Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "No Parking" signs at Glen Allen, VA supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
I didn't see this noted elsewhere, but in the past 5 days new signs were added to the stalls in Glen Allen. They weren't there on Tuesday.

Official "No Parking Except Electric Vehicle Charging" on all 8 stalls.

2015-01-25 15.52.51.jpg

2015-01-25 15.53.15.jpg

I'm hoping this is the beginning of a trend...

Do we know whether these signs were installed by Tesla or an EV owner?

I personally don't know, but I doubt an EV owner would do so. Not here at least. I've seen a couple of stalls here ICEd, but I've also never seen more than 4 Model S here at the same time either. So doubt any EV owner was mad enough to spend time, money, and effort illegally placing these signs.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, Newark, DE has only 4 stalls that are frequently ICEd. (Two were when I passed through today...) These stalls have had the no parking signs for a while but some people don't seem to care. However, it would likely be a bigger issue if the no parking symbol wasn't there. Would be good if they were bigger signs, like these, in Newark, DE, though. I think the solution for Newark would be to add 4 stalls to the northbound side of the complex.

Before I bought my car, I used to troll this supercharger to get a look at one. It is completely empty more often than not and I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 cars there. I seriously doubt any locals put up the signs -- it really isn't even in a section of the parking lot that attracts anyone to park there.

This should put this up in Bethesda. I dropped by last week and their were 5 Teslas parked there - everyone of them was done charging - but hadn't moved their cars. I really didn't need a charge so it was no big deal, but i was stunned the five cars would all park there and no move their cars after completing their charge cycle...

This should put this up in Bethesda. I dropped by last week and their were 5 Teslas parked there - everyone of them was done charging - but hadn't moved their cars. I really didn't need a charge so it was no big deal, but i was stunned the five cars would all park there and no move their cars after completing their charge cycle...

Very likely demo cars from the store, I'd guess.

I like the No Parking Signs, but I'm confused about the Red Tesla signs in the picture. Doesn't "General Parking" mean that ICEing is authorized? I would have expected to see the "No Parking Except for EV Charging" type signs under the Tesla ones that say, "Electric Vehicle Parking."
This is the one thing that really raises the question of who put the signs up. The whole purpose of the "General Parking" or time-limited spots is a compromise to the landlords to not take over their parking spots full-time. If it's the landlord putting up the signs, then they should all be signed as "Electric Vehicle Parking". Otherwise, only the full-time spots should have the No Parking signs.

The continued saga of parking and SpCs and charging and....

...my take on this is that TM made a strategic mistake at the beginning, although it is not too late to correct. ALL the signs should use only the word "charging" rather than having any mention of "parking". That would create, reinforce, imbue into all - not just Tesla owners and not just ICE drivers - that these slots really and truly are analogous to fuel station spots: they are NOT meant as parking sites.

Thus, we would have signs like "30 Minute Charging Only", "General Charging Only", "Tesla Charging Only" and so forth. AND...would probably (am sure this depends on locality-by-locality ordinances, though) avoid the need for TM to relegate some of those valuable 6 or 8 or so slots to handicap only - as, again, these are not parking spaces.

How could you tell they were all done charging?