Tesla no longer manufacturing NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
So I got the definitive word from Tesla that they are no longer manufacturing their NEMA 14-30 adapter for the UMC. Considering how useful this adapter is for charging from dryer sockets away from home, this is perplexing.
Anyways, for those that need one, you can try your service center to see if they have any stock left, or buy a third party adapter (but you have to dial down the amps to 24 amps on the car screen before charging) from:

http://www.evseadapters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=57

OR

http://www.corddepot.com/shop/ev-products/

OR make your own using instructions in:

http://cosmacelf.net/Home Made Adapters.pdf

Here is Tesla's response:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. Unfortunately, we are no longer producing the NEMA 14-30 Adapter and we have exhausted our supply for online orders. It may be possible for you to purchase an adapter directly through your local Service Center.

WOW !

And here I was hoping for additional UMC adapters such as an L6-30 and 6-20...

I have been using this trouble-free reliable 14-30 adapter for 2yrs/44,000 often with a 160-mile commute.

A few benefits of a 14-30:

1. passive S battery cooling is usually sufficient
2. current code compliance for new installs (unlike 10-30)
3. always runs cool without any (known) overheating issues
4. necessary for some owners that don't have enough load center capacity (load calcs)
5. ideal for residential destination charging at friends, relatives, cabins, beach houses

A few drawbacks of the lack of availability of a 14-30:

1. increase usage of home-made adapters
2. increase deployment of 3rd party manufacturer adapters
3. will encourage some owners to modify their 14-50's which can lead to catastrophic results

as I stated elsewhere:
more Tesla UMC adapters = fewer home-made/3rd party adapters = fewer failure points = less overheating issues = more reliable charging = safer charging = higher TSLA

discontinuance of UMC 10-30 coming in 3...2...1

Last edited:
I wonder if this is a prelude to Tesla bringing out a UMC version 2 with more robust adapters.

.....like maybe a new WC (wall connector) that eliminates the adapters (failure point #1) and the receptacle (failure point #2) where a same size (UMC) revised brick that is hard wired with dips 20A@240V (16A), 30A@240V (24A), 40A@240V (32A), and 50A@240V (40A) for safer home charging.

Last edited:
Glad my collection is complete...
WP_20140509_001 - Copy.jpg

I dropped a mail to one of the charging guys at Tesla, who let me know that they have indeed dropped the 14-30 adapter. I did suggest that a 14-30 adapter was a good thing that helped limit the number of custom-built adapters that were more dangerous. I didn't get any details as to why it was discontinued, but it was suggested that if a 30-amp connection to a 14-30 was needed, that the existing 10-30 adapter could be used and a 10-30 could be installed instead of a 14-30.

I did reply that it violated code to install a new 10-30 outlet. You could create a small adapter from 14-30 to 10-30 to use the 10-30 adapter. Of course, that would be an extension cord and would be a violation too :).

Bottom line: if you can find one, get one while they last. :)

Last edited:
To plug into a 14-30 outlet, you can just snip/grind off the neutral post of the 14-50 adapter. Several people have done this since there is no connection to it on the UMC. You just need to remember to dial down the amps in the car.

I do have the 14-30 adapter and have used it once. I'll still hang on to it, though.

To plug into a 14-30 outlet, you can just snip/grind off the neutral post of the 14-50 adapter. Several people have done this since there is no connection to it on the UMC. You just need to remember to dial down the amps in the car.

It's a bad idea to rely upon turning down the current in the car. I agree it will work, but the FAQ (see my signature) explains why it's not the safest thing to do. I'd create a 14-30 to 10-30 conversion cord and use the 10-30 adapter before I'd snip off/modify the neutral of the 14-50 adapter.

It's a bad idea to rely upon turning down the current in the car. I agree it will work, but the FAQ (see my signature) explains why it's not the safest thing to do. I'd create a 14-30 to 10-30 conversion cord and use the 10-30 adapter before I'd snip off/modify the neutral of the 14-50 adapter.

Who's to say Tesla is going to continue making the 10-30 adapter, too? Don't you think it's odd they would kill the newer 14-30 and not 10-30?

Glad my collection is complete...
View attachment 70471

Mine too! Waiting to add the CHAdeMO and eventually, the CCS Combo adapter to the collection.

Better not leave the adapters in the car when taking it in for service. You never know what Tesla might do ;)

I use the 10-30 adapter at home. Didn't know though that it's not upto code now.

Oh, the 10-30 is still up to code. The code just says you can't install a new one.

And yes, I suspect the 10-30 adapter is not long for this world, or at least, won't be for sale as soon as they run out of their current inventory.