Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think of roof rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this Tesla with a roof rack and like to know is this roof rack from Tesla and is it safe for the full glass top?

2014-12-13 14.11.47L.jpg

I have the roof rack on my car. My only complaint with the whole system is that the rubber boots mar the paint a little. I'm cutting some bigger 3m film patches to go under the full boot. The kit comes with a couple strips but they don't work well.

I have used a roof rack on my vehicles for years(mostly to haul bikes and sometimes kayaks or canoes).

I have an S85D on order and I plan to install an eco hitch and plan to use hitch mounted racks or a mini-trailer to do the job.
Hauling things on your roof is really bad for aerodynamics and will reduce your range when going highways speeds.

I have used a roof rack on my vehicles for years(mostly to haul bikes and sometimes kayaks or canoes).

I have an S85D on order and I plan to install an eco hitch and plan to use hitch mounted racks or a mini-trailer to do the job.
Hauling things on your roof is really bad for aerodynamics and will reduce your range when going highways speeds.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? Some interesting findings in this review, though: Tesla Model S Roof Rack System (Whispbar) Review - TESLARATI.com "We concluded that the 1.26% increase in energy over the vehicle’s lifetime average is negligible and therefore it’s inconclusive that the change is a result of wind drag from the Tesla Model S roof rack system."

It's not a controlled test, but still interesting. But, they didn't test the system with a load, just the bare rack. Most interesting would be testing a loaded rack against a loaded rear-mounted system such as you're considering, and one suspects that would have shown a greater difference -- although a rear-mounted rack will still significantly mess with your aerodynamics.

I for one would be interested to hear how your eco hitch installation goes.

Model X is apparently going to have some kind of rack to mount behind the car. Instead of sticking up into the air, hiding behind it. Would likely still increase drag, but a lot less than a top mounted traffic load.