Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Preconditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
So I thought I'd start a separate thread for this specific feature rather than have it get buried in the general 6.1 thread.

Has anybody had smart preconditioning kick in for them yet?

I've only had 6.1 for 3 days, and as luck has had it my schedule has been pretty wonky since then, so my car hasn't seen a consistent baseline for my schedule yet.

If anybody has seen it start working, how long did it take for your car to learn, and what's the behavior?

Pretty rigid/OCD with the times I commute-- down to the minute-- so preconditioning is welcome.

I just installed 6.1 last night and this morning the car didn't make any effort to precondition-- so at the very least, I can confirm that the feature does NOT use any of the preexisting on-board logs. (which seems like an obvious thing to do??)

I've had 6.1 since it came out. It took (from what I noticed in my morning daze) about 5 days for the pre-conditioning to learn my work schedule. I leave at 7:30am on the dot almost every day, I noticed one day it was pre-conditioning at about 7:10-15am. No idea if it started earlier than that.

I had smart preconditioning on for about a week or more up through a couple days with 2.2.113 and it wasn't doing a good job for me. My schedule for the work commute is very regular, but after work I would leave the house again on most days - at different times. I found the smart conditioning kicking in one evening as the car sat in the garage just by chance as I was looking at the app. At that point I just turned off the feature because I felt like it was wasting energy more than conserving. I know it's in the early stages so I'll give it some more time and maybe give it another shot later. I would probably prefer a non-smart preconditioning. :p

Well, despite only having 6.1 for 3 days and not leaving consistently each day, the car was warmed up for me today when I left about 2 hours early today... I'll have to check and see if it's enabling the HVAC early and just letting it run...

Not much. I leave within the same 30 min window pretty much everyday. I'll check tomorrow (Saturday) and see if it takes the weekends off.

Thanks, my mornings, 4 days a week, are fairly consistent, but my very first day was about an hour earlier than my usual. My afternoons, leaving work, again just 4 days a week, are within about 30 minutes of each other most days. I'm curious how well it does predicting my travels.

Also, do you have to leave the AC turned on for it to work? I sometimes turn mine off.

Have we been able to confirm, does the precondition ONLY occur when plugged in? Or will it also occur at other times? For me, I'm plugged in before leaving for work (AM), but would love preconditioning to occur before I leave work (on battery)

Mine was that latter scenario... sitting at my work parking lot this afternoon while not plugged in... the car was nice and toasty when I got inside.

Mine was that latter scenario... sitting at my work parking lot this afternoon while not plugged in... the car was nice and toasty when I got inside.
Very surprised at that. The release notes say it happens if the car is plugged in. Some would not want the car to be routinely preheated from the battery because of the effect on range. Of course you could do it manually from the app.

Very surprised at that. The release notes say it happens if the car is plugged in. Some would not want the car to be routinely preheated from the battery because of the effect on range. Of course you could do it manually from the app.

Hmm, where do you see that in the notes? According to the Release Notes online:

Smart Preconditioning (BETA)

With this release, Smart Preconditioning will automatically get the cabin climate ready for you, based on
the last set temperature and your driving schedule. Model S will observe your driving schedule and when
it’s confident in identifying a pattern, it will start Smart Preconditioning when you are charging, at home, or
at work.

Smart Preconditioning will be disabled by default. You can enable it via the SMART PRECONDITIONING
setting in Controls > Settings > Vehicle > CLIMATE.TESLA MOTORS - SOFTWARE UPDATE NOTIFICATION 5

Note:
-If you do not have a regular driving schedule, Model S will not be able to confidently identify a pattern
and may not ever start Smart Preconditioning for your car.

-Smart Preconditioning is only available if you save home and work locations.

I haven't compared the notes in-car with those online, but my experience is that it happened while unplugged...

Hmm, where do you see that in the notes? According to the Release Notes online:

I haven't compared the notes in-car with those online, but my experience is that it happened while unplugged...
I read "it will start preconditioning when you are charging at home or at work" without the commas. Otherwise it didn't make sense to me. What would "start preconditioning when you are charging" mean as a separate item from "home" and "work" ?

I read "it will start preconditioning when you are charging at home or at work" without the commas. Otherwise it didn't make sense to me. What would "start preconditioning when you are charging" mean as a separate item from "home" and "work" ?

Yeah, that phrasing could be better. It looks like it must mean that it will start pre-conditioning at home or at work, even if charging. The way it's written you aren't sure if "charging" is a prerequisite for it to kick in, or even just "plugged in".