Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to hear any regrets.

Did you get the wrong colour?
Did you get the S, but wish you got the P?
Did you get the P, but wish you got the S?
Did you get the 19's, but wish you got the 21's?
Did you get the 21's, but wished you got the 19's?
Did you get the pano, wished you got the non-pano?
Did you get upgraded sound, but wished you hadn't?
Did you make a mistake buying a Tesla?

Or, are you perfectly satisfied and having the time of your life driving a truly wonderful vehicle :biggrin:

Interested to hear any regrets.

Did you get the wrong colour?
Did you get the S, but wish you got the P?
Did you get the P, but wish you got the S?
Did you get the 19's, but wish you got the 21's?
Did you get the 21's, but wished you got the 19's?
Did you get the pano, wished you got the non-pano?
Did you get upgraded sound, but wished you hadn't?
Did you make a mistake buying a Tesla?

Or, are you perfectly satisfied and having the time of your life driving a truly wonderful vehicle :biggrin:

I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention.

These are all sacrifices for financial purposes as most of us make, but:

Got an S, but wished I got the P. Upgraded to a P, then they went and announced the PD right before the P arrived, and now I wish I got the PD.

Got the 19s... Then later got 20s which I like better.

Got air on my first car...coils on the second because many were saying the difference wasn't significant and I was looking to save a few bucks. Boy were they wrong--coils ride significantly rougher IMHO. Wish I'd gotten air the second time around for a smoother ride and aesthetics (though I won't miss the extra maintenance costs).

Got the Sound Studio upgrade on my first car...skipped it on the second because of the price increase to the Ultra High Fidelity system. The base sound system is empty/underpowered, and the upgrade does not properly handle certain lower frequencies (causing distortion in some tracks). I'm getting the Reus upgrade on Monday and from what I hear that is something I will NOT regret :).

Got the carbon fiber interior on my second car. While I love it, I probably should have stayed with Piano Black and put that money toward the air suspension. I liked the Piano Black, and while I like the carbon fiber more, I could've used the upcharge to pay for a good chunk of the air suspension.

No regrets so far (other than the stock, but my experience has been that if I purchase a stock it will lose most of its value within a few weeks, so I suspect Tesla is happy I didn't.)

Much as Todd, I got a second chance at ordering. Was very happy with my original S60 but am over the moon with the PD.

Regrets that I had with my original order which I've remedied now:

- Skipped leather altogether (the next gen leather seats even) to get textile. I found the leather seats in the first car to be slippery, sweat-inducing and not very durable (they were showing signs of wear in just over 18 months). Love the two-tone look with textile and happy to have the subzero heated seats all around to go with it.

- Got the dual chargers this time vs the single charger. Love to see the faster fillup at HPWCs at work and get my car out of the way quickly for others to plugin. Am sure they'd come in very handy on roadtrips in the future.

- Got the pano roof this time although we haven't yet opened it up this winter. More headroom all around (needed now as it appears that the newer seats don't lower as much as they used to with the first few thousand cars produced).

- Love the black Alcantara headliner that wasn't available back in early 2013. Gives the interior a cozy, elegant, lush look.

The only regret I have is having to WAIT about 10 months for my financials to align up to place my P85D order.
Till then I am studying the car and this forum for all the pearls of wisdom I can gather.
As it stands now, the only thing I will not order on my D will be the rear facing seats and the new custom rear seats.
Other than that, I am going whole hog as it were.
Cosmetically... Color will be grey, tan interior, with Obeche matte and 21's grey and black headliner.
Going with the high end sound system... at 65 with shotgun shooter's ears... that is all I need for my classic rock and blues.
I will get dark grey turbine fan 19s in short order after that for winter tires.
Plan on taking delivery in April of 2016 with an order around Thanksgiving of this year.
Do not want the new car smack dab in the middle of the snow season....
Just got a HPWC which will be installed this spring, as the garages are being modified over the summer.

Last edited:
Wish I would have ordered the dual chargers on my P85D. I have an old house with old electrical service, and a detached garage that would have required an 80' trench to upgrade the electrical in my garage. Bids to do this were in the $4k range. So HPWC is not in the cards for me. But as I start to think about road trips away from supercharger areas I think I should have spent the $1500.

I've yet to acquire my Model S, having shifted from an 85 that would have come last December to an 85D coming in "March." I would like to get the car but am hoping it was worth the wait for the change, so not regretting it.

I regret not getting a clear wrap or other paint protection. After nearly 2 years my paint has quite a few rock chips.

Otherwise, I think I got a great deal on my P85, and have loved every minute of it. 2012 pricing was nearly fully loaded, minus sound upgrade, for <100k. Included in base price was: air suspension, 21s, what is now upgraded interior (extended leather, interior lighting), carbon fiber trim, performance trim seats.

I regret not getting a clear wrap or other paint protection. After nearly 2 years my paint has quite a few rock chips.

Otherwise, I think I got a great deal on my P85, and have loved every minute of it. 2012 pricing was nearly fully loaded, minus sound upgrade, for <100k. Included in base price was: air suspension, 21s, what is now upgraded interior (extended leather, interior lighting), carbon fiber trim, performance trim seats.

I got a front wrap but I do regret not wrapping the headlights and foglights and putting a clear coating on the windshield. Those pieces of my car are damaged from sand and other road grit while the rest that was protected with xpel look fine

I bought an inventory car. It was black it looks great. My wife would have preferred white or silver. White for me says "I went looking for a car this is all they had." Anyway should have held out for silver, for my wife.