Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize that I'm not about to supply any additional helpful and relevant information...but all I can say is "awesome"!:smile:

Let me add to the disappointment and lack of information by saying, yes, it is. Mobile's a key connection point for both Atlanta and Florida. Looks like 60kWh owners want some gaps filling though. And something's needed east of Houston.

3201 Airport Blvd, Mobile, AL 36606

5 miles north off I-10

Permit can be seen here: http://permits.ci.mobile.al.us/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusHitList (Put "Tesla" in the Business field).

Superchargers

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to Friman, who report this via [email protected]
Looks to me like 3.7 miles north of I-10 on I-65, not quite as bad as 5 miles but it's still a 7 1/2 mile detour round trip when traveling I-10. The address is Bel Air mall, which from the reviews looks like a tired old mall. I'd never look a gift horse (or a supercharger) in the mouth but it's a shame that either a more convenient location or more desirable place to stop wasn't available in Mobile.

Here is one Yelp review:
I hate to say it, but this is the ghetto mall now. I tried going to this mall three times this year and each time something horrible has happened because of how ghetto it is.

The first time I got stared down and glared at because I was the only white person there. The second time a random man came up to me and said I must be a bad girl because my husband hadn't bought me anything yet so I should behave like a good girl if I wanted anything. The third time I was inside waiting for a pizza I had ordered to finish cooking. I brought out my iPhone to check the time to see how much longer it would be when someone tried to steal it out of my hands.

Obviously, I will not be coming back.

And another:
Completely ghetto. I guess that need that many cops there to make you think you are safer than you probably are. I would never let my wife and kids go there after dark.

This doesn't sound like a great place to park a Tesla.

Last edited:
It's great to see this progress -- without a stop in Slidell, this will be a longer charging session coming from Baton Rouge. It'll be good to have the option of some diagonal mileage going up to Michigan from Houston, though. Pretty generic urban mall -- not bad, but always good to keep an eye on your surroundings in any event.

As for the "ghetto" comments on yelp -- good grief.

Bel Air and Springdale (across the street) are the only two malls in Mobile if I remember correctly. The area right at the I10-I65 junction is pretty poor as far as SC locations unless things have changed in the last year or two. If you place it downtown then it would be far from I65. I wouldn't place it farther north on I65. Heading west on I10 would mean Tillman's Corner. Bel Air is a better choice. Overall, I can't think of a better choice.

Looks to me like 3.7 miles north of I-10 on I-65, not quite as bad as 5 miles but it's still a 7 1/2 mile detour round trip when traveling I-10. The address is Bel Air mall, which from the reviews looks like a tired old mall. I'd never look a gift horse (or a supercharger) in the mouth but it's a shame that either a more convenient location or more desirable place to stop wasn't available in Mobile.

Here is one Yelp review:
I hate to say it, but this is the ghetto mall now. I tried going to this mall three times this year and each time something horrible has happened because of how ghetto it is.

The first time I got stared down and glared at because I was the only white person there. The second time a random man came up to me and said I must be a bad girl because my husband hadn't bought me anything yet so I should behave like a good girl if I wanted anything. The third time I was inside waiting for a pizza I had ordered to finish cooking. I brought out my iPhone to check the time to see how much longer it would be when someone tried to steal it out of my hands.

Obviously, I will not be coming back.

And another:
Completely ghetto. I guess that need that many cops there to make you think you are safer than you probably are. I would never let my wife and kids go there after dark.

This doesn't sound like a great place to park a Tesla.

Looks like the mall just got purchased.

New York firm completes $135 million purchase of Mobile's Bel Air Mall, enters Alabama market | AL.com

Rouse Properties Inc. completed formally its purchase of Mobile's Bel Air Mall for $135.2 million Thursday.

Andrew Silberfein, president and chief executive officer of New York City-based real estate investment trust, called the 1.3 million-square-foot Bel Air Mall a "perfect fit with our growing portfolio of dominant 'only-game-in-town' regional malls." The price excludes transaction costs and closing adjustments.

"As the only enclosed mall within 60 miles, Bel Air enjoys a protected competitive position along with an excellent roster of over 110 vibrant retailers," Silberfein said in a press release.

"As we apply our platform to this asset going forward, we believe there are substantial opportunities to create value through targeted improvements to the asset and to the retailer merchandising mix," he said.

To date, Rouse Properties has acquired mall properties valued at more than $650 million, thereby, boosting the company's portfolio by 30 percent while creating a robust pipeline for future acquisitions, Silberfein said.

According to Rouse Properties marketing materials, Bel Air Mall – anchored by Belk, Dillard's, Target, jcpenney and Sears and featuring specialty retailers such as Victoria's Secret, Francesca's, Forever 21, Bath & Body Works, Buckle, Charlotte Russe and Foot Locker – is 90 percent leased with average inline sales of $340 per square foot.

The mall was acquired in an off-market transaction from a private partnership managed by Gregory Greenfield & Associates. As partial funding for its investment, Rouse assumed an existing $112.5 million non-recourse loan, with a 5.30 percent interest rate and a December 2015 maturity date.

Rouse Properties' portfolio includes 35 malls in 22 states encompassing about 25 million square feet.

No, Slidell is still missing, and as we have noted many times there is a gap east of Houston that needs to be filled. Maybe by the time you get your Tesla?

Don't forget Tallahassee, FL as well.

At least Slidell and Tallahassee seem to be on the Tesla maps. The Supercharger planners have been doing so well lately. It's too bad there is nothing showing for a location near Baytown, TX; it's just too far across Houston with the current locations shown.

I'm a little surprised to read three people in succession agree that it's too far across Houston. Looking at BlueShift's map and checking EVTripPlanner, either Huntsville or Columbus to Lake Charles can be done with the 85. Sure, another SC would allow you to set the AC at 62 or heat at 85 and drive at 90mph; but I'd definitely drive between two superchargers at 213 miles. My point is you're not SC trapped in Texas anymore.
Admittedly, it's probably not safe to go slow enough to drive it in a 60.

I'm a little surprised to read three people in succession agree that it's too far across Houston. Looking at BlueShift's map and checking EVTripPlanner, either Huntsville or Columbus to Lake Charles can be done with the 85. Sure, another SC would allow you to set the AC at 62 or heat at 85 and drive at 90mph; but I'd definitely drive between two superchargers at 213 miles. My point is you're not SC trapped in Texas anymore.

Yes, 214 miles is "Hypermile-doable" in an 85. I have done that distance and more, many times in my 85. However, 214 miles is just too far between Superchargers for normal driving. That distance presents many problems:

1. 99-100% charging on a Supercharger takes "forever." "Forever is, of course, a relative term.
  2. It's just too far for 60's.
  3. There is no margin in case of problems, wind, weather, traffic, etc.
  4. Most people don't buy a Model S to hypermile.
  5. Many consider driving 60-65 on a highway where many are driving 80-85 dangerous.
  6. ...

Here is my simple, conservative calculation for using 133 miles as maximum distance between Superchargers:

• 85's can be charged quickly to 200 rated miles, and 60's can be charged to 200 rated miles.
  • In all but the very worst conditions, 1.5 rated miles per acutal mile provides a good buffer.
  • 200 rated miles/1.5 rated miles per actual mile = 133 actual miles.
  • When there are large elevation differences between Superchargers, reduce that by 6 miles per 1,000 feet difference in elevation to take care of potential energy needs. This is not an issue between Columbus and Lake Charles. :smile:

I expect I-10 between Texas & Florida to be a high density route, so it's one where you'd want to make sure 60s could complete it. That's what makes the missing Baytown Supercharger to be so curious.

On the other hand, if Tesla decided to place I-10 Superchargers between sparsely travelled Waco & San Antonio at a spacing that only an 85 could do, I'd understand, though I wouldn't be happy for 60 owners.

• When there are large elevation differences between Superchargers, reduce that by 6 miles per 1,000 feet difference in elevation to take care of potential energy needs. This is not an issue between Columbus and Lake Charles. :smile:

Here is the largest elevation change between Lake Charles & Columbus:

DSCF2844.JPG

I agree with everything Cottonwood said in response to this. I take it you've never actually driven across I-10 from Columbus to Lake Charles.