Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New purchase - finalising options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

This is all happening very fast but after a recent drive I am changing from a 911 turbo (996) to a Tesla Model S 85kW! I managed to get the order in before the price rise last night but before confirming spec and freezing for production I wanted to get some thoughts...

tesla_spec.jpg

I was back and forwards with leather but couldn't get past how saggy most leather cars look already, does this align with others?
Second one is charger, as chademo is practically on us I think DC is the way forwards, is this correct also for European charging? I'm a bit unsure what charge speed I should expect from a single phase 32A (probably Rolec) home system, I think this should be 7kW which is obviously below the 11kW rating but does the fact it's single phase limit it down to 3.5kW like the online calculator seems to show as it only gives 16A option with single charger? If there's doubt I could up spec to twin charger but I have a feeling it is wasted money for how often I would likely use it and the money would be better off in a chademo adapter which will be available by the time I get the car in April.

Any/all thoughts would be appreciated, very exciting times, I really never saw me getting this excited about an electric car, I'm normally in excess of 400bhp and turbos!

Cheers,
Rich

I have a black car, similar spec (but I only needed a 60). I went for leather over the fabric, and am happy with the choice. It's still holding up fine at 6 months, and I went for the tan (which is actually much nicer in the flesh than on the design studio, and gives a nice contrast to the piano black and makes the cabin feel airier than the black interiors to me).

The sort of journeys you do will be a factor in charging. Dual charging is obviously the most flexible. You get 22kW points at carparks for example, but not Rapids. Hopefully you are right and the CHAdeMO comes out in April, though we've heard the sound of deadlines whooshing past a number of times on this front :(
Until the CHAdeMO comes out if you travel places not well served by Superchargers, the dual chargers could be a godsend (I know having waited for 1 hour to get 30 miles range, wishing I'd ponied up for dual chargers). If your normal routes are more Supercharger friendly, then even without dual chargers right now, you'd probably be fine.

I get 30A on my single charger enabled car when home charging, this is quick enough to get a full charge in overnight, which is the important bit. I'm not sure if this will change with new cars (currently all cars are dual charger, but software limited to 11kW).

I recently got a fully loaded P85 as a Loaner. The biggest single improvement was actually the audio if I'm honest. Though it certainly drew more attention in white, even though it was only wearing Winter 19s. The performance seats were not as comfortable as the standard ones in my view. I've not tried the "NG" seats, but I'd go for standard ones over performance if that was the choice.

Whatever you choose, you'll love the car.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses. The price, on my car at least, went up just over £2k, it was expected to be between 3-7% so that tallies. Where abouts are you Jamie? I'm in Warwick Gates so no doubt we will see each other around! My worry is the technical spec of a single charger car at the moment, if UK cars are still built with twin chargers then I'll be happy enough with single I think, not often that I'll rely on going down to 11kW, will mostly be CHAdeMO, supercharger or overnight at home 7kW. I have been assured they will be happening by the time I get my car and Tesla promised this month at the Detroit show. I guess worst case I just want the back up option of being able to upgrade with minimal cost (ie option cost)
Any pics of yours online smac?

Rich

Rich, I'm up near IBM. Hoping you can take me for a spin when you get yours to ease the pain of waiting for mine!

The guys in Birmingham Tesla have a chademo in the store, and he promised they would be out in WEEKS. Ok, so 52 weeks is a year, but everything suggested pretty imminent release of the adapter.

Similar to you, I'm thinking bulk will be at home charging, with occasional supercharging, but also starting a crusade to get customers I visit to install a charge point for their green credentials to help adoption of EV. FWIW, I heard that Euro cars don't have the dual charge hardware any more, so it is not just the case of a software upgrade.

Jamie

That's my worry, if Euro/UK cars don't have twin charger hardware then upgrading later on will be much more expensive, I've asked for an upgrade price on a new car.
Yup, can definitely go for a spin, would be nice to experience the P85D when you get yours too! I'm hoping it arrives in time for a friend's wedding up in Scotland in May so that will be a good roadtrip to get to know it! One way of speeding up delivery will be to confirm earlier than the normal 2 weeks 'cooling off' time hence my questions..

Hi Everyone,
I was back and forwards with leather but couldn't get past how saggy most leather cars look already, does this align with others?

If you don't like leather in general (as I don't) then the textile seats are a good option. I went textile and don't regret it (although the one hidden downside is that the leather seats have a small storage pocket on the front of the seat but textile don't).

Second one is charger, as chademo is practically on us I think DC is the way forwards, is this correct also for European charging? I'm a bit unsure what charge speed I should expect from a single phase 32A (probably Rolec) home system, I think this should be 7kW which is obviously below the 11kW rating but does the fact it's single phase limit it down to 3.5kW like the online calculator seems to show as it only gives 16A option with single charger? If there's doubt I could up spec to twin charger but I have a feeling it is wasted money for how often I would likely use it and the money would be better off in a chademo adapter which will be available by the time I get the car in April.

You are quite right that for UK use the CHAdeMO adapter (when available) is better value than dual chargers - 99% of public en-route charging opportunities where you can get 22kW are at multi-headed charge points that also have CHAdeMO. Northern Ireland may be an exception - there seems to be a lot of 22kW points there, though I haven't tried them personally.

It might turn out that you often go somewhere that has 22kW charging (or a conveniently-located 32A 3-phase outlet that you could plug a portable EVSE into), but you need a) such a place pops up, b) your trip there actually needs charging, c) your typical trip has you spending long enough there that 22kW vs 11kW makes a difference _and_ you don't spend so long there that you will get a full charge even at 11kW. Could happen, but unless you've already scoped one out (I assume you've been thinking about all your regular trips and how you are going to handle them), probably such a rare chance it's not worth bothering about.

Adding Europe into the mix changes a couple of things - much more 3-phase rather than single phaseover there (but this is good - more chance of getting the best out of a single-charger car), and less easy to generalise about public charging infrastructure. Probably as a general statement there's less CHAdeMO (though it depends where you go); there's no huge swathes of 22kW charge points, but when scavenging around in one of the less well served areas you are perhaps more likely than in the UK to find 22kW AC without any CHAdeMO nearby.

But it's really a question of how you look at the car. I think I've seen three different approaches to road-tripping a Model S:

a) Only go where it's easy (Superchargers etc.), which really covers a high percentage of most people's trips. For more demanding trips, take the train/plane/rental car/spare ICE car you keep in the garage.
b) Carefully plan your routes in advance, buy extra adapters etc only if needed for a particular trip, maybe detour to ensure all-supercharger routing.
c) Load up the car with all kinds portable EVSE, cables, charging network membership cards etc. and drive off into the blue with the confidence that you will somehow or other scrape together a charging solution for wherever you end up going.

All are valid - it's a matter of personal style.

But do bear in mind the psychology of charging. 7kW (or 11kW) is fine for overnight charging, but glacially slow if you are sitting there watching it, particularly with family in tow - you plug in, explore the local shops/amusements, get back to the car to find you've barely added enough miles to cover the detour you took to get to the charge point. 22kW (dual chargers) is just about manageable as a way of extending your journey - at 60 miles added per hour of charging, a lunch stop can add enough to make the difference on typical UK trips where you are nearly within range without charging. But even 22kW isn't enough for sensibly adding a full recharge while you are sitting waiting because you want to continue your journey.

I don't think there's significant risk of Tesla taking away the ability for UK cars with single charger to charge from 32A single-phase charge points. Note that the single charger cars have always had the ability to charge from 32A single phase via the UMC (which uses non-standard wiring on the type2 connector). The problem arose when they realised that UK has a lot of standard type2 points at 32A single phase - notably those supplied under the OLEV scheme for home chargepoints, After messing around with jury-rigged Chargemaster points, they gave in and started fitting all UK cars with dual chargers and a software limitation if you hadn't paid for the second one. What we can reasonably expect them to do in the future is to add the additional contactor needed so that single charger cars can natively charge from 32A single phase, and then stop fitting the second charger by default. If so, cars ordered with single charger will behave exactly as they do now, it will just be the cheap upgrade path to dual chargers that's been taken away.

Thanks Arg, your last point is exactly my concern, if my car is built with dual chargers and software limited that's fine. It's just from what I am gathering from my Tesla sales guy it may be that they have solved the issue and I'll only have a single charger. I'll be happy that I can easily/cheaply upgrade in the future if there are limited twins. We would like to do some Euro road trips, probably as far as Spain where the infrastructure may not be as well supported for EV but until that is planned I was going to spend the money I have now on options that I can better use. I'm waiting for a call back from Tesla support, hopefully they will allay my concerns!

Nice, I'm going with the stock wheels too, think they look nice and to have easier availability of tyres should the worst happen. Was that for a new TV series or something?

I got some updates, it seems that UK spec are now indeed built with only one charger so updating later on will be more expensive (maybe up to £1k over option price). I got conflicting information about how much charge I could get from a high current single phase charger. As I was on the fence I think I'm just going to go for twin, as a safety net and to help on Euro trips. I'll be able to add it at pre-rise prices.

I was also informed that the CHAdeMO adapter is now in production and they are expecting them in mid February sometime at ~£450. This gives a bit of a buffer to my late April delivery date, I was getting a bit wobbly about the whole thing earlier but this should be OK.

It was for a pilot TV show... who knows if it will ever make mainstream TV :) Was a fun day out though, and nice to be back stage, and see all the camera cranes and stuff in action. Very repetitive business though.

Dual chargers are probably a wise decision.

On Arg's list I'm at a) in reality, as I've got access to other ICE cars.

I did buy a 3 Pin to Type 2 adapter and it saved me once. (I got caught out by the snow and couldn't get up my driveway to my home charger, the three pin meant I could plug in at a mates house). It only charges at 6 miles per hour, but the 100+ miles I gained until I collected it the next day, sorted me until the snow melted.

Hi Everyone,

This is all happening very fast but after a recent drive I am changing from a 911 turbo (996) to a Tesla Model S 85kW! I managed to get the order in before the price rise last night but before confirming spec and freezing for production I wanted to get some thoughts...

View attachment 70121

Any/all thoughts would be appreciated, very exciting times, I really never saw me getting this excited about an electric car, I'm normally in excess of 400bhp and turbos!

Cheers,
Rich

Hi Rich

i have had the same thoughts and worries as you and this is how I resolved them ....

I was originally going to order the car with textile seats as I do quite like them and was also worried about the leather seats "sagging" but decided with this level of car leather seats are almost expected and
I think I'd always think the interior would be lacking something if I'd not gone with leather.

The dual chargers was an easy decision for me. I fully expect 95% of my charging to be at home but on the very very rare occasions that I need an emergency charge somewhere else with a moaning wife and 2 kids in the back I'd prefer an hour stop over a 2 hour stop every time. 1 hour is fine - 2 hours starts to become an inconvenience. I appreciate Chademo could change this though.

I want to be able to take my bikes occasionally so a pano roof was essential

The main dilema for me was over the wheels. I love the look of the 21" wheels but know I *should* get the 19" wheels (better range, tyre wear, etc) - in the end I compromised and ordered my car with the 19" turbine wheels .... However after many sleepless nights I changed to the 21" cyclones just before my build as I know I'd always regret it if I didn't go with what I really want!!!

I've also never been so excited over a car either but it is the most technologically advanced car in the world!

I'm sure you love whatever options you finally decide on

Roy

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rich

i have had the same thoughts and worries as you and this is how I resolved them ....

I was originally going to order the car with textile seats as I do quite like them and was also worried about the leather seats "sagging" but decided with this level of car leather seats are almost expected and
I think I'd always think the interior would be lacking something if I'd not gone with leather.

The dual chargers was an easy decision for me. I fully expect 95% of my charging to be at home but on the very very rare occasions that I need an emergency charge somewhere else with a moaning wife and 2 kids in the back I'd prefer an hour stop over a 2 hour stop every time. 1 hour is fine - 2 hours starts to become an inconvenience. I appreciate Chademo could change this though.

I want to be able to take my bikes occasionally so a pano roof was essential

The main dilema for me was over the wheels. I love the look of the 21" wheels but know I *should* get the 19" wheels (better range, tyre wear, etc) - in the end I compromised and ordered my car with the 19" turbine wheels .... However after many sleepless nights I changed to the 21" cyclones just before my build as I know I'd always regret it if I didn't go with what I really want!!!

I've also never been so excited over a car either but it is the most technologically advanced car in the world!

I'm sure you love whatever options you finally decide on

Roy

... Oh and while you're waiting you'll end up ordering all sorts for your new baby ..so far I've ordered ...

Rolec 32a charger at home
Rolec 3 phase charger at work
3x magnetic battery lights for the trunk/trunk
3M protector tape for the sills
Alloygators to protect the wheels
Ratio 16a portable charger
commando to 3 pin adapter for above
Nilfisk pressure washer
snow foam adapter and snowfoam
2 bucket car wash and gritguards
new security camera system at home!

... And I'm sure there will be more before the car arrives in March!!

Hi Roy,
I was also planning Rolec, it looks to be the nicest and with really good customer feedback so when I finalise I'll make arrangements. I've already got a nilfisk and snowfoam which is why I went with black, more satisfying when you clean it, if only for the first 5 minutes that it stays clean! I'll have a look at the others you mentioned now! Regarding leather, I think I'll stick with the textile but I am leaving the option of having a custom leather retrim later on in better quality with some additional stitching to avoid the sagging issues..

Dammit, now I'm thinking about leather again!!! Maybe I could sacrifice the pano roof for the second charger and leather...

lol, I'm in the nilfisk + snowfoam gang too :D (Then we will get into a religious war about which wax to use :D , FWIW I'm going with Colinite which is doing a good job as you can see from the shine in my photos ;) )

I'm with Roy on the leather. If I turned up at work/pub and showed my co-workers/mates my new £70k car and it didn't have leather they'd tease me constantly. Tesla is in many ways a bit like BMW of old where, as the old joke goes, even the steering wheel was an optional extra. :D

If I was ordering again tomorrow, the only things I'd change is to not cheap out and get the S85, and probably add dual chargers.

Regarding a portable charger, I'd get a Tesla UMC with the 3 pin adaptor. In the long run it's cheaper as you can add adapters (I ordered before the UMC was even available, let alone a 3 Pin adapter, and have the same Ratio unit as Roy. It works, but if I were to try and charge from a 32A industrial point I'd need another complete unit.)

A good point Roy raises with the Pano Roof is you can't add a roof rack without it. I'm a keen MTB'er and did debate it, TBH the Model S isn't the right car for a weekend trip to remote parts of Scotland right now anyway, so I bought a Kia Sedona for £1200 instead :D

I would. As we've all said whatever you choose you'll love it, and often your initial instincts are correct.

I'd be happy to show you my car next time I'm in the neighbourhood, and I'm sure someone with fabric interior / pano roof would too if you asked nicely enough ;)

The other ancillaries can wait. (UMC etc. ;) )

First Gz on ordering the Tesla MS.

I have to say I ordered dual charges and I'm very happy with them. I live in the Northwest of the UK and travel both North and South. On Southern journeys the SC are just perfect for all travel, however if I go north, in winter, with family, I'm so glad I got the dual chargers, just to help out a little. That being said, later this year I will be purchasing a three pin standard lead charger as my family and I are traveling out of the reach of the only Northern SC at Edinburgh airport.

See UK Supercharger locations currently unbalanced. for my personal thoughts on current UK SC layout.

Again big Gz on your order.

I took delivery of a P85 last June with pretty much all the options apart from the 21" turbine wheels.

If I was ordering a car today, I'd buy a P85D with pretty much all the options apart from dual chargers.

In June 2014 the second charger was a useful insurance policy when the pace of the SC rollout, and the timetable of the CHAdeMO adaptor, were uncertain.

Today it seems clear that the SC rollout is going to continue at a strong pace, and that the CHAdeMO adaptor is not far away, so the second charger is a complete waste of £1250 IMO*. Personally I doubt I will ever make use of mine again.

*unless you have 3 phase power at home or your office, in which case it would be very tempting to be able to access 22kW charging.

Hi, fellow newbie here who placed initial order last Monday and confirmed my 85D today.

I questioned the dual charger status and late last week was told I could upgrade to dual charger at pretty much the same price in the future if I needed to, so it seems they still expect it to be a software activation - or at least the sales rep I spoke with did (but he said he checked). So no dual charger in my order!

I went with panoramic roof, tech package and air suspension. I went for the textile seats as I tend to avoid leather as much as possible being a veggie and I heard good things about them.

Been trying to convince a chap who works for me and lives north of Coventry to go for a test drive.