Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP! J1772 Adapter stuck in Charge poirt locked in, Red Ring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help, I am not able to dig through the forums right now. Put in the J1772 adapter. Immediately red ring, "Pull Over safely vehicle shutting down" "12v battery low" "Vehicle Needs Service" "Contact Tesla Service".

I tried rebooting, but nothing I do will unlock the locking pin holding the adapter in. I have a standard lead acid charger on the 12v. It was 12.2v upon connection (5 minutes after arriving and getting the warning).

Can someone point me to where the guide to manually unlock the charging pin is? Tesla service will be picking it up but it will be a while. I want to see if it's the J1772 adapter causing the issue as it was instant when that thing hit the charge port.

And here, I thought going on 2 years with my original 12v :(
Things were going so well after getting it back from major over-haul :( Glad this didn't happen while driving to Detroit again tonight :( I would have had my 4 year old with me.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I know this sounds silly and you've probably already tried it. But try locking the car and then unlocking it. I had this happen with a UMC and it worked. Ended up needing a new master charger but...was able to drive the car to tesla.

Tried it.

Tow truck driver is here right now. Ironically, same tow driver that picked me up when my Main Pack failed 17,000 miles ago (within 20 miles) On July 23ish.

J1772 adapter removal problems

I've also had many problems removing the J1772, even weeks after taking ownership of my P85D.

Every morning I approach the car, wait for it to unlock, then disconnect the J1772 charger from the adapter, then try to pull the adapter out of the car. 80% of the time it remains locked in the charging port. Then I try holding down the trunk fob button. Half the time this does the trick. Otherwise I have to lock and unlock the car and open and half-close the charge port cover repeatedly until the damn thing lets go of the adapter.

Has anyone found a reliable way to remove the adapter?

I've also had many problems removing the J1772, even weeks after taking ownership of my P85D.

Every morning I approach the car, wait for it to unlock, then disconnect the J1772 charger from the adapter, then try to pull the adapter out of the car. 80% of the time it remains locked in the charging port. Then I try holding down the trunk fob button. Half the time this does the trick. Otherwise I have to lock and unlock the car and open and half-close the charge port cover repeatedly until the damn thing lets go of the adapter.

I betcha pushing the button on the UMC would get it to release.

We've never had a problem removing the adapter and it's used by my wife at least once a week. We unlock the chargeport and then remove the adapter with J1772 still connected, then remove the adapter from the J1772. Works every time.

Edit: Just saw Mike's post above; that's exactly what we do.

I never had problems with the J1772 adapter on my old P85. I've run into the same problems you mention with it on the P85D constantly.

One of the problems with the P85D is the "unlock chargeport" button on the touchscreen has been replaced with a "close chargeport" button instead.

I reported these issues to ServiceHelpNA a while ago.

I assume everyone has seen this:

View attachment 70101

Yes this.

There is a time limit that the the chargeport stays unlocked after unplugging the J1772 handle itself. If you unplug the J1772 handle, return it to the charging post, then come back to the car, the port has probably locked again on the adapter. The procedure in the attachment is correct that you have to pull them both out together, and then separate the adapter from the J1772. I have a J1772 in my office parking spot so I learned this dance after some trial and error. :)

It does sound like the adapter might be bad as my car normally does nothing when I insert or remove the adapter itself from the chargeport. I don't think it has any logic in it--it's purely an adapter.

-m

PS: I feel for ya iislandbayy, you've had all the major failures! At least you're getting them out of the way now...... plan for 100's of 1000's of smooth sailing miles ahead!

Just thought I would update on the situation. No problems with my 12v.

Apearantly, some sort of fluke. when adapter was inserted, something triggered a fault when I inserted the j1773 adapter that caused the car to go into a protective mode. ironically, after sitting overnight at the service center the adapter released it's via normal means. all logs checked, and adapter inserted and removed many times and they took it to a Chargepoint, supercharger and hpwc no more issues @_@. universe telling me not to go to Detroit. and if I had left as I had planned, I would have been sitting for hours on a closed freeway waiting for a 6 car pile up to be cleared...

The way the PDF suggests is not what I do, and seems like a harder way of doing it.

I do this:
1) Unlock the car
2) Press j1772 button to stop charging and release the lock
3) Release j1772 button to have the handle attached to the j1772-tesla adapter
4) pull j1772. Adapter will come out with it.
5) Press and hold j1772 button
6) Release the adapter from the j1772.

The way the PDF suggests is not what I do, and seems like a harder way of doing it.

I do this:
1) Unlock the car
2) Press j1772 button to stop charging and release the lock
3) Release j1772 button to have the handle attached to the j1772-tesla adapter
4) pull j1772. Adapter will come out with it.
5) Press and hold j1772 button
6) Release the adapter from the j1772.
Are you sure? That's exactly what the PDF suggests, with the possible exception of it suggesting using two hands to pull the adaptor/j1772 from the vehicle.