Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to stop auto present handles when pushing the park button?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear fellow Tesla drivers or fans,

Does anyone know whether there is a way to stop the auto present handles when pushing on the park button?
It's quiet annoying, especially when you are driving trough a tough neighbourhood and the handles presents themselves + the lights goes on.
It's almost asking "please carjack me".

Thanks in advance!

Chan

Not that I know of.
If you're not getting out of the car, you can use the screen to set the parking brake. This is essentially the same as Park, but the display changes from D (or R) to N instead of P. Handles won't present and the dome lights won't turn on. I'm pretty sure if the car is not locked, the handles will present if pressed in this condition.

I recently read a post that indicated you can lock the car from the screen inside, then get out and the car is still locked. On trying this, I noticed the handles did not present when I opened the door. This seemed quite odd to have the door open with the handles retracted. However I was in Park before I used the screen to lock. I tried locking the car from the screen then placing it from Drive to Park, and the handles presented. (I was on 6.0 at the time.)

You can set the dome to Off on the screen (usually in Auto) if you don't want the interior lights to come on, this always works.

when you are driving trough a tough neighbourhood and the handles presents themselves + the lights goes on.
If you're driving through, you wouldn't be in park, no?

Brass basically covered it. Under normal operation, when you hit park the car unlocks and presents the door handles. You can get around this by using Neutral and the Parking Brake, but you'll eventually need to put it in Park when leaving the car.

Does anyone know whether there is a way to stop the auto present handles when pushing on the park button?
It's quiet annoying, especially when you are driving trough a tough neighbourhood and the handles presents themselves + the lights goes on.
It's almost asking "please carjack me".

Why would you want to put the car in park if you're driving through such a neighborhood?

thx for all of your replies guys!

I have the habit to pull my handbrake when I'm on a steep hill in front of a red light.
Now there is a no handbrake so instead I push the button... but idd, next time I'll try to work around it by pushing the screen.

The Model S has hill assist so it automatically engages the brakes when on a hill. I believe they release after about 5 seconds or when you push the accelerator. So, just keep you foot on the brake when on a hill and when you're ready to go, just let-off of the brake and you have plenty of time to switch your foot to the accelerator before the hill assist disengages.

The Model S has hill assist so it automatically engages the brakes when on a hill. I believe they release after about 5 seconds or when you push the accelerator. So, just keep you foot on the brake when on a hill and when you're ready to go, just let-off of the brake and you have plenty of time to switch your foot to the accelerator before the hill assist disengages.

YES... this exactly. For those of us who have had the car longer, Tesla pretty took your process of using the handbrake and programmed it into the car to happen everytime.

I have had this idea for a long time now - to use the (mechanical) park button push as a lock/unlock toggle switch when the car is in park. The button currently becomes useless once the car goes to park, having to go to the touch screen to lock/unlock is not as convenience as reaching the park button.

If only the idea could reach Elon's ears. If he likes it, I am sure it can be out in the next release :D

I have had this idea for a long time now - to use the (mechanical) park button push as a lock/unlock toggle switch when the car is in park. The button currently becomes useless once the car goes to park, having to go to the touch screen to lock/unlock is not as convenience as reaching the park button.

If only the idea could reach Elon's ears. If he likes it, I am sure it can be out in the next release :D

Iffatall...outstanding idea. I hope you've formally submitted it to them!

Ooo I like this idea. As a paranoid parrot type and someone who has had a creeper try to get into my old car 2 seconds after I parked it, having some way to lock the car INSTANTLY and not go through the touchscreen menus would be a godsend (elonsend in this case?)

Didn't know that (or maybe I just forgot). Thanks. BTW, what's a hill? :biggrin:

The hill assist only holds the brakes for 1 or 2 seconds, then lets go. That doesn't help at all when you are standing on a red light and have to keep your foot on the brake to make sure the car isn't rolling. VW has a very nice and convenient 'auto hold' feature that is much better than hill assist. When you slow down the car and come to a stop, it will hold the brakes for you once the car comes to a full stop. And it will release it again as soon as you hit the accelerator. It works all the time and 100%. It makes driving in a city so much nicer. You don't have to always keep the foot on the brake. It took me a little to get used to it and trust it, but then I just loved it and used it all the time. Of course it was an option that can be turned off. I believe the BMW i3 does it the same way.

Iffatall...outstanding idea. I hope you've formally submitted it to them!

Ooo I like this idea. As a paranoid parrot type and someone who has had a creeper try to get into my old car 2 seconds after I parked it, having some way to lock the car INSTANTLY and not go through the touchscreen menus would be a godsend (elonsend in this case?)

+1.......I love that idea.

I did post it at least once in the general wishlist thread: Model S Software/Firmware wishlist - Page 67
Don't remember getting much response from others, so I thought may be I am the only one.

Never tried to officially email Tesla about it. I will do it now. Perhaps you guys can do the same - the more the better I guess.

The hill assist only holds the brakes for 1 or 2 seconds, then lets go. That doesn't help at all when you are standing on a red light and have to keep your foot on the brake to make sure the car isn't rolling.

Hill assist is not intended to keep you from using the brake, it is there to ensure you don't roll back during the time it takes you to release the brake and apply the accelerator. That's how the feature is intended to work. It's not there to hold you on the hill without you needing to apply the brakes.

great idea! eventually the car locks up after you hit park, and to let people in, having to go to the controls and unlock takes a while... Just hitting the park button again on the stalk to toggle back to unlock, brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

perhaps you can add it here:
http://teslatap.com/questions/

Hill assist is not intended to keep you from using the brake, it is there to ensure you don't roll back during the time it takes you to release the brake and apply the accelerator. That's how the feature is intended to work. It's not there to hold you on the hill without you needing to apply the brakes.

Yes it is a limited feature to do one little thing. The auto-hold feature I had in the VW Passat does everything that hill assist does plus it keeps the car from rolling at a red light or anywhere else. What you are saying is like the accelerator pedal is designed to accelerate the car, it's not there to slow it down. :)

The hill assist only holds the brakes for 1 or 2 seconds, then lets go. That doesn't help at all when you are standing on a red light and have to keep your foot on the brake to make sure the car isn't rolling. VW has a very nice and convenient 'auto hold' feature that is much better than hill assist. When you slow down the car and come to a stop, it will hold the brakes for you once the car comes to a full stop. And it will release it again as soon as you hit the accelerator. It works all the time and 100%. It makes driving in a city so much nicer. You don't have to always keep the foot on the brake. It took me a little to get used to it and trust it, but then I just loved it and used it all the time. Of course it was an option that can be turned off. I believe the BMW i3 does it the same way.
i also wish there was a way to put in park without presenting the handles. I frequently am at a long red light on a less than level surface and don't want to hold the brake with my foot for 5 minutes, but also don't want to put it in park because the handles present. I end up using the E brake but that's not as convenient as the park button.

Also, the idea to use the park button as a lock unlock is brilliant.