Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian child seats for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Had a go at installing my existing child seats in my new beast today with mixed results. I've been using imported isofix seats (illegally) for the last few years which are absolutely awesome. The rear-facing one for my 1-year-old clicks into the isofix attachments very nicely and I'm happy enough with that. The booster seat I have for my 4-year-old is a bit problematic though. It has 'surefix' clips that attach to the isofix adapters well (this one). The problem is that the isofix clips in the model s are displaced a little centrally and the seatbelt attachment ends up behind the seat which makes it very difficult to click in.

I figured the best solution to this is to just get an Australian standard booster seat and use the top-tether rather than the isofix attachments. Hopefully this will be better centered on the seat and won't be dramatically more difficult to use than the surefix clips. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been using a booster seat with their Model S and has any recommendations or cautions.

boosters seats 4+ don't require top tether. so have you tired one without ?

by the way isofix is now legal in australia but require recertification (because we are demanding isofix and top tether ) so there are only 2 models but only available in 0-4 year configurations

Do you have the model brand names at all?

I would like to upgrade my child seats to ISOFIX.

So we have to top tether also? Doesn't make it much quicker or easier really does it?

Oh well...

I've never found ISOFIX to be much quicker or easier to install, but way more secure. I've always been shocked that Australia didn't have it. The first time coming with our child I searched the seat of our rental car quite a while looking for the anchors to attach the car seat we had brought with us.

I thought for car seats (as opposed to boosters) it was always used with the tether, it certainly is in the US.

As far as the original question, are you trying to attach the booster in the center position? The Model S only has 5 isofix anchors instead of 6 (unless they've changed it since I got my car), so attaching something in the center does end up being a little odd.

Last edited:
Do you have the model brand names at all?

I would like to upgrade my child seats to ISOFIX.

ISOGO | Dorel Australia is the first one i found when I looked late last year might me more by now. I’ll google later.

- - - Updated - - -

extra information

goverment site with faq on why imported isofix is illegal FAQs | Child Car Seats - Make the safest choice

and another brand Safe-n-Sound Platinum SICT ISOFIX Compatible Car Seat - Britax AU

so 3 isofix compatible seats so far and none are cheap unfortunately.

I don't think isofix is much easier but it's easier to do it right. the old system has a lot of room for errors.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm very well informed on the issue of isofix in Australia. The rule allowing them but only with a top-tether attached is a ridiculous one that adds no safety features but protects a lot of existing industry stakeholders. The suggestion that Australia has the world's highest standards for child seats is demonstrably laughable and I have been following Scandinavian guidelines instead.

Anyway, that's enough ranting.

I was hoping that someone would be able to save me a trip to that most unholy of places; Baby Bunting. I found myself there this afternoon trying a few booster seats in the car ('what kind of car is this?' asked the salesperson - heehee). The Safe-n-Sound HiLiner SG seemed to fit acceptably, but not brilliantly - top-tether attached. I will probably go back and purchase it tomorrow as online reviews seem OK.

I put my exisiting booster seats (two of them) into my car and they look great but are an absolute pain as they cover the seat belt insertion points.

My children (4 and 6) used to be able to click in their own belts but can't now. The 'solution' is I have to yank the seat towards the door, wait until they click in and then push the seat back. As far as getting out of the belts it is hit and miss as to if they can undo them themselves. I am literally counting down the days till my 6 year old turns 7 and I can dump the seat and she will be able to help her sister with the other one.

This problem is for me the only annoying thing about the car.

The seats I have are Hi-Pod Bostons.

Don't get me started on the ISO-Fix situation. Australia's unique design and safety regulations are simply non-tariff trade barriers.

Don't get me started on the ISO-Fix situation. Australia's unique design and safety regulations are simply non-tariff trade barriers.

Thankyou for succinctly saying what I would have ended up frothing at the mouth for 8 paragraphs trying to say! Although you missed the bit about the low-grade corruption (the boards making the decisions are heavily stacked with Oz child seat and vehicle manufacturers).

Excuse my naivety (I don't have a child) but doesn't the top point help in side impacts?

it's more even if you have one that has isofix and a top tether it still has to go through Australian standards. we have no mutual agreements. the standard also requires labels to be put on seats telling you if the child is the right size for the seat. ie if shoulders are below this line child is too small etc..which also seems unique to Australia. so yes it's basically a trade barrier. with the excuse of it's protecting our children more.

Hi all,

I did some research into car seats for the Model S a while ago, and remember many people in the US having this issue with the car seat covering the seat belt. I believe that you can purchase an adapter which solves this issue. I will try and see if I can find the information again, i think people were buying the adapter from Ebay.

Is there really only 5 isofix points in the Model S? not six?

Hi all,

I did some research into car seats for the Model S a while ago, and remember many people in the US having this issue with the car seat covering the seat belt. I believe that you can purchase an adapter which solves this issue. I will try and see if I can find the information again, i think people were buying the adapter from Ebay.

Is there really only 5 isofix points in the Model S? not six?

Yeah, I thought of this and have done a little bit of googling around it. It looks like you can buy seatbelt extender things that would do the job for about $60 here. Probably cheaper on ebay. I think the biggest problem with them is that they would give a permanent false-positive on the seatbelt alarm.

I've ordered a new booster which I can pick up tomorrow. I'll report how easy it is to use. I probably need it anyway as the cars are parked at opposite ends of the house (one on the street, one in the garage via rear laneway), so swapping it between cars will be a major hassle.