Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where should I charge to get my car home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

looking at bringing my car home from Lawrence SC on Wednesday afternoon. I think I should be able to get to Belleville (175km) ok, and then I need to charg to make it home (20km North of Kingston). Anyone have good spots around Belleville/Trenton to charge up? (60, single charger)

Also, am I correct that I should top up at Lawrence with range mode off and climate on, and then turn range mode on when I start driving?

Thanks!

If you haven't already join Plugshare. There is a Tesla Model S owner a little bit north of Brighton - maybe he is willing to let you use his HPWC (assuming he has one)? The only listings in Belleville appear to be 120V. There is a J1772 at Shannon Motorsports park, but I wonder if it is accessible/powered/open at this time of year. Hopefully some of the Ottawa crowd will chime in as they must have a way to get to T.O.

The Best Western in Cobourg has what is listed as a Sun Country 70A charger(a month ago a Model S user said he got 202V/68A) so you might want to call them ahead of time and see if they will let you use it if you eat a meal there or something like that.

If you haven't already join Plugshare. There is a Tesla Model S owner a little bit north of Brighton - maybe he is willing to let you use his HPWC (assuming he has one)? The only listings in Belleville appear to be 120V. There is a J1772 at Shannon Motorsports park, but I wonder if it is accessible/powered/open at this time of year. Hopefully some of the Ottawa crowd will chime in as they must have a way to get to T.O.

The Best Western in Cobourg has what is listed as a Sun Country 70A charger(a month ago a Model S user said he got 202V/68A) so you might want to call them ahead of time and see if they will let you use it if you eat a meal there or something like that.

Thanks! I did contact him and he is more than willing to let me charge if I am unsuccessful at the Best Western in Cobourg.

Hi guys,

looking at bringing my car home from Lawrence SC on Wednesday afternoon. I think I should be able to get to Belleville (175km) ok, and then I need to charg to make it home (20km North of Kingston). Anyone have good spots around Belleville/Trenton to charge up? (60, single charger)

Also, am I correct that I should top up at Lawrence with range mode off and climate on, and then turn range mode on when I start driving?

Thanks!

It could be possible to drive all the way to Kingston given the weather forecast (-7C to -1C) if the car/battery is well preheated and range charged when driving at 90km/h. I normally set the heater at 18C and leave it as auto (range mode "off" since it is useless if the battery is already heated).
I personally would do it, but I'm not sure about your case since it will be your first road trip. :)

Based on my experience yesterday from Ottawa to Montreal, driving @ 120km/h should give you 86% of the rated range. 100km/h was at the rated line (100%). It was -2°C and my heating setting was @ 18°C. (range mode = off)

If you want to stop enroute to charge, it doesn't really matter where you stop as long as it's some distance from Toronto. 6 kW chargers are going to provide full power right up to something like 98% full.

So: consult plugshare. I personally have used the charger at the Iroquois Sports Centre in Whitby, which is very close to the GO Station in Whitby, which also has a charger. These are Chargepoint chargers, so you'll either need a card or you should be able to just scan your credit card. Charging is free. The GO Station charges $2.50 for parking.

I know that Whitby is only 40 km away, but if you're that worried about making it to Kingston then, as I say, it doesn't really matter where you stop. You could charge for an hour at Whitby and get less than 40 km back. i.e. it would take more than an hour to get back to full. 6 kW chargers are

S

L

O

W

Every time I stopped at the Cobourg BW, except once, it was always ICED by the local Utility company so I couldn't even stay there overnight. Why would I?
The owner wasn't willing to ask the offender to move so be careful there as it is not an EV friendly hotel. Sun Country knows about it but what can they do anyway now that it is installed?

Wow, this is very disappointing to hear...I have charged there many times...always either stayed for a meal (party of 2 or 4), or stayed overnight, with never an issue...I wonder why both (a) the local utility company would be so obtuse to park their ICE vehicle in the EV charging spot, and (b), why the administration of the hotel refused to ask them to move?

Every time I stopped at the Cobourg BW, except once, it was always ICED by the local Utility company so I couldn't even stay there overnight. Why would I?
The owner wasn't willing to ask the offender to move so be careful there as it is not an EV friendly hotel. Sun Country knows about it but what can they do anyway now that it is installed?