Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Reservation #...Anyone interested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I love the Tesla concept. It takes everything I love about buying a car, picking color, features and engine power and puts it on a website so I can sit down and feel totally comfortable about what I'm selecting. It also takes everything I hate about buying a car, the sales people, the half mile test drive experience, and having to pick from what the dealer has left in stock, and they eliminated it completely. Unfortunately, the Tesla X did not come around early enough for me as I recently was forced into buying a new SUV for my family due to the breakdown of my last car. I was in a position to make a reservation for the X and had every intention of building and having it delivered as soon as possible. How often do you get the chance to own a literal piece of history?

Let my loss be your gain.

Since it wasn't meant to be for me, someone could have the chance to get their Model X a little sooner should they choose to customize and accept delivery from me. While Tesla does not offer the ability to transfer reservation numbers to others, I'd simply treat this reservation number as buying a "used" car. But in this case, you get to build your own "used" car and have it delivered to you, brand new. What you're paying for is the opportunity to get that car delivered earlier than if you were to make a reservation right now.

Now, is my reservation number 200? No. We'll just say it is close to 11,000 (a little under actually). Now, at last count, the number is up to over 15,000 and the Tesla website has predicted that current reservations could expect delivery in early 2016. However, keep in mind that I was told early 2015 for my reservation last year when I reserved and I'm still waiting on the call.

Figuring out the value for this number is obviously not a science. It may be worth nothing and I just simply get my money back from Tesla. We don't know much about the car yet, except that it will be a Tesla and it should be awesome. That said, I'm willing to let people see what it's all about and then make their decision.

Feel free to contact me via PM should you have interest in this and we'll go from there. I'm not a huckster, even though some on here may look down on what I'm doing, seeing it as line jumping or something like that. Everything I do in this transaction will be at the discretion of the end purchaser (you) and I guess if you end up screwing me and I end up having to have the car delivered to me then I'll have an awesome car to drive while I look for a buyer.

Thanks for looking, and here's to hoping the Model X is as sweet as it's been made out to be!!!

This has been proposed many times (esp back in 2012 with Model S) but I don't know of a single example where it worked. It makes no sense for a buyer to give up the $7,500 tax credit that you can claim and there's potentially two lots of State taxes to be paid (assuming you have a sales tax in Nebraska and wherever the buyer comes from) plus shipping costs etc and whatever premium you might want for your reservation number. There's not going to be a big difference in delivery between cars #11,000 and #16,000 anyway, it could well be as little as 4-5 weeks.

Good luck, but you're probably better off just requesting your deposit back.

Free advice: keep your X reservation. When the time comes, sell your "new" SUV - which, in fact, is just a ridiculous cobbling together of several different 19th century technologies that wastes 85% of its fuel as unused heat. Drive the future, your family will thank you everyday

You were forced into buying a new SUV? If my family car died right now I'd buy something cheap 'n' cheerful to tide us over until the X was ready, or I'd look to take over a short term lease. Your call though. Sorry to hear you won't be getting your X. And if you do give up your reservation, I guess I'm one closer to the front of the line ;)

This has been proposed many times (esp back in 2012 with Model S) but I don't know of a single example where it worked. It makes no sense for a buyer to give up the $7,500 tax credit that you can claim and there's potentially two lots of State taxes to be paid (assuming you have a sales tax in Nebraska and wherever the buyer comes from) plus shipping costs etc and whatever premium you might want for your reservation number. There's not going to be a big difference in delivery between cars #11,000 and #16,000 anyway, it could well be as little as 4-5 weeks.

Good luck, but you're probably better off just requesting your deposit back.

Not only that, early on in production it matters more what your configuration is than what your number is, so I would estimate the difference anything from 1-9 weeks.

I agree with Nigel, even if you had a low number, this would be a hard sell. This isn't a low number.

Wow, lots of feedback on people telling me they don't want or that I shouldn't or can't market my reservation. Never solicited these comments. Let's keep this to the people who ARE interested. Like I said, I don't know the value of this, and it may be $0. What I do know is that no one has seen a Model X yet and so it is tough to speak to the value of a place in line.
Thanks

Wow, lots of feedback on people telling me they don't want or that I shouldn't or can't market my reservation. Never solicited these comments. Let's keep this to the people who ARE interested. Like I said, I don't know the value of this, and it may be $0. What I do know is that no one has seen a Model X yet and so it is tough to speak to the value of a place in line.
Thanks

Unfortunately, you've posted on a forum where everyone is free to express their opinion (and do so, freely!). :) Perhaps if you want to limit the feedback, you could try something like eBay or another service where it's not wide open for comments.

Here? You're going to have to live with it.

Wow, lots of feedback on people telling me they don't want or that I shouldn't or can't market my reservation. Never solicited these comments. Let's keep this to the people who ARE interested.

Umm, I don't see lots of people telling you that; a few of us were helpfully pointing out that it's never happened before due to the tax credits and taxes payable. Worth noting that you posted this on a discussion forum...when you do that there tends to be discussion.....

Thanks
I think you answered your own question. It's impossible to generate interest in a relatively late reservation spot because no one knows:

1. anything more about the Model X besides what the concept looked like.
2. how much longer it will take to get to reservation 15,500 than 11,000.
3. how long the reservation line will be once the Model X does ship.

I suggest if you are serious about selling your spot you check back once they are close to calling your number to configure. Only then will you truly be able to value the opportunity and possibly find someone interested in the position. If you need money today, cancel your reservation and take the refund.

By the time they get to serial number 11000, the production rate is likely to be over 1000/month. I'd be surprised if anyone is willing to pay a premium to gain a couple of months, while at the same time exchanging their guaranteed place in line for a (shall we say) "unconventional" transaction where they are not the original owner.

Sorry if my opinion is unwelcome. But I think everyone is just trying to help you avoid wasting your time and suggesting it will be more profitable to have your reservation deposit returned asap.

Regards.

For what it's worth, I used a friend's earlier order/sequence # for my first model S. It mattered not, as the order was delayed because of the red paint and then the 3rd row fiasco. My original sequence number would have been produced before I took delivery using my friend's.

He didn't sell it to me, he just gave it to me because he wasn't ready to order and I was. I reimbursed him for the 5k deposit.

He gave me his account login information. I then updated the info to reflect mine, and changed the email address. When the paperwork came for titling etc it was all my info. It's possible Tesla has made this more difficult now. I'm only sharing this to say there is at least one datapoint of this working.

. He didn't sell it to me, he just gave it to me because he wasn't ready to order and I was. I reimbursed him for the 5k deposit.

To be fair (or call it pedantic if anyone prefers) that not an example of a reservation sale working. In your case it was an example of trust between friends and it sounds like you were in the same State etc. so avoiding double taxes.

To be fair (or call it pedantic if anyone prefers) that not an example of a reservation sale working. In your case it was an example of trust between friends and it sounds like you were in the same State etc. so avoiding double taxes.

There were no tax issues, not because we were in the same state, but because he never took possession. All of the paperwork including the sales agreement was in my name. The first title was in my name.