Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cables with built-in electronics to open chargeport and disconnect cable.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear enthousiasts,

As a big Tesla Model S fan and a practical minded human being, I have developed a very nice solution for Tesla model S and future Model X charging cables.

Just as with the Supercharger cables, our cables have an integrated button that opens the chargeport when pushed. Moreover, it will also stop the charging and unlock the charging cable when pushed again. This comes in really handy when walking up to the car in the morning. No need to crawl into the car first to unlock the cable, just push the button, roll up the cable and off I go... Very nice!

In the little movie below you can see the prototype built into the connector of my KEBA charging station. Works like a charm!

Another thing we offer are charging cables for use in France and Spain. As you probably know (and I do by now!), public charging infrastructure in France and Italy mostly use the Type 3C connectors. If you want to charge your vehicle in those areas a Type 2 to Type 3C cable is an absolute necessity.

We offer all these cables with or without the Tesla electonics, and we will provide an electronics kit that you can build into your existing connectors, provided they can be opened of course!

We hope to be able to start delivery of the electronics in the second half of februari 2015, the cables without electronics can already be ordered...

Have Fun!!!

Erwin Raets,
EVChargeKing.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I don't understand this product. I don't need to go into the car and push the unlock charge port button. When using any cable, including public J1772 adapters etc etc, I just walk up to the car and pull out the cable bc when it senses my key fob it automatically unlocks the charge port when I disconnect the cable....

Hello Sir,

I don't know how that works in the US, but we have different charging infrastructure in Europe. We use Type 2 and multi-phase for starters, but I have a hard time understanding that the car would automtically unlock the cable when it senses the key fob... What if charging isn't complete yet, would it stop charging automatically or does it stop charging after you do a mechanical action (like pushing a button to unlock the connector)?

That is something we do not have on our connectors you see. A Type 2 conector has no unlocking button, and thus needs to be unlocked from inside the car...

Attention, these kits only work for European Tesla Model S and Model X as the US versions use another frequency...

Kind regards,
Erwin

Charging cables with built-in electronics to open chargeport and disconnect c...

Hello Sir,

I don't know how that works in the US, but we have different charging infrastructure in Europe. We use Type 2 and multi-phase for starters, but I have a hard time understanding that the car would automtically unlock the cable when it senses the key fob... What if charging isn't complete yet, would it stop charging automatically or does it stop charging after you do a mechanical action (like pushing a button to unlock the connector)?

That is something we do not have on our connectors you see. A Type 2 conector has no unlocking button, and thus needs to be unlocked from inside the car...

Attention, these kits only work for European Tesla Model S and Model X as the US versions use another frequency...

Kind regards,
Erwin

Here with chargepoint stations (J1772) and the Tesla J1772 adapter when you pull off the chargepoint cable (and your car senses your key fob) the pin that locks the J1772 tesla adapter to the port is automatically unlocked and you just pull the adapter out with no need to unlock it manually. If you don't have your keyfob and the car is locked (just as if some stranger tries messing with it) you can still pull the charging cable off in the middle of charging but the adapter will stay pin locked to the vehicle.

Well the cable unlocks if you double click your keyfob (i.e. unlock car manually). I've been using this feature on all Type-II chargers here in Estonia. If the car was still charging, then the manual unlock will stop it and then unlock the port. The last missing feature of opening the charge port to start charging was added in FW 6.0 by holding the trunk button on the keyfob. So now with the fob in hand you can fully manage the charging from start to end :)

I looked into getting something similar, as I was forever forgetting to open the port, and the unlock process seemed to fail sometimes.. But since 6.1(and some versions of 6.0) the fob does it anyway, it seemed a bit of a waste of money.

Double click roof to unlock, hold trunk button for 5 seconds to open.

I'd prefer it was hold the roof/ triple click to open port, as I've accidentally opened the trunk a few times by mistake. But it's a minor complaint.

Last edited: