Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi from a new UK member, just ordered a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After having an i8 on order since last September, but constantly having dirty thoughts about the P85D since it was launched, I finally switched camps last week. When I test drove the i8, I really liked it, as it's a lovely GT car. One thing that struck me about it, was how much I enjoyed driving it in electric mode and how it almost seemed a shame when the ICE fired up. The performance between the i8 and the P85+ was pretty similar on paper, so I went for the more dramatic looking car, but as soon as the P85D was launched I was wobbling all over the place! I phoned up and asked when I could have a P85D and was told July, a whole two months longer than the considerable length of time that I was waiting for the i8, so talked myself into sticking with the BMW. Those niggling thoughts didn't go away though, so I rang last week to ask if what month I could expect delivery of a P85D if I ordered one and was told June. At that point I knew I had to swap. There was no way it wasn't worth waiting one more month for the car I knew I really wanted, so I did what most people probably do and spent a few hours building my perfect car, then ordered it. Then I did what most other people no doubt do and spent a few more hours on the Design Studio part of the website, changing certain things because I'd had a chance to read up, talk to other owners and think about them. I've had a lot of different cars, hot hatches, sports cars, luxury saloons and SUVs and currently have a 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE, a 1998 Mercedes CL 600, a 2008 Mercedes ML 500 and a TVR Chimaera 500. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever been as excited about getting my hands on a car as I am about this one and yet I haven't even driven a Tesla. Anyway, I thought I'd just say hello, this looks like a great forum and I'm sure I'll be spending many an hour acquainting myself with all of the useful information it holds. My spec is as follows:
YOUR MODEL S PERFORMANCE
21" Silver Turbine Wheels
85 kWh Performance Model S
All Glass Panoramic Roof
Black Alcantara Headliner
Black Next Generation Seats
Blue Metallic Paint
Carbon Fibre Spoiler
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive
Executive Rear Seats
Piano Black Décor
Premium Interior Package
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package with Autopilot
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Type 2 to Type 2 Connector
Ultra High Fidelity Sound

Nice spec! You may be the first in the UK to have the exec seats. I missed Autopilot and the D announcement by about 4 months. Loving my P85 but (shhh, don't tell anyone) having moments when I suddenly find myself on the design studio with a fully spec'd P85D onscreen and the mouse hovering over the order button...

Hi

I'm interested in a model S and I'm based in the UK. Looking to chop in my A5. I know you haven't got the car yet but I'm interested in the ordering process.

Have you just ordered so delivery lead time is seven months?
is there a way of test driving over the weekend?
What dealer did you use? My closest is either Shepards Bush or Birmingham.

Cheers

slippery,

I just want to make sure you set your expectations appropriately. The delivery date is very squishy...it gets moved around sometimes, especially when there is a ship involved.

It is a great decision nonetheless.

I, too, feel the gasoline depression when my Volt engine fires up....so sad. Very much looking forward to my 85D next month!

Thanks for the welcome. :) The best thing about the congestion charge exemption, will be not having to try to remember I have to pay it! As for the spec, yes, it's going to be a very well specced car. Once you get on that Design Studio section of the website, it's so hard not to tick every box, as this really does seem like a special car. I appreciate the delivery period could obviously flex a bit, that's pretty normal from my own previous experience with other manufacturers, but I'm happy to wait. I confirmed the spec today and the screen told me Late June. I built the car I wanted on the website and then telephoned the Birmingham dealership and spoke to Adrian Bland, who was a lovely guy and really helpful. I told him I was considering switching from the i8. He answered my questions and sent me a follow up email, so I called him back the next day and gave him the order. Compared to BMW and Land Rover, the experience so far has been like a breath of fresh air. I get to Birmingham every few weeks at the moment, so perhaps I will pop in and meet Adrian and have a drive of a Model S. I'm pretty tempted to just leave it until my own car arrives though to be honest.

Thanks for the welcome. :) The best thing about the congestion charge exemption, will be not having to try to remember I have to pay it! As for the spec, yes, it's going to be a very well specced car. Once you get on that Design Studio section of the website, it's so hard not to tick every box, as this really does seem like a special car. I appreciate the delivery period could obviously flex a bit, that's pretty normal from my own previous experience with other manufacturers, but I'm happy to wait. I confirmed the spec today and the screen told me Late June. I built the car I wanted on the website and then telephoned the Birmingham dealership and spoke to Adrian Bland, who was a lovely guy and really helpful. I told him I was considering switching from the i8. He answered my questions and sent me a follow up email, so I called him back the next day and gave him the order. Compared to BMW and Land Rover, the experience so far has been like a breath of fresh air. I get to Birmingham every few weeks at the moment, so perhaps I will pop in and meet Adrian and have a drive of a Model S. I'm pretty tempted to just leave it until my own car arrives though to be honest.

Great I might give Adrian a call. Cheers for the info.

If I can make the sums work I will put up a similar post :). Shame about the increase in company car tax in the next few years.

Hi

I'm interested in a model S and I'm based in the UK. Looking to chop in my A5. I know you haven't got the car yet but I'm interested in the ordering process.

Have you just ordered so delivery lead time is seven months?
is there a way of test driving over the weekend?
What dealer did you use? My closest is either Shepards Bush or Birmingham.

Cheers

Ordering is via the web site, delivery dates differ per model and the D currently has the longest. for the ones who ordered P85D's back in late Oct we are having a Late May delivery showing now.

If your interested in a second hand S there will be a bunch of low mileage, sub one year old cars becoming available in "late may" :)

Test drive via any of the Tesla stores .. walk in and ask or at weekends when they are busy, call them first

Hi Slippery! Congrats on ordering your P85D! Now the wait begins and time slows down.

BTW, noticed you ordered the Executive Rear Seats. Are you aware that those particular seats do NOT fold down and are firmly placed in a permanent position?
I found that out from my local sales rep as I was very interested in them as well for my build. However, upon learning that they are fixed in place, well
that took some cargo capacity away from the P85D should I ever need it (unlikely but possible). Also, the seat surround may have an effect on the rear subwoofer in the premium sound package. Not 100% sure about what than will mean for sound quality... please investigate that.

I hope I did not scare you with that information.

Again best wishes with the P85D.
I have driven the P85D twice and it is a great performer.
And by all means, visit that Birmingham Tesla sales office a lot, get to know the folks and take as many test drives as possible.
It will make the time go faster I suspect.

Cheers, Art

Last edited:
I've been driving around London.....Red 85. Great spec on the new car and I now believe my CFO has Tesla envy and if I can structure this right CFO will take mine (2 weeks old) and I'm going to pull the pin on a D. Rank has it's advantages....Gary

After having an i8 on order since last September, but constantly having dirty thoughts about the P85D since it was launched, I finally switched camps last week. When I test drove the i8, I really liked it, as it's a lovely GT car. One thing that struck me about it, was how much I enjoyed driving it in electric mode and how it almost seemed a shame when the ICE fired up. The performance between the i8 and the P85+ was pretty similar on paper, so I went for the more dramatic looking car, but as soon as the P85D was launched I was wobbling all over the place! I phoned up and asked when I could have a P85D and was told July, a whole two months longer than the considerable length of time that I was waiting for the i8, so talked myself into sticking with the BMW. Those niggling thoughts didn't go away though, so I rang last week to ask if what month I could expect delivery of a P85D if I ordered one and was told June. At that point I knew I had to swap. There was no way it wasn't worth waiting one more month for the car I knew I really wanted, so I did what most people probably do and spent a few hours building my perfect car, then ordered it. Then I did what most other people no doubt do and spent a few more hours on the Design Studio part of the website, changing certain things because I'd had a chance to read up, talk to other owners and think about them. I've had a lot of different cars, hot hatches, sports cars, luxury saloons and SUVs and currently have a 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE, a 1998 Mercedes CL 600, a 2008 Mercedes ML 500 and a TVR Chimaera 500. I can honestly say I don't think I've ever been as excited about getting my hands on a car as I am about this one and yet I haven't even driven a Tesla. Anyway, I thought I'd just say hello, this looks like a great forum and I'm sure I'll be spending many an hour acquainting myself with all of the useful information it holds. My spec is as follows:
YOUR MODEL S PERFORMANCE21" Silver Turbine Wheels
85 kWh Performance Model S
All Glass Panoramic Roof
Black Alcantara Headliner
Black Next Generation Seats
Blue Metallic Paint
Carbon Fibre Spoiler
Dual Motor All Wheel Drive
Executive Rear Seats
Piano Black Décor
Premium Interior Package
Smart Air Suspension
Subzero Weather Package
Supercharger Enabled
Tech Package with Autopilot
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Type 2 to Type 2 Connector
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Congrats on your order. Good things come to those who wait.