Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loading a Segway into a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am exploring the possibility of buying a Tesla. I currently have a Prius Plugin, and have owned a number of Prius's over the past few years. One advantage of the Prius is that it is a hatchback. I often ride and use a Segway. It is easy to load the Segway into the Prius by having it ride up a set of ramps into the cargo space. Placing a Segway into for removing it from the trunk or frunk of the Tesla would requiring lifting the device, which weighs about 80 pounds. Has any other Tesla owner figured out a solution for transporting a Segway in a Tesla?

The trunk and frunk of the Tesla is not a flat surface. I can use the ramp to bring the Segway to the edge of the trunk, but then the Segway would drop a foot or so into the trunk. Unloading the Segway would have to be raised to get to the ramp. With the Prius the bottom of the trunk is level with rear edge, so the Segway goes up and down the ramp and does not have to be lifted inside the vehicle.

I am exploring the possibility of buying a Tesla. I currently have a Prius Plugin, and have owned a number of Prius's over the past few years. One advantage of the Prius is that it is a hatchback. I often ride and use a Segway. It is easy to load the Segway into the Prius by having it ride up a set of ramps into the cargo space. Placing a Segway into for removing it from the trunk or frunk of the Tesla would requiring lifting the device, which weighs about 80 pounds. Has any other Tesla owner figured out a solution for transporting a Segway in a Tesla?
Talk about a first world problem!:smile:

The trunk and frunk of the Tesla is not a flat surface. I can use the ramp to bring the Segway to the edge of the trunk, but then the Segway would drop a foot or so into the trunk. Unloading the Segway would have to be raised to get to the ramp. With the Prius the bottom of the trunk is level with rear edge, so the Segway goes up and down the ramp and does not have to be lifted inside the vehicle.

I'm not near my car right now, but I don't think it's a foot drop. Maybe 6 inches at the most from what I recall. Can't you make a little ramp for the inside as well?

Even a 6" drop with an 80lb weight will quickly wreck the cover on footwell space in the back of the trunk. You'll need a ramp of some sort if you can't lift the Segway...either that or wait and see Model X looks like (it might well be more like a flat cargo bed).

Ditch the Segway and get one of these:
(This post is not directed at the OP of this topic, but at everyone)
The health benefits that result from vigorous walking are numerous. We have invented so many devices to avoid walking or exerting ourselves in any way that we are are killing ourselves through inaction.

My wife and I are about to get in our S, drive 10 miles to a local trailhead, and then spend most of the day walking about 15 miles with a total elevation gain of 2500 feet. We do that every Saturday.

You don't have to spend all day walking hard, you can just walk fast for 10 minutes daily and the benefits are substantial.

Get out and walk! Your circulatory system and brain need it.

Last edited:
Another Segway loading enquiry

Hi Samson

I too am a Prius owner and Segway user and I am also giving consideration to buying a Telsa S. As a handicapped guy who can stand yet not walk, I am very reliant on my Segway and have found that a hatchback offers many advantages to loading the Segway via my bi-folding ramps. I dismissed the possibility of using the frunk because it is so sunken/recessed. I envision loading my Segway into the rear of the Tesla and wonder how much the cargo floor is recessed below the trunk rim/bumper. It appears to be only 2 to 3 inches in photographs. It's not as if the Segway would drop off heavily in the transition from trunk rim to the cargo floor as the tires easily roll over small gaps, especially under power assist mode.

The Tesla S hatch appears large enough to permit the Segway, with the handle detached, to be powered up the ramps on to the slightly recessed rear cargo area,powered off and than laid forward with the stub shaft leaning over the rear seats and under the roof, just as I do with when loading it into my Prius.

My concern is whether the trunk could then be closed with the Segway loaded into the Tesla. The diameter of the Segway wheels are 22 inches plus 3 inches for the cargo handles. In essence the required height of the trunk floor to the hatch needs to be 25 inches in the 23 inches or so behind the rear seats.

Any thoughts Tesla owners?

I don't own a Segway, but I do own a tape measure and I was bored so I went out to my trunk.

There is a 5 inch drop from the lip to the floor.

The full height from the bottom of the trunk to the top of the hatch (not counting the sloping window) is about 26 inches, maybe a little more.

The side to side width of the lip itself is a little over 40 inches.

Another measurement please

Thank you for the prompt reply DC. At 25 and a bit inches of height it would be a tight fit if any depending on the angle of sloping hatch/window. One of the advantages my Prius offers, over other vehicles such as SUV's, to loading my Segway is the sloped hatch opening. Could I trouble you for another measurement? Can you measure the length of the opening from the mid point of the upper hatch edge to the floor, two or three inches from the bottom opening? I have included pics of both a Prius and Model S and the desired dimension I would like to know. I hope the pictures display larger once this is posted than they are in the creation of this post. It would be encouraging if this dimension is longer that 38 inches as that is the height or the Segway with the upper part of the handle removed. The Prius dimension is 40 inches.

Cheers
Nick

Model S hatch opening.jpg

Prius hatch opening.jpg

Attachments

• Prius hatch opening.jpg
    Prius hatch opening.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 144