Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1,001 New Chargers Coming To Kansas City

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's great news. That is the best way to give new EV buyers reassurance. We have to think of all the people that live in places where there are no dedicated parking and thus charging spots. These people rely on public charging.

This is great. I wish all areas would go to these efforts.

I was surprised to learn in the article that Texas has the second-most number of ev charging facilities after California. I guess we have to have someplace to tie up our horses.:wink:

A little more detail on the utility's website, including free charging for two years, sponsored by host sites and Nissan.
Clean Charge Network - KCPL
What they don't say is how much power is available at the chargers. Hopefully they've gone with at least 30A delivered.
I'm sure they'll be at least 30 amp, but it would be great if there were some CCS and/or some 70 amp J1772.

I didn't see any type of "Clean Charge Network" branding, but I am assuming that this new fast charger is a part of the network that KCP&L announced this week. This one is located at the Starbuck's at 119th Street in Olathe next to Bass Pro and is equipped with two cables. It doesn't appear to be turned on just yet, but here are a couple of photos that I snapped. I'm sure someone with a better understanding of the electrical mumbo-jumbo will be able to better understand what we can expect when plugged in.

Definitely nice to see this happening!!

FullSizeRender 2-1.jpg
FullSizeRender 3-1.jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 237
  • FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    888.4 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
60 kW... not too shabby. Of course, that's shared between 2 cables, so you might only get 30 kW with both humming along. Either way, if you stop in for a 20 minute coffee, you could end up with 30-60 miles of range added.

This unit will probably peak out at 45kW (DC 120A max per label) with a Model S and a CHAdeMO adapter, which is required. Only one connector, CHAdeMO or SAE Combo can be used at once, AFAIK. This type of Efacec unit is also rumored to have been selected by VW/BMW for their "CCS Highway" project along the east and west coasts.

I didn't see any type of "Clean Charge Network" branding, but I am assuming that this new fast charger is a part of the network that KCP&L announced this week. This one is located at the Starbuck's at 119th Street in Olathe next to Bass Pro and is equipped with two cables. It doesn't appear to be turned on just yet, but here are a couple of photos that I snapped. I'm sure someone with a better understanding of the electrical mumbo-jumbo will be able to better understand what we can expect when plugged in.

Definitely nice to see this happening!!

Here is the spec sheet on that CHAdeMO charger: http://www.efacec.pt/PresentationLayer/ResourcesUser/Catalogos%202012/Mobilidade%20Electrica/SA68I1102B1_QC50_EN.pdf

It is limited to 120 Amps meaning that with the CHAdeMO adapter that is starting to ship in Europe and has shipped in Japan, one could expect about 43-44 kW on an 85 and 38-39 kW on a 60. 125-145 mph charging is more than twice as fast as an 80A HPWC, but it is still not a Supercharger.

0% to 80% charge in an 85 will probably take about 1:40 vs 0:40 on a Supercharger, and over 3:30 on an HPWC.

More charging options are always good!

What I like most about the details is that they specifically plan to have multiple chargers per site.

It seems like at least some people are learning lessons.

But if they're asking to raise bills by $1 to $2 to make residents pay, I'm not sure they're _that_ convinced it'll work. :p