Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honda axes Accord in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Honda has strugged to sell the Accord in a segment where even the most popular mass-market models such as the Volkswagen Passat and Ford Mondeo are losing sales to premium rivals such as the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C Class.

Brannan said the midsize segment is dominated by corporate sales to German premium brands. “The cost to compete is eye-watering,” he said.

Honda has strugged to sell the Accord in a segment where even the most popular mass-market models such as the Volkswagen Passat and Ford Mondeo are losing sales to premium rivals such as the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes C Class.

Brannan said the midsize segment is dominated by corporate sales to German premium brands. “The cost to compete is eye-watering,” he said.

This is no surprise to me.

I have read that in Europe, sedans are generally not as popular as hatchbacks and wagons, at least in the mainstream segments.

Honda has no one to blame but themselves, because the European Accord (North American Acura TSX) went from being a nimble, roughly USDM Civic-sized car, to a bloated boat with mediocre steering. The better-handling North American Accord is too big for the Euro market. Honda could have exported the newer Acura TLX to Europe and re-badged it as an Accord, but I guess that option was too expensive.

In Europe the Accord is offered in the supposedly very popular "Estate" version.

2014-honda-accord-tourer-type-s-diesel-rear-quarter-view.jpg

9070911.018.1M.jpg

In Europe the Accord is offered in the supposedly very popular "Estate" version.

I forgot about that one... it was actually offered in the U.S. market too for a short time, as the Acura TSX Sport Wagon.

Honda Motor Co. opted to replace the TSX with the TLX, but made the TLX a North America Only product, and did not develop an Estate form factor version. TLX was therefore a non-started in the EU market.