Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D w/coils delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I moved my P+ from air onto coils to improve feel and handling. I have been absolutely thrilled with the feel and handling of my P85D and will not be moving it to coils.

lolachampcar, so you think coil on P85D wont be better than air? I am into this dilema too...I have ordered coil but will be able to change before its too late...I can sacrifice comfort for performance

luster,
I'm sorry about that but it is exactly why I poached into a D coil thread with air info. This is just my opinion but I had such a problem with the P+ air floaty feeling that I blew $2500 to buy complete coil/damper assemblies from Tesla to "fix" it. I have no issue with the PD air and would encourage anyone with concerns to go drive the car.

Aside from the great advantage of adjustable (and automatic) clearance, has anyone attempted a blind A - B test to see if:

1. any difference can be detected between air/coil
2. which might be better under different conditions?

Lacking such testing I suspect air/coil decisions are a victory of presumption over reality.

30k miles with air, and recently drove a factory-fresh coil loaner 300 miles. Gave up trying to discern any difference. :rolleyes:
--

Aside from the great advantage of adjustable (and automatic) clearance, has anyone attempted a blind A - B test to see if:

1. any difference can be detected between air/coil
2. which might be better under different conditions?

Lacking such testing I suspect air/coil decisions are a victory of presumption over reality.

30k miles with air, and recently drove a factory-fresh coil loaner 300 miles. Gave up trying to discern any difference. :rolleyes:
--
Coils are typically beneficial over a longer period of ownership whereas air suspension may offer a slightly smoother ride initially.

I have a p85d arriving.

I I live in the Bay Area and went with the 21" wheels.

However, I wonder whether there are better/lighter aftermarket wheels to get some unsparing weight off the corners?

fir $4.500 for the Tesla 21" upgrade that's a nice set of wheels.

Hamdling is is a priority provided the wheel is strong.

We lost the topic of the thread, didn't we? So has anyone actually taken delivery of a non-smart-air-suspension P85D? I have one on order but it hasn't started production, yet :-(

Mine's on order too. But from what I've read, the air suspension is not the same as adaptive ride suspensions that can be found on other cars. This means that the dampers are NOT adjustable based on road conditions. It seems to me that besides having the ability to lower and raise the car, there will only be a marginal difference between the two setups in terms of ride quality. If the air suspension was capable of adjusting the softness/stiffness based on rough/smooth roads, I would have totally went for it.

and you bring up the primary difference between the two.....
Coils must support the car when empty and fully loaded. These two points define the ride height extremes. Coils must sit higher than air for this reason. I also suspect that the spring rate of the coils is higher than that of the air system; again to control ride height at the two extremes of loading or, more specifically, narrow the ride height gap between the two extremes thus reducing the zero loaded ride height (as the fully loaded is likely some absolute minimum ride height).

My biggest beef with my P+ air (and why I changed it to coils) was that there was insufficient damping to control the softer air springs thus giving the car a floaty feeling. Tesla fixed that with the PD making it the best of both worlds for me.

That's all fascinating and would play extremely well in a "Coils vs. Air" thread.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with "Tracking P85D w/coils delievery"

Well, my car is in production now, so hopefully I'll be able to add a useful post to this in a couple of weeks.

Another data point ... I ordered a P85D with springs ... my local guy called, emailed, cajoled until I agreed to change from springs to air. My lock day was last Friday.

I don't think Tesla really intends on producing the P85D with springs.