Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Challenge Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
World Solar Challenge 2015
Movie: worlds first family solar-powered car

I think it would be really fun to modify a Tesla Model S or Roadster 3.0 and enter the race.
I would cover the car with solar panels and put on narrow low rolling resistance tires and call it done.

You get to charge once per day, and need to cover 3000km in less than 40 hours of driving over 5 days to win.
That's only about 375 miles per day and an average speed of 45mph.

You get penalized for using energy from the grid, but you could make up for the speed advantage you would have over the pure solar cars.

Is this humor? I can't tell, sorry.

You might want to re-read the rules a bit more carefully.

The Model S is too large, exceeds the size limits.

Only one recharge is allowed in the 3000 km course, the way I read it.

The amount of power from the solar panels you could mount on a roadster would not power the radio. Well, it would make no difference in the range of the vehicle, at any rate.

Yes it's a joke. I've read the rules that very carefully prohibit a BEV from competing.

I just think it is funny that a Model S or Roadster 3.0 could win the 3000 km race with one overnight charge per day.
No fossil fuel necessary.

On a more serious note I think it would be a more interesting competition if the rules weren't so constraining to force the cars into their narrow preconceived notion and reducing innovation.